Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 AM

662 posts, read 1,049,241 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to figure this one out.

Okay, so I know a couple that got pregnant at a young age (19) and both are in college. It's only a month into the pregnancy, but they're looking for advice on what to do. I'm quasi-conservative so I am somewhat biased to keeping the baby.

But...baby's are expensive and I can see a lot of trouble in the couple's future. It's like the same tape playing over and over. Because kids are expensive, they're going to be stuck at a lower-class job with a measly paycheck and more than likely they are going to split up anyways.

The couple's thinking about getting an abortion. Logically, this would be the best solution as both can finish college and avoid a completely down-trodden path.

I was heavily thinking about it and something went off in my head.

If they were to get an abortion.....would this be a rejection of responsibility? To kill a child because one decided to willingly have sex? For example, I have chosen to stay a virgin until I'm stable so I don't have that problem right now. But they had sex and feel the child should be killed because they messed up.

For me, abortion is okay in certain circumstances, but I'm just not feeling right about telling this couple it's the best decision, even though logically it is.

So do you guys think that abortion is a selfish act? A rejection of personal responsibility.

I'm legitimately trying to understand this moral concept. Thanks!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-30-2014 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: That is a given

Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Abortion isn't the rejection of responsibility...not using effective birth control is.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I can't seem to figure this one out.

Okay, so I know a couple that got pregnant at a young age (19) and both are in college. It's only a month into the pregnancy, but they're looking for advice on what to do. I'm quasi-conservative so I am somewhat biased to keeping the baby.

But...baby's are expensive and I can see a lot of trouble in the couple's future. It's like the same tape playing over and over. Because kids are expensive, they're going to be stuck at a lower-class job with a measly paycheck and more than likely they are going to split up anyways.

The couple's thinking about getting an abortion. Logically, this would be the best solution as both can finish college and avoid a completely down-trodden path.

If they were to get an abortion.....would this be a rejection of responsibility? To kill a child because one decided to willingly have sex? For example, I have chosen to stay a virgin until I'm stable so I don't have that problem right now. But they had sex and feel the child should be killed because they messed up.

For me, abortion is okay in certain circumstances, but I'm just not feeling right about telling this couple it's the best decision, even though logically it is.

So do you guys think that abortion is a selfish act? A rejection of personal responsibility.

Please no flaming, as I'm legitly trying to understand this moral concept. Thanks!
I believe it is a selfless act. It is the hard choice. A rejection of personal responsibility are those who go ahead a bring a child into the world and shift the responsibility of raising that child onto someone else be it family members or taxpayers because they were in no position to care for a child.

I don't understand the reasoning that "abortion is ok in certain circumstances". If you believe abortion is "killing a child" then it is wrong under any circumstance. Too often people fancy themselves superior when they choose to be judge and jury over the decisions of other peoples personal lives and the circumstances that would lead them to such a monumental decision as abortion.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Abortion isn't the rejection of responsibility...not using effective birth control is.
But that's what I'm saying. They decide not to use it, then use abortion as an ''ooops, I did it again!". My problem is they never used protection and I guess...the irresponsibility of that is what ticks me off.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
If they were to get an abortion.....would this be a rejection of responsibility?
No.

hth

Quote:
To kill a child...
...is an entirely different matter than an abortion.
Don't get caught up in the bad science the anti crowd puts out.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
But that's what I'm saying. They decide not to use it, then use abortion as an ''ooops, I did it again!". My problem is they never used protection and I guess...the irresponsibility of that is what ticks me off.
I can understand that. I have two nephews that did the same except they now both have a child and the responsibility of that at a young age. Believe me they heard it from me about not using BC. I think your feeling that abortion in this situation is selfish is actually wanting to punish them for their stupidity.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I believe it is a selfless act. It is the hard choice. A rejection of personal responsibility are those who go ahead a bring a child into the world and shift the responsibility of raising that child onto someone else be it family members or taxpayers because they were in no position to care for a child.

I don't understand the reasoning that "abortion is ok in certain circumstances". If you believe abortion is "killing a child" then it is wrong under any circumstance. Too often people fancy themselves superior when they choose to be judge and jury over the decisions of other peoples personal lives and the circumstances that would lead them to such a monumental decision as abortion.
But I'm talking about using it...sparingly. I say certain circumstances because life is not black and white. Just like how one can shoot to defend themselves but not shoot just anyone in a crowded mall.

I guess the conflict lies in the parent's right to live the way they see fit or just the child's right to live. If the parent knowingly has sex without protection, do they forfeit their rights?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I can understand that. I have two nephews that did the same except they now both have a child and the responsibility of that at a young age. Believe me they heard it from me about not using BC. I think your feeling that abortion in this situation is selfish is actually wanting to punish them for their stupidity.
I dunno. It seems equivalent to Moderator cut: language an elephant off by torturing it, it fights back and then you kill it in fear for your life. Just seems like....the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I guess I just have a strong sense of personal responsibility in terms of my actions and there's a cause and effect for everything.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-30-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
I dunno. It seems equivalent to pissing an elephant off by torturing it, it fights back and then you kill it in fear for your life. Just seems like....the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I guess I just have a strong sense of personal responsibility in terms of my actions and there's a cause and effect for everything.
Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines That is not a child by the way & if they choose to have an abortion, that is of course their choice. Regardless if they did not use birth control or if the birth control failed, it is what it is. What is irresponsible in my eyes is having a kid when you either don't want one or can't support one.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
But I'm talking about using it...sparingly. I say certain circumstances because life is not black and white. Just like how one can shoot to defend themselves but not shoot just anyone in a crowded mall.

I guess the conflict lies in the parent's right to live the way they see fit or just the child's right to live. If the parent knowingly has sex without protection, do they forfeit their rights?
No, why should they forfeit their rights to their own medical decisions. Again you are playing judge and jury. What does it matter if they willingly had sex without protection, if BC failed, if some event in their lives gave them cause to change their mind about the pregnancy or if it were rape or incest?

If you want to use self defense as an analogy one could say that choosing abortion in this situation is self preservation or self defense in that they are protecting their future. If they had the child, life could go any of a number of ways for them and the child, good, bad or worse so it would be more like shooting randomly in a crowded mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies