Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times

Advertisements

Well if someone smacks another person they should probably expect to be smacked back. That's human nature and there are no laws in the world or logical thought that will change that. Basic instincts and all.

But I'm thinking most woman who are assaulted didn't start it by beating on a guy first. Maybe some, but not most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well if someone smacks another person they should probably expect to be smacked back. That's human nature and there are no laws in the world or logical thought that will change that. Basic instincts and all.

But I'm thinking most woman who are assaulted didn't start it by beating on a guy first. Maybe some, but not most.

"Of 446 women who reported that they were involved in violent relationships, their partners struck the first blow in 42 percent of the cases. The women hit first in 53 percent of the cases"

Women Are Aggressors in Household Violence Too | Womens eNews

Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,456,579 times
Whoopi Goldberg was right: "If you hit a man, don't be surprised if he hits back." Men are not punching bags.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,782,708 times
Who are these men getting beaten?... I'd pay Ronda Rousey to kick me in the testicles, does that count?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

411 posts, read 414,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
No. It is not acceptable to hit a woman, ever. Most guys outweigh us by 70 pounds or more. There are other ways of dealing with women without violence.
That's true. A half nelson is more than sufficient. Anything more is overkill.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I think you can support both the "you shouldn't provoke people" and the "it is not ok to hit women" arguments at the same time.

Pretending every situations falls into black and white categories is naive.

That argument works for me. If you start something with another person, be prepared to finish it, or for the potential consequences that come with it. While I certainly don't advocate hitting a woman, because by nature men tend to be physically stronger than women, it does NOT give a woman a free pass to physically assault, or pick a fight with another man simply because she is a woman. And, I've also met women too who could probably kick my a** and a lot of other dudes as well.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting.

I raised three sons and two daughters. I know full well that women can be BRUTAL in the verbal abuse category. Men can be too, but women often have very sharp verbal skills.

I taught my kids that NO form of abuse is acceptable - emotional or physical. I also taught them not to tolerate that from anyone else. And finally, I taught them how to defend themselves - to use force as a last resort and to do all they can to DISARM the situation and/or other person but not to be intimidated into submission by either emotional or physical threats.

I raised my boys to be gentlemen and I've never seen the slightest hint of violence toward women in any of them. However, one of my boys did go out with a woman who, after a few dates, began to display hints that she could be physically violent. He actually came to me and told me that he felt a little afraid of her temper and I encouraged him to break things off with her - which he did, to his credit. But if she had physically attacked him, I would have expected him to defend himself, physically if necessary. She doesn't get a pass just because she's a woman, any more than a man would get a pass on emotional abuse just because he wasn't beating up on "his woman."

If anyone - ANYONE - resorts to physical violence, they shouldn't expect someone else to practice more restraint than they are.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
That's true. A half nelson is more than sufficient. Anything more is overkill.
^^^ This. I have never actually hit, or felt the need to hit, a woman. I've had women come after me twice. Trying to hit he. Neither time did I stand in front of the punches. That , alone , was totally sufficient to completely defuse one case. I just let her swing herself out ., and got out of the way. The other was a different matter entirely, and I won't go into it.

Still, I can't conceive of having to strike or violently attack a woman. Unless she's an enemy combatant. THAT is a game changer. But that's a separate issue. As a pretty hard rule, I say restraining is as far as it should ever go. The only other game changer that pops up for me is weapons. Especially knives and other edged stuff. I WOULD strike to avoid getting ope end like a fish.

I'm not to keen (pun intended) on the idea of a woman with a sharp knife wanting to slice me up. In that case, or with any other weapons being involved, I'm escaping if I can. Not worth it trying to disarm her. Odds are, that will end badly for you both. Especially if alcohol is involved somehow. THAT is a scary situation. My best advice is trust your fight or flight instincts. They are usually dead on in telling you what to do. Way I see it, if there's the possibility things could go physical, I'm going to get outong before it hits the red line. If the red line is already pegged, I'm certainly looking to hit the burners and get out Dodge.

That said, if a man just HAS to hit a woman in order to survive, you best have some convincing defensive wounds. Otherwise, the cops will take her word over yours as to what happened. Physical confrontation between men and women is an eggshells area. There are strict rules. One of those is that a man better have taken and will take if the attack continues, a heap of pain, before you actually strike a woman.

Yea, I'll get flamed by some for that. I know I know " ain't NO way I'm gonna let ANYONE hurt me"! Sorry, but in this case you best be willing to take some pain before you go tossing blows. Just the way it is.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I think we kind of agree...

I'm not saying he should hit her for craps and giggles or because words upset him. But if she puts her hands on him, well obviously he's going to defend himself or fight back

People still shouldn't hit one another, regardless of what's being said or what is taking place

Exactly!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I've had women do the same to me and the only way to stop them was to pin them down, but in my case, that pissed them off even more. They are upset and pissed off and they want a conformation. They are hell bent on it.. Soon as I let go, they have come up spitting on me, throwing kicks and punches, and throwing objects... I've had black eyes, a bloody noise, and have been struck in the head with objects that have been thrown at me so hard to the point that I was bleeding...

Have I ever hit any of these women back, no. But when I see one of these loud mouth violent women get what was coming to them in YouTube videos, I don't blame the men one bit... I applaud them.

You mean like the one that happened on the Cleveland RTA bus? Where the woman was not only verbally assaulting the driver, but hitting him, and spitting on him while he was driving the bus? Where he then proceeded to throw an upper cut at her? Check that one out. I have no sympathy for her. Why? Because her actions could have caused the bus driver to crash, thus putting the passengers lives in danger. All because SHE felt that she didn't have to pay the bus fare, and he called her on it! BTW, that guy who worked for the RTA for years with a clean record was fired for that incident!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies