Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:49 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

Here we are again...it's Christmas time, the most pretentious time of the year!
I wonder if others have noticed the same things.
Here's some of the usual:
-Peace on Earth, yeah, right, (ha-ha-ha) lots of peace! Seems we haven't heard much of this phrase since the invasion of Iraq.
-good will toward men...(ho-ho-ho) as pertaining to the recent discussions about the merits of torture.
-people reminding us to remember the real meaning of Christmas as they jump into their cars and zoom off to the mall to join huge crowds for glorious shopping.
-the media (radio, TV) is filled with cheesy, infantile, fuzzy-feel-good meaningless music ad nauseum. (I fortunately have a large collection of CDs and cassette tapes)
-the frantic bombarding by TV commercials throwing their gift idea concepts into your face. Buy this! Buy that! Buy NOW!
-many US troops needlessly away from home. Many military families spending the first Christmas after the burial of a parent/son/daughter killed in action. The suicide rate for soldiers has increased dramatically...but who cares? How about the soldiers who are made to jump thru burning bureaucratic hoops before they have their wounds and ailments treated, if at all? Merry Christmas?
-homeless people (including families with children) being treated to Christmas meals at various shelters. Good that some people do this. But where are the poor going to eat for the other 364 days? Or enjoy a bit of warmth?
At this time of year I withdraw into the comfort of my work room where I have my choice of music and think about things other than the annual madhouse outside. For years I've viewed Christmas as a time when people become even more phony than usual, pretenders of Christmas cheer, uttering hollow phrases and demonstrating non-genuine gestures.
I was wondering if anyone else can relate to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
-Peace on Earth, yeah, right, (ha-ha-ha) lots of peace! Seems we haven't heard much of this phrase since the invasion of Iraq.
-good will toward men...(ho-ho-ho) as pertaining to the recent discussions about the merits of torture.
-people reminding us to remember the real meaning of Christmas as they jump into their cars and zoom off to the mall to join huge crowds for glorious shopping.
-the media (radio, TV) is filled with cheesy, infantile, fuzzy-feel-good meaningless music ad nauseum. (I fortunately have a large collection of CDs and cassette tapes)
-the frantic bombarding by TV commercials throwing their gift idea concepts into your face. Buy this! Buy that! Buy NOW!
-many US troops needlessly away from home. Many military families spending the first Christmas after the burial of a parent/son/daughter killed in action. The suicide rate for soldiers has increased dramatically...but who cares? How about the soldiers who are made to jump thru burning bureaucratic hoops before they have their wounds and ailments treated, if at all? Merry Christmas?
-homeless people (including families with children) being treated to Christmas meals at various shelters. Good that some people do this. But where are the poor going to eat for the other 364 days? Or enjoy a bit of warmth?
At this time of year I withdraw into the comfort of my work room where I have my choice of music and think about things other than the annual madhouse outside. For years I've viewed Christmas as a time when people become even more phony than usual, pretenders of Christmas cheer, uttering hollow phrases and demonstrating non-genuine gestures.
I'm sorry, I can't. All of the gestures and phrases you describe as non-genuine are only so if the folks making and uttering them are universally motivated by falsity. Since you're not privy to their motivations, how do you know -- and how can you possibly criticize them for something of which you are ignorant?

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Not personally. We love Christmas and all of its meanings. We love to decorate, get togethers with family and friends - from near and afar. We love the Christmas songs - the Christmas movies. We love the shopping (I really love shopping!) -

No, I can't relate at all

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
There is a lot of bad stuff going on, but its up to people as individuals to do what they want in regards to Christmas celebration.

I think most people spend Christmas stressing out over unimportant stuff. But there are still a lot of people who just enjoy it for whatever reason. And as I see it, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the NFL playoffs are the only things that make winter bearable for me!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm sorry, I can't. All of the gestures and phrases you describe as non-genuine are only so if the folks making and uttering them are universally motivated by falsity. Since you're not privy to their motivations, how do you know -- and how can you possibly criticize them for something of which you are ignorant?
Glad to read your response. I always look forward to your posts. (BTW I wish you a Merry Christmas!)
Family get-togethers and all that are fine.
How can you tell if anyone is genuine about anything?
I mentioned several instances that are ongoing. I think I'll wait for several more posts.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 PM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Nope, can't say I do! I love it all.

1st and foremost it is the celebration of the birth of Christ.
It's a celebraton for families.
It's a celebration of your friends.
And the kids, it's all about the kids, the memories that we give them.

I love celebrating life and I can't make all the wrong turn right in the world. I am realistic about that. I am not gng to spend one minute boohooing it. It's a celebration of life, why let it pass by, turn it around. Instead of finding fault, which by the way we can find with everything, find the reasons your glad to be alive and be grateful.

So many reasons to spend a few moments being thankful for Christmas.
This is my life and I make the reality I want. No bah humbug here! I don't have time for it.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Firstly, you might want to look up the meaning of the word pretentious.
Secondly, if the Christmas spirit is stonger at this time of year, it only serves to remind us to keep the spirit of love and good will going throughout the year.
Today, my huband lost a large sum of money in a store and when he went back to look for it, someone had turned it in.
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Firstly, you might want to look up the meaning of the word pretentious.
Secondly, if the Christmas spirit is stonger at this time of year, it only serves to remind us to keep the spirit of love and good will going throughout the year.
Today, my huband lost a large sum of money in a store and when he went back to look for it, someone had turned it in.
Merry Christmas.
Exactly, the wonderful spirit of love and genuine good will that we see continuing on throughout the year. I feel good all over already.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what your rant is about but Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Thanks for depressing me. I really needed that. As if the world doesn't suck enough as it is... I need a post to remind me that the world SUCKS year around.

Maybe this time of year brings focus to things that are right about the world. WTF is wrong with that? Lighten up. Merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies