Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Actually, even though I live in a prime area, they HAVE ruined the state. People who can are leaving. Of course more useful idiots continue to flood in.
And I have yet to get an answer to "how specifically" did they ruin it and WHEN?

After all, during the peak of the hippie counter culture California had a conservative Republican Governor 1967-1975 as well as Republican Governors from 1983-1999 and 2003-2011.

So just HOW did hippies manage to ruin a state under allegedly capable, morally-superior Republican leadership for 29 0f 44 years?

As far as I'm concerned the Vietnam War did more to make this country unrecognizable from the one of my youth than any other event, hippies were merely an outgrowth of the "Let's Be The World's Police" culture that spawned Vietnam.

Last edited by burdell; 07-28-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
It's hard to. Values and standards have dropped so much. Gods standards are ignored and ridiculed- we've turned a corner from which we'll never go back.
And thank God for that!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

792 posts, read 634,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Backwards viewpoints? Merely your opinion. Some things may not be good about the past but that doesn't mean that everything that has been an identifying concept of this nation is bad either. No one that I know of advocates for slavery or witch burning either.

Our nation has always been based on Christian values but remain in denial if you wish.
Christian values? What does that mean? I think you mean, values that most of humanity shares. Hard work, charity? I'm an atheist and I value those things as well, and many of my atheist friends do too.

Not to mention, our Founding Fathers were mostly deist. Not Christian.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Christian values? What does that mean? I think you mean, values that most of humanity shares. Hard work, charity? I'm an atheist and I value those things as well, and many of my atheist friends do too.

Not to mention, our Founding Fathers were mostly deist. Not Christian.
Even an atheist I think would have to agree that the Ten Commandments makes a lot of sense to live by.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

792 posts, read 634,873 times
Quote:
Even an atheist I think would have to agree that the Ten Commandments makes a lot of sense to live by.
Duh. I don't murder or engage in adultery. You can't just claim common morality as "Christian values". It's like me saying skepticism is an atheist value (which it kind of is). There are plenty of Christians who are skeptics of things. Christians don't hold a monopoly on values and morality.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Looking at our history over the past 50 years it seems few Americans take Thou Shalt Not Kill very seriously.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And I have yet to get an answer to "how specifically" did they ruin it and WHEN?

After all, during the peak of the hippie counter culture California had a conservative Republican Governor 1967-1975 as well as Republican Governors from 1983-1999 and 2003-2011.

So just HOW did hippies manage to ruin a state under allegedly capable, morally-superior Republican leadership for 29 0f 44 years?
Well one glaring example would be Tom Hayden. Some of the hippies in the 60s went on to join the legislature and pushed the very liberal agenda now in place. Gov. Brown was never a hippie but he espoused their ideology. He was crazy the first time around and now we are putting up with him again. Hippies also drifted into the enviormentalist movement in California. A few years back I had people hooting for the spotted owl while admitting they will live in practically any dead tree. They have; along with some Republicans; drove this state into the ground financially all the while claiming they have found extra money so everything will be fine. Yeah right. In conclusion, this state has gorgeous scenery, fantastic weather, great food and it still sucks.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Well one glaring example would be Tom Hayden. Some of the hippies in the 60s went on to join the legislature and pushed the very liberal agenda now in place. Gov. Brown was never a hippie but he espoused their ideology. He was crazy the first time around and now we are putting up with him again. Hippies also drifted into the enviormentalist movement in California. A few years back I had people hooting for the spotted owl while admitting they will live in practically any dead tree. They have; along with some Republicans; drove this state into the ground financially all the while claiming they have found extra money so everything will be fine. Yeah right. In conclusion, this state has gorgeous scenery, fantastic weather, great food and it still sucks.
And just WHAT did all those very un-hip Republican governors do to improve the situation over the years? Or do they just get a pass?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A lot has changed. One of the exit polls in 2004 had "moral issues" at the top of the list. Today, the culture war has been virtually lost. Even most Republicans are resigned to the fact that abortion is here to stay and that we are probably living in a more secular state than most in the party are comfortable with. You hardly ever hear Pat Robertson or his ilk making comments today.

Gay marriage was not considered mainline back then - it was primarily supported in just the gay community, the far left, and colleges. Most Democrats wouldn't have come out in support of it. Today, gay marriage is now valid in many states - some of which are not far left.

Who would have thought //www.city-data.com/forum/newre...69recreational pot would have been allowed anywhere a decade ago? Over the next ten years, I think recreational pot is going to pick up traction like gay marriage did over the most recent ten years.

My conservatism is not based on religious fundamentalism/conservatism, but I know a lot of pretty socially conservative people who are extremely bitter and feel besieged.
It's called progress. Looking back on history, as people became more educated and intelligent regarding the world, there was this thing--progress.

There would not be any culture wars if extremists didn't try to tell everyone else how to live. How does gay marriage and legalized pot hurt you other than the fact that not being able to control people's behavior upsets you? Gay marriage means people born gay do not have to live in the closet despite the fact you would rather they be there. Cultures change--it's a fact of life. If you want to live in a cave and ignore the culture you hate--nobody is going to stop you. Go be conservative--nobody cares. Just don't tell the rest of us how to behave.

Frankly, I believe the people pushing excessive moral issues began being ignored when they started getting busted for picking up other guys in bathrooms and getting caught with either younger women who were not their wives or with their hands in the cookie jar. In other words, people got wise to the hypocrisy.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just WHAT did all those very un-hip Republican governors do to improve the situation over the years? Or do they just get a pass?
No they screwed it up in their own ways too. The problem now is there is no fiscal brake at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies