Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"As Right Wing Watch has reported"

"The teacher, Tammy Williams, explained what really happened"

"The school's principal, Ami Paradise, likewise released a statement declaring that the claims of anti-Christian bigotry made by Advocates of Faith and Freedom were entirely bogus"
You still think that story is true, don't you? Probably want it to be true. And that's the problem with this kind of story, as well as the one that the OP mentioned.

You clearly don't understand the difference between reporting a story as it develops (meaning that first it's determined whether or not there is a story and second what may or may not have happened) and reporting a story as fact. Why does that not surprise me?

And here's a link from earlier in the thread where you can read the teacher's and principal's statements in toto: Fury growing over Temecula first grader’s Christmas presentation :: The Valley News Those statements, by the way, were made at the conclusion of the investigation by officials. Media driven allegations slow as Temecula Valley Unified School District Principal and Teacher’s statement shed light on Christmas Traditions in the Classroom, and First Grade Sharing Time during TVUSD Board Meeting | Temecula Grapevine

Last edited by helenejen; 07-30-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You know you can actually fact check for yourself:

Here's the lie sold as fact by Fox:

First-grader told to stop talking about Bible | Fox News

Good to check these things out. First, Todd Starnes is NOT reporter. He is a Fox News Contributor. He does commentary. The "Raw Story" quoting some outfit called "Right Wing Watch tries to depict Starnes repeatedly as a "Reporter". This is not the case..

Second, the item from this radical left commentary site indicates the Teacher nor the Principle were quoted but they were "compelled to release their own statement". In fact, according to commentator Starnes piece the District was approached and responded thusly: " Due to the fact that District officials are currently investigating the allegations, it would be inappropriate to provide further comment at this time.”

My complaint about this item is not the "he said, she said" aspect. I have not taken a side. I suspect a school district is not going to say "yes, we stopped the little girl from her presentation because we don't like Christian content in the schools". My complaint is with "The Raw Story" which wants to present this item as if it came from the Fox News Department as a factual report. It did not. It came from Fox News Contributor Todd Starnes who is a commentator. He is called upon to give OPINION. Fox News also has liberal commentators (Juan Williams, Kirsten Powers to name just two-there are many more).

I could spend all day quoting liberal commentators and calling them "liars" (name calling is always effective in an argument) but why bother.

Recent Pew Research shows FOX NEWS is the most trusted News Source in the country. That pole did not confine it's research to conservatives. That's a cross sample of the American population. You may not like it, but that is a fact. I have to assume they are doing something right.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Kind of like how mindless partisans parrot things on here that aren't true?
LMAO do you own a mirror? Thanks for the morning laugh I gave you a rep

Old 07-31-2014, 07:21 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Good to check these things out. First, Todd Starnes is NOT reporter. He is a Fox News Contributor. He does commentary. The "Raw Story" quoting some outfit called "Right Wing Watch tries to depict Starnes repeatedly as a "Reporter". This is not the case..
A distinction worthy of a lawyer. So why aren't Fox News Contributors called Fox News Commentators? Being a contributor does not preclude reporting. And regardless of the title, this should not except a person from reporting the facts of a case accurately.

Quote:
Second, the item from this radical left commentary site indicates the Teacher nor the Principle were quoted but they were "compelled to release their own statement". In fact, according to commentator Starnes piece the District was approached and responded thusly: " Due to the fact that District officials are currently investigating the allegations, it would be inappropriate to provide further comment at this time.”
If you look at the something Valley news site that I linked to, the teacher's and principal's comments were made at the School Board meeting where the investigation was closed.

Quote:
My complaint about this item is not the "he said, she said" aspect. I have not taken a side. I suspect a school district is not going to say "yes, we stopped the little girl from her presentation because we don't like Christian content in the schools". My complaint is with "The Raw Story" which wants to present this item as if it came from the Fox News Department as a factual report. It did not. It came from Fox News Contributor Todd Starnes who is a commentator. He is called upon to give OPINION. Fox News also has liberal commentators (Juan Williams, Kirsten Powers to name just two-there are many more).
So you are ok with "commentators" just making stuff up as they go and a news organization that gives them ability to spew such fiction is exempt from responsibility? How low can the bar be set exactly? I mean really. This should be a non-partisan issue.

Quote:
I could spend all day quoting liberal commentators and calling them "liars" (name calling is always effective in an argument) but why bother.
That stuff should also be posted in the hopes that people take their source of information with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Recent Pew Research shows FOX NEWS is the most trusted News Source in the country. That pole did not confine it's research to conservatives. That's a cross sample of the American population. You may not like it, but that is a fact. I have to assume they are doing something right.
Oh brother. You get that that data reveals and measures feelings, right?

Also from that study:

"The survey also found that there is no media source that has a political role on the center or left that is comparable to Fox's on the right. As [the first chart] illustrates, while more than half of Republicans list Fox as a trusted news source, no other source comes close. ... By contrast, there is no dominant trusted news source among Democrats or liberals."

Read more: CHART: Fox Is The Most Trusted TV News Source In America - Business Insider

Republicans and conservatives should follow suit and be more skeptical.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An old maxim from the world of flim-flam states that "you can't cheat an honest man."

Well, she is pretty stupid. So i'm not surprised by the news that they believed whatever she said. I mean god, this is the lady that said vaccinations make you retarded

I think both parties would do well to ignore her for the moron she is

Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Hardly the first time something like this has happened unfortunately:

"A Fox News correspondent has been busted again for pushing a one-sided story claiming religious persecution of Christians . . . Todd Starnes helped promote a story about a California first-grader who allegedly was not allowed to give a one-minute presentation about her family’s Christmas tradition because it included religious references. Other targets of Starnes’ poorly sourced reporting have reported similar harassment."

Fox News contributor busted again for pushing fake story about persecution of Christians
Deflect deflect.

why not just recognize the topic of THIS thread?

Scared to see the lunacy of the far left wing media exposed ? Scared to think of how many times you may be lied to yet you may have based your ideology on said lies?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
"The survey also found that there is no media source that has a political role on the center or left that is comparable to Fox's on the right. As [the first chart] illustrates, while more than half of Republicans list Fox as a trusted news source, no other source comes close. ... By contrast, there is no dominant trusted news source among Democrats or liberals."

Could it be that Fox stands alone as the only conservative news site where as liberals have several networks of choice? And of course using just common logic when several networks are sharing the same liberal pie of course none of them would be as dominant as Fox

Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Quote:
So you are ok with "commentators" just making stuff up as they go and a news organization that gives them ability to spew such fiction is exempt from responsibility? How low can the bar be set exactly? I mean really. This should be a non-partisan issue.
And what was "made up" in this story? Is it not true that an action was filed by the attorney representing the family? Did the school district not say they had no comment? I'm trying to see the point that Starnes "made up" and created a "fiction". Each statement he made was based on information he received from the parties involved. Unless of course he simply created the entire episode which then would lead me to agree with your position that it was a "fiction". According to Starnes item the family did, in fact, believe they were being persecuted by the school because of their Christian faith. You may or may not agree with that position but I would not call the representation by Starnes as "fiction" or "made up".

As far as Fox News not labeling people "commentators" rather than "contributors" I would assume any observer when seeing two people making opposing arguments that observer would conclude it is two opposing "opinions" and would not think it's two reporters stating facts (other than the opinions are based on facts as they see them).

However, I will confess my exposure to Fox is as a viewer and not a reader. So I usually see these contributors as part of a panel where more than one side is presented.

I also would suggest there is no trusted news source for liberals because every attempt to create such an outlet has failed including MSNBC which uses one of the contributors to the "Raw Story". They simply do not attract sufficient viewers, listeners or readers to be profitable. An exception to that is the New York Times, Washington Post, L.A. Times and many other metro newspapers although their profitability is declining rapidly (as are all print outlets).

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Interesting that Raw Story was the one that pointed out that Think Progress fell for the hoax. And they did it in such a professional manner with the headline "Crazy racist Bachmann story so believable liberal websites fall for parody"

Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
If you asking the media to do some investigating and find the truth you asking alot.
Besides I know the perfect place to send those kids HOME.
Turn them back over to the mexican and or other governments and say here are your children.
You find their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies