Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,774,380 times

Advertisements

I still don't understand why public housing are not apartments ONLY... Such a waste of time, space, and money to build public housing full of houses... the comment is always, the poor should have the ability to live in a house... a shelter is a shelter, wasting resources reduces the ability to provide resources for others... the wait list for government housing is high... so the bright Democrats decide to have low volume (single family homes) versus high volume (apartments)... idiots...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 AM

7,955 posts, read 12,642,117 times
I wonder how these lucky poor people are selected? It being Chicago I doubt it is a random event that anyone has a shot at living in the place. I am sure some city officials have poor relatives that will end up living in the apartments.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,357,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Your "view" is nothing more than your opinion. As a landlord I'm sure you wouldn't mind getting a few vouchers at $3,000 a pop.

Do you think every state operates the same? Landlords in NY do not have to accept vouchers, it is at their discretion to do so.

99% of the time people interested in an apartment are required to fill out a form which includes source of income, a couple of pay stubs and landlords run credit checks. To some landlords it's a blessing to get a voucher, to others it isn't. A landlord can turn down someone based on poor credit and low income and usually will tell the applicant that the apartment was rented. It's when someone has a good credit rating, a healthy income and gets turned down because of race/religion/ethnicity, that a case can be brought.
This is true. When I was an agent in NYC, a single mother with a voucher answered an ad. I liked her and tried really hard to help her. My manager said I was nuts to do so. I spent weeks trying to find her a place traveling all over upper Manhattan & the Bronx. Considering my area of expertise was prime Manhattan I struggled mightily. Finally I referred her to a Bx broker that knew landlords that took vouchers. He found her place no commission for me but hey what are you going to do?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,912,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
This is, but this is also Chicago, the city that spawned Barack Obama.

Nothing about Chicago surprises me. In fact, I would be surprised if this kind of thing DIDN'T happen in Chicago.
its not just Chicago. years ago the government was buying up homes in Pittsburgh and then doing things like tearing out hot tubs and jacuzzi's to place sec8 housing in them.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,912,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Your "view" is nothing more than your opinion. As a landlord I'm sure you wouldn't mind getting a few vouchers at $3,000 a pop.

Do you think every state operates the same? Landlords in NY do not have to accept vouchers, it is at their discretion to do so.

99% of the time people interested in an apartment are required to fill out a form which includes source of income, a couple of pay stubs and landlords run credit checks. To some landlords it's a blessing to get a voucher, to others it isn't. A landlord can turn down someone based on poor credit and low income and usually will tell the applicant that the apartment was rented. It's when someone has a good credit rating, a healthy income and gets turned down because of race/religion/ethnicity, that a case can be brought.
I of course dont mind getting vouchers, especially at $3K a pop..

But thanks for telling me what I already know..

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM

20,247 posts, read 19,811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
George Jefferson earned his "moving on up" to the east side. If I recall, Jefferson owned several dry cleaning businesses and was a successful business man. The Jefferson's TV show is not an analogy to this situation at all.
Today George Jefferson would be accused of "acting white".

Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Chicago poor people have to ask themselves does having a job really worth it? People might think getting 180 a month on a food card, a Obamaphone, and free health care Medicaid, they are better off not working. All they need is some ones basement to live in or a couch to sleep on. People that are on the dole should not be living in high end apartments and homes, if the ghetto is all they can afford that is where they belong.

??? If you're low-income, able-bodied, childless, and not elderly, it's quite unlikely you're going to get subsidized housing in Chicago anytime soon. So yeah, getting a job usually really is worth it.

Not to mention that Obamaphones are limited to one per address, so if you crash in someone else's basement you have to check to find out if anyone else in the house already has an Obamaphone.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I still don't understand why public housing are not apartments ONLY... Such a waste of time, space, and money to build public housing full of houses... the comment is always, the poor should have the ability to live in a house... a shelter is a shelter, wasting resources reduces the ability to provide resources for others... the wait list for government housing is high... so the bright Democrats decide to have low volume (single family homes) versus high volume (apartments)... idiots...

For childless adults, why not allow (Sec 8) rooms instead of apartments? Think of how any more people could be adequately housed?

Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,714,147 times
Gee don't you guys ever get tired of your antipoor propaganda? Your worse then the race hate groups. Whats next for a thread? "Poor man jaywalked, police citted the poor jaywalker, OMG! we are using taxpayer money to pay for the cop and the sidewalk for the poor jaywalker.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM

19,747 posts, read 11,990,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Gee don't you guys ever get tired of your antipoor propaganda? Your worse then the race hate groups. Whats next for a thread? "Poor man jaywalked, police citted the poor jaywalker, OMG! we are using taxpayer money to pay for the cop and the sidewalk for the poor jaywalker.
Anti-poor propaganda? Did someone hit a nerve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies