Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I disagree that the social engineering aspect of anti-smoking campaigns has been significant in the reduction of smoking.

Smoking is still "cool" to many as we continue to see it in entertainment.

Smoking has been reduced largely through brute force - anti-smoking laws and relentlessly higher taxes.
I don't know what you're watching but the only time I ever see smoking in entertainment these days is when it is done by villains, bad guys, cretens, street urchens, thugs, drug heads, the homeless, the poor, and otherwise unlikeable characters. You'll never see a heroic character, or just a normal character, smoking a cigarette.

This is by design......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think however that it's a flawed comparison.
Not really. An anti is an anti all the same. They'll do anything to promote their agenda, even if that means lying and decieving people to get their way, because they sincerely believe they are working for the greater good. Their tactics are always similar.
Quote:
I mean, if you are a law abiding gun owner in most parts of America the gun muder rate is tiny and even accidents are fairly rare among that segment.
Except now your assuming anti's have any common sense or fact based logic. Sure the gun murder rate is tiny, but you know what's even smaller? The amount of people who die in mass shootings. Mass shootings make up less than 1/10th of 1% of all crime. Rifles of any type are used in less than 400 murders per year, and yet, the anti's harp on these things as if they were a major problem when in reality, they are a statistical anamoly. Insignificant. Anti's use emotion and anecdote to promote their agenda, not reason or facts.
Quote:
It's hard to get worked up over 4-5 deaths per 100k people as opposed to tens of thousands of cancer stricken smokers per 100k like they had back in the day.
You follow the gun debate, you know how the antis lie and manipulate the data, right? Well I hate to tell you, but the same is true in the anti-smoking debate. The difference is, the anti-smokers have very little resistence at this point. Most of their "data" and "facts" go unquestioned as of the last few decades, but let me tell you, the anti-smoking figures are just as manipulative and distorted as the anti-gun figures. The only difference is, no one questions it. Look in to it sometime. If you're interested, I'll provide you with a few links through DM. It's shocking what a con job the public at large has fallen for.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Not really. An anti is an anti all the same. They'll do anything to promote their agenda, even if that means lying and decieving people to get their way, because they sincerely believe they are working for the greater good. Their tactics are always similar.

Except now your assuming anti's have any common sense or fact based logic. Sure the gun murder rate is tiny, but you know what's even smaller? The amount of people who die in mass shootings. Mass shootings make up less than 1/10th of 1% of all crime. Rifles of any type are used in less than 400 murders per year, and yet, the anti's harp on these things as if they were a major problem when in reality, they are a statistical anamoly. Insignificant. Anti's use emotion and anecdote to promote their agenda, not reason or facts.

You follow the gun debate, you know how the antis lie and manipulate the data, right? Well I hate to tell you, but the same is true in the anti-smoking debate. The difference is, the anti-smokers have very little resistance at this point. Most of their "data" and "facts" go unquestioned as of the last few decades, but let me tell you, the anti-smoking figures are just as manipulative and distorted as the anti-gun figures. The only difference is, no one questions it. Look in to it sometime. If you're interested, I'll provide you with a few links through DM. It's shocking what a con job the public at large has fallen for.
The FBI counts self defense usage of firearms as "murders" even though that is not the case...So in reality that the numbers are even lower, and that number of 400 "murders" is even lower...

I think we need to demand the way the numbers are counted and the terms used to be changed..
Also E-Cigarettes is taking the nation by storm, and Pot is legal in 2 state with many more going to pot as well(pardon the pun)

Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Usually it is people that vote party before person.

That is why I wish they removed party affiliation from the ballot. Besides the president and maybe senator most people would be clueless as to what is going on.
If the GOP ran people with names like "Jay Z" or "J LO" and they were strong constitutional conservatives but there were no party affiliation in the ballot box, they would win in every black district in America by landslides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies