Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you really care what happens in the Middle East?
Yes, because their problems affect us 87 36.40%
No, it's not our problem 138 57.74%
Not sure 14 5.86%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Nope... I probably have neighbors on my block who have problems but since I dont mettle in their affairs its doesnt effect my home.

However, if I start gossiping about their problems and tell people all my neighbors my opinion on the problem it definitely will become my problem.

I have never had a stranger in Texas tell me their problems are now my problem.
That's great. Don't worry, be happy and enjoy it while you can.

I wonder what all these countries are worried about...

http://www.barenakedislam.com/2011/0...slim-invaders/

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3030009AAHyOph
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7235556AAFDBhZ
Saudi Arabia hardens its tone against Muslim Brotherhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
True..but again, that's got nothing to do with us.

We're free to NOT meddle in a troubled Middle East.

Just buy the oil. I don't care who sells it to me.

Things like this have everything to do with us. In 1914 Americans thought that war was just a European affair and of no consequense to us. Within four years over two million young American males were on the front lines and one in 7 would never come home and an almost equal number were injured by gun fire scrapnel and poison gas attacks. Americans like you need to understand that conflagrations spread and before you know it the fires are singing us if not burning our national home down. 2014 is going to be a bad fire season out west.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Things like this have everything to do with us. In 1914 Americans thought that war was just a European affair and of no consequense to us. Within four years over two million young American males were on the front lines and one in 7 would never come home and an almost equal number were injured by gun fire scrapnel and poison gas attacks. Americans like you need to understand that conflagrations spread and before you know it the fires are singing us if not burning our national home down. 2014 is going to be a bad fire season out west.
Nonsense.

Outside of a ship sinking, the United States had no reason to enter WW1. None whatsoever.

That has nothing to do with the Middle East. Why can't you folks just leave the Arab World alone? Why is it so far fetched to stop meddling in their internal affairs? They don't like you....you're not gonna make them like you.

But no, you've just GOTTA be the typical know it all Americans and pretend to know what's best for other nations when your own country is a mess.

The arrogance is astounding.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It has dawned on me that I really don't care about the Middle East. I don't care about Israel. I don't care about the Palestinians. I don't care if they blow themselves up to smithereens. In fact I wish they would, then the rest of the world could finally catch a break from the endless, tedious, Israel/Islam conundrum. The first paragraph explains perfectly why "gentiles" shouldn't waste so much energy on the Middle East. They are a lost cause unto themselves-

Who Cares About the Middle East? - Taki's Magazine
In personal terms, I'm considered a gentile to one side and a kafir to the other. In other words, both sides consider me to be the "other." Yet if I dare mention it, one side will call me an anti-Semite and the other will dub me an Islamophobe. Both terms are unabashedly dishonest. One term presumes that Semites could never possibly do anything that might lead to anti-Semitism, while the other assumes that Muslims are never scary enough to induce Islamophobia. (Let's leave the discussion of what exactly constitutes a "Semite" for another day.)

Still, Americans are expected to care about the Middle East for reasons that are both pragmatic and ideological.

Americans Simply Don't Care About Peace in the Middle East
Can we really blame the president for not putting the full weight of his office behind the collapsing peace talks?

I'm sick of hearing about the Middle East | Is It Normal? | http://isitnormal.com
Every time I watch world news, the conflicts in the Middle East are the subject. I hate having to hear about it because I really don't give a **** about their ass-backwards society that's stuck in the middle ages. If they can't figure out how to be a civil, rational society, I can't really bring myself to care how ****ty it makes their citizens' lives. I also don't think it's our job (more advanced nations) (I'm from Canada) to try and fix any of it. We can't help them anyways because the root of the problem is in their religious extremism and inability to separate their politics from that situation.

We Give Up | National Review Online
Americans — left, right, Democrats, and Republicans — are all sick of thankless nation-building in the Middle East. Yet democratization was not our first choice, but rather a last resort after other methods failed.
I think Middle Eastern should resolve their conflicts themselves. They need to figure out a way themselves. I don't know how they would do it, but it is their businesses.

Western world should just stay out of it.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That has nothing to do with the Middle East. Why can't you folks just leave the Arab World alone? Why is it so far fetched to stop meddling in their internal affairs? They don't like you....you're not gonna make them like you.

But no, you've just GOTTA be the typical know it all Americans and pretend to know what's best for other nations when your own country is a mess.

The arrogance is astounding.
Yes, the arrogance is astounding. Especially when the President thinks he can sit down and "make friends" with these people, negotiate, be rational and reasonable. Amazing.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, the arrogance is astounding. Especially when the President thinks he can sit down and "make friends" with these people, negotiate, be rational and reasonable. Amazing.
Name the last president that DIDN'T think he could sit down with those people and make friends?

Go ahead...i'm waiting.

If you can't make friends with them, then leave them alone. Is that so hard?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Please see "mankind" and 99% of Human existence and 2/3rds of the world today. What I see happening in Gaza is a cakewalk to what our ancestors put up with on a daily basis. Life sucks. War is natural. Peace is abnormal.

Truth to be told The only reason there is coverage on middle east is the propped up Israel nation (our ally) and strategic interest to Oil.

Guess what - their oil is going away as a lever to importance. With that, Israel can go f' itself.

If we go into every place were people are being mistreated. . .we will spend money and not get a gain.

I think the policy is to promote stability, freedom, etc through economics and trade. Guns, missiles, and Air craft carriers are not ambassador's of peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I don't agree.

I DO care about the middle east.

There's roughly 130 million who populate the region, 99.9% of whom live in constant fear, oppression, repression, and coercion their entire lives. Each and every last one of them is a tragedy.

One cannot be immune to the human suffering caused by their governments, politics, and religion. If you are, you're just immune to concern for humanity as a whole.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I am over it.

Half a century of conflict...at some point it becomes a choice.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
This bears repeating!
Amen...allah aqbar...shalom...and all that jazz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies