Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I'm still waiting on the numbers of disenfranchised voters you keep talking about. Show me the actual numbers and make your case.

??? How many non-felon Americans are there without qualifying ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 05:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
WOW, a state that puts itself and it's lawful citizens before the rights of illegal aliens...

Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Let's see...
When I go to vote, I must show my driver license, then I must sign in beside my name on the voter list.
So, not only do I have to verify my identity, I must be able to read and write my name!
I wonder why Montana has never been sued about this...
IMO, it is reasonable and proper!
Way to go, Wisconsin!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? How many non-felon Americans are there without qualifying ID?
I don't know, it's your conclussion that this is taking place.. You tell me... Show me the figures.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Well.....

Props to you, however, for being productive past 71!
I must admit, you got me there. I certainly do stand corrected.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
This one's a classic

NAACP requires marchers protesting North Carolina voter ID law TO ... photo ID to participate in an NAACP-hosted protest against voter-ID

naacp-requires-marchers-protesting-north-carolina-voter-id-law-to-show-photo-id/

Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Actually, this was appealed in April by a federal judge so it is still going through the federal appeals court in Chicago. So regardless of the state supreme court ruling, this is still on hold so for the primaries this month & maybe for the regular election in November one will still not have to show an id. As for voter fraud, it has been proven ad nauseum that the "out of control" numbers that certain people like to tout as proof of voter fraud is just that....fraudulent. Please don't let facts get in the way though. Also, does anyone know what the 24th amendment of the CONSTITUTION says? Right, it's unconstitutional to institute a poll tax to vote. Requiring a voter id that one has to pay for is a poll tax. Requiring someone to pay for a copy of their birth certificate in order to get a voter id is a poll tax. Why do some religiously pull out the constitution when it comes to bearing arms yet conveniently forget the constitution when it comes to the right of voting?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Wisconsin has had a problem with double voting by college students.
Quote:
"During the 2004 spring election, UW-Eau Claire student Michael Howard was accused of voting twice during the 2004 spring election in Outagamie County. Howard was charged with a felony that could carry a maximum penalty of 42 months in prison and extended supervision, plus a $10,000 fine. The criminal complaint filed by Outagamie County District Attorney Carrie A. Schneider, who contends that Howard voted in the April 6, 2004 election with an Appleton absentee ballot and again in person in Eau Claire."
The Middletown Insider: What's Up? Did anybody in 2011 vote 2x in the local election?

What is in place to keep that from happening?

The GAP even had a "Vote Twice" campaign aimed at younger voters in 2008:

Voter fraud chic at The Gap; Update: Gap’s response

Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Actually, states that require ID to vote shouldn't be allowed to charge for a basic ID...... charging for the ID would constitute a de facto poll tax, which is a violation of the 24th Amendment.

In fact some states { maybe all, not 100% sure } that do require ID to vote do niot charge for a basic ID, making the arguments against voter ID even more baseless.
Considering a photo ID is used for many OTHER things NOT just fore voting, it could be said that the $5 is so youn can get your drug prescription, or to cash a check or any of the numerous things an ID is required for these days.

NO one say you HAVE to vote.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:08 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Actually, states that require ID to vote shouldn't be allowed to charge for a basic ID...... charging for the ID would constitute a de facto poll tax, which is a violation of the 24th Amendment.

In fact some states { maybe all, not 100% sure } that do require ID to vote do niot charge for a basic ID, making the arguments against voter ID even more baseless.
as long as those who dont have the id can get one for free, then i have no problem with voter id.

i do believe that the gop wishes to exclude as many minorities from the voting process as well though, and believes tactics like this may help them. what it did in 2012 though was the opposite, and record numbers registered and voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies