Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
This is the example I always use in this context as well. Assaulting someone who is physically superior to you is simply unwise (well, assaulting anyone is unwise, but assaulting someone bigger than you is especially so). You don't know what their response will be. If they are capable of hurting you, it's probably not very smart of you to assault them. I certainly wouldn't punch a bear. If I did, I'd be an idiot.
Yes this is true. But remember though size doesn't always matter. I'm 6'1" 170 pounds. In short I'm skinny, and was even skinnier back in the day. Best believe most everyone I fought and won BTW had a weight advantage over me. Skill, and knowing where to hit them, avoiding being hit is where it's at. And of course it's amazing what you can accomplish when that adrenaline gets flowing. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't make it a point to get in the face of some 250 pound dude to try and test their manhood. But then again, I don't make it a point to get in the face of a dude who is shorter and has a smaller frame than me either. I'm all about don't start no s****, won't be no s****!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well if someone smacks another person they should probably expect to be smacked back. That's human nature and there are no laws in the world or logical thought that will change that. Basic instincts and all.

But I'm thinking most woman who are assaulted didn't start it by beating on a guy first. Maybe some, but not most.

Hmmm... having worked as a DJ for many years in the bar scene in northeast Ohio, I beg to differ. I've seen it go both ways.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM

792 posts, read 634,463 times
No man should ever hit a woman. But we'd be naïve to think that women never abuse guys, psychologically or physically.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is there anything egregious a woman can do, that would make hitting her understandable?

Can we look at what happened before the attack? or is that irrelevant?

Please share with me.
I really don't understand the point of these kinds of questions.

In a court of law, the actions of the individuals involved are looked at.

I think in terms of the general populations' discussion of abusive behavior, it is not really helpful.

Abusive behavior is very difficult for people to report because of the personal nature of the relationship usually between the abuser and the abused.

My wife used to be a teacher and she had a student who was being abused by a parent.

There was a lot to the situation, but basically my wife said that the kid blamed himself because the abusive parent said that it was the kid's behavior that caused the abuse, that if the kid acted right, if the kid did what he was told, then the parent would not have to hurt him.

The kid believed that message. So for me as a society we have to draw a line and say abusers are 100% responsible for their abusive behavior.

Doing anything else muddies the water because abusers are already saying hey it's not just my fault that I hurt you. You made me do it. And a huge percentage of victims of abuse believe that and feel guilty and ashamed thus allowing the abuse to continue and abusers to get away with it.

As a society we have to send the message to abuse victims that no it's 100% the abusers fault to encourage them to come forward and not blame themselves.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I really don't understand the point of these kinds of questions.

In a court of law, the actions of the individuals involved are looked at.

I think in terms of just the general populations discussion of abusive behavior, it is not really helpful.

Ok abusive behavior is very difficulty or people to report because of the personal nature of the relationship usually between the abuser and the abused.

My wife used to be a teacher and she has student who was being abused by a parent.

There was a lot, but basically my wife said that the kid blamed himself because the abusive parent said that it was the kid's behavior that caused the abuse, that if the kid acted right, if the kid did what he was told, then the parent would have to hurt him.

The kid believed that message. So for me as a society we have to draw a line and say abusers are 100% responsible for their abusive behavior.

Doing anything else muddies the water because abusers are already saying hey it's not just my fault that I hurt you. You made me do it. And a huge percentage of victims of abuse believe that and feel guilty and ashamed thus allowing the abuse to continue and abusers to get away with it.

As a society we have to send the message to abuse victims that no it's 100% the abusers fault to encourage harm to come forward and not blame themselves.
I totally agree with you. One of my best friends in high school had severely abusive parents, and it wrecked him emotionally. People who abuse vulnerable people are the scum of society.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
My woman?.....Never! A stranger in the street who feels the need to put her hands on me?...I'd slap her into next week!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Still, I can't conceive of having to strike or violently attack a woman.
I applaud you and the other men who're so confident that a woman you don't know can't do some real damage. Hitting a woman is at the bottom of my choices, but the old rule, Never hit a woman, no longer holds.

btw, the average weight of women these days is 165 pounds; of men, 190.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
No man should ever hit a woman. But we'd be naïve to think that women never abuse guys, psychologically or physically.
The rule, 'No man should ever hit a woman,' stereotypes women and is misandristic. It stereotypes women as meek, submissive, defenseless, always non-aggressive, free to abuse men. It suggests that men should be punching bags, or flee because of the abuse, rather than defend themselves.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The rule, 'No man should ever hit a woman,' stereotypes women and is misandristic. It stereotypes women as meek, submissive, defenseless, always non-aggressive, free to abuse men. It suggests that men should be punching bags, or flee because of the abuse, rather than defend themselves.
Well, no woman should hit a man either. No one should hit each other.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Exactly. It's that mentality that enables females to get away with what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies