Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
what a paranoid thread. does ebola turn Nigerians into Mexicans and south americans? what an unusual disease.
Nope. But it does turn live people into dead ones.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You responded to my post about all the diseases that could be transmitted by illegal immigrants and that's what I was responding too. Not just Ebola - get with the program and quit taking things out of context.

And personally - we were never trained to do research projects - I am not a researcher but was trained in another medical profession. Doesn't mean that I haven't been involved in research projects - several posted on the web - but just because you're a trained medical professional does not mean you do research projects.
But being so very smart, so very, very smart...you shouldn't have a problem.

And no, I wasn't responding to you necessarily.

I'm just trying to cool a bit of the hysteria. All these scenarios are fantasies right out of a bad S/F channel movie. Ebola is nothing new and there's nothing to indicate that it has become any more deadly...rather the contrary. As for this idea that 'illegals' are bringing in all sorts of diseases, that's the same thing they said about every other group that has come here -- including, quite probably, *your* ancestors.

Freaking out isn't an adequate response to anything.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope. But it does turn live people into dead ones.
yes, in Africa. also, Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa (168.8 million), only a little over 1000 people have contracted the disease and less than 50% of those have died. that sounds awful, but not pandemic.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Ebola can never gain a foothold on the US.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
yes, in Africa. also, Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa (168.8 million), only a little over 1000 people have contracted the disease and less than 50% of those have died. that sounds awful, but not pandemic.

every pandemic starts somewhere, if it mutates to an air born virus it will spread quicker..

Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
We have Navy Seals protecting our coasts and Border Patrol our dirt borders.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
every pandemic starts somewhere, if it mutates to an air born virus it will spread quicker..
"Mutates".

That's a riot.

Try, "is mutated".

http://www.amazon.com/Lab-257-Distur.../dp/006078184X

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 07-28-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
The only person with a confirmed case in Nigeria is a guy how just got a plane.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This is a silly argument.
It may or it may not. It's only a matter of chance and bad timing and circumstances. As long as they allow people to freely travel back and forth from there, there is a significant risk. Yes, it's not airborne yet and yes, they may be more effective at containing it in the US than Africa. However, as I said, it's all a matter of chance - if the first case travels here, how it travels, how many other people are exposed, how quickly it's recognized and containment efforts implemented, etc etc. They may nip it in the bud, or it might spread to millions - depending on lots of factors. I'm sure the doctors who contracted it knew and followed all the precautionary protocols yet they still got it - that doesn't sound like it's THAT difficult to contract.

And not airborne does not equal not easily contagious. Consider norovirus (aka stomach flu) - it's transmissible by oral-fecal route only. You would think, how easy is it not to catch it - just wash your hands before your eat and don't inhale vomit or fecal particles. And yet, outbreaks are so common and rampant everywhere! I managed to catch it this winter even though I'm absolutely paranoid of anything stomach-related (guess why I'm so passionate about this topic, hah). and never eat without washing hands first, wasn't around anyone sick. I couldn't trace it back to anything I've done, except drink from a water glass at a take-out sushi place, I guess that must've been it. So think about it, if we can't prevent the spread of such a simple virus with reasonable precautions, why do people think it'll be simple to stop this??

Why are we waiting till that point hits anyway?? Why not do something to PREVENT it right now and stop travel to affected areas before anything happens? An ounce of prevention and all that, why aren't people grasping that??
Just makes me want to bash my head against the wall...

Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Why are we waiting till that point hits anyway?? Why not do something to PREVENT it right now and stop travel to affected areas before anything happens? An ounce of prevention and all that, why aren't people grasping that??
Just makes me want to bash my head against the wall...
But that's not 'an ounce of prevention'...that's a hundred megatons of prevention. It's using a thermo-nuclear device to smash an ant.

6,000,000 people in Sierra Leone...225 dead. Let's all panic!

We lose more people to tornadoes-- a random event about which you can do nothing except hunker down when the warning goes -- but are you telling the world not to travel to Iowa, Nebraska, or Oklahoma? Why don't y'all save your apocalyptic freak-outs for when Ebola actually travels to somewhere in this hemisphere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies