Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Just wanna get a show of hands since I'm constantly hearing this or that politician rail against Washington...As if they're an outsider themselves.

Of course, all of us are represented by pols that LOVE Washington, but I don't think many of you believe it.

Funny how once they leave office, most of them seemingly find a way to stay in D.C. regardless.

The post elective office lobby money is too big a lure and too lucrative to leave on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Kansas sr senator Pat Roberts owns many pieces of property in the DC and Virginia area while claiming to be a "resident" of Kansas while renting a room in Dodge City. (Which is a town made up primarily of meat packing and slaughtering and more hispanics live there than white people now. Its a total joke and something needs addressed on all these career politicians. Especially in the senate

Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Are you kidding me? DC is their oyster, and they're making pearls daily.

I'm in Cali, the land of confusion. All of our Senators and Rep's are making a killing from special interest.

They stay in DC because it's their payback period. They go from 150k a year, to being paid $2M+ yr from the industries they blessed.

Definition of becoming a lobbyist = retirement bonus.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
The only elected person I ever knew of in office that never made Washington DC his home while serving in Congress was Dick Armey. He slept on a cot in the gym, and never did rent or own property in DC while in office.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Kansas sr senator Pat Roberts owns many pieces of property in the DC and Virginia area while claiming to be a "resident" of Kansas while renting a room in Dodge City. (Which is a town made up primarily of meat packing and slaughtering and more hispanics live there than white people now. Its a total joke and something needs addressed on all these career politicians. Especially in the senate
Bingo.

With a tiny few exceptions, they ALL stay unless they have serious business interests back home.

It just cracks me up when these folksy populist politicians from flyover country start railing against Washington...As if they're gonna go back to the family farm after they're done with elective office.

Truman left the White House, jumped on a train, and went back home to Missouri...broke.

My have times changed. Lol

Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The only elected person I ever knew of in office that never made Washington DC his home while serving in Congress was Dick Armey. He slept on a cot in the gym, and never did rent or own property in DC while in office.
Dick Armey never left either though.

He's still in D.C....making millions as a policy wonk.

Armey couldn't find Texas on a map if that was the only state on the page.

Yeah...he lived frugally as a congressman because he had to. Not anymore.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Yes what is even more sad is many that may actually lose in an election will stay in DC and then become a lobbyist because they know the system. Corruption at its "finest"

Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Yes what is even more sad is many that may actually lose in an election will stay in DC and then become a lobbyist because they know the system. Corruption at its "finest"
Already arranged before leaving office. Probably before they took office too Lol

Still can't believe that a poster dropped Dick Armey's name.

That guy is emblematic of the problem....Not the solution.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
When VP Biden was a senator he rather famously took the train home at night to Delaware.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,917 times
They all love it.... even guys like Coburn who wanted to clean it up. Some may want the gov to run more smoothly and efficiently, but they all love being the decision makers. Every last one of them volunteered for the job and fought tooth and nail against all the other volunteers - not a one of them hates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies