Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 04:41 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,730,747 times

Advertisements

There's another thread here talking about what money should be cut from the budget. I read through the answers and plenty of them are just pipe dreams filled with complaints about various government agencies that get complaints from fringe blogs, etc.

I figured I'd make a better thread. Please put forward your spending cut ideas, think and research before you do. Then post about what would be the negative implication of the cut, how much would it actually save and is it only a pipe dream to get done.

The net implications are what would happen when the cut is made. Getting rid of the military means Russia and China invade for example. The reduction in the budget would be $660B though in actuality it would be less since that spending stimulates the economy and you get some of it back in taxation. The cut is unlikely to happen since military cuts are always very political.

Most of the cuts that people here want are pipe dreams. Social security, medicare, defense, and interest on the debt make up 72% of the budget. Of the rest, only 17% is discretionary.

I look forward to everyone's lucid, informed suggestions of things that would actually happen.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM

792 posts, read 630,600 times
Military and defense spending first and foremost. I would cut the procurement budget by up to 40% - that's the part of the budget dealing with buying new weapons. I would however raise R&D spending, because that benefits all of society too.

Although, I might add, government deficits are not necessarily bad.

The negative implications would be, making do with current weapon tech for a while longer. Not the end of the world, but maintenance costs might increase.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 AM

723 posts, read 864,198 times
How about no more tax exemptions for ****ing religions?
Also... chop the military in half. There's no need for bases in 150+ countries.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,938,031 times
The whole purpose of the federal gov't. is to PROTECT this country. NO cuts to military at all...ever. Cut all the other domestic programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.