Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 05:24 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Because, political and religious goals, and aspirations, and violence and wars waited until now from happening. What has made younger generations become more religious? Progressivism?
I don't know that younger generations of Muslims have become more religious, or more violent, for that matter. It only seems that way because 1. They have turned some of their focus on US, and 2. Information flows so much more freely as technology advances. They never really evolved past violence. It's like they are still living in the middle ages. Most religions seem to have matured and grown out of their violent pasts. For some reason Islam hasn't gotten the message. If this was 500 years ago, I would be complaining about violent Christians torturing people until they agreed to convert and killing those that didn't. But like I said, it is not 500 years ago, so it is not really relevant.

There are many non-violent Muslims in the world, but if the minority is large enough, rarely does the non-violent majority win out over the violent minority. I don't think I could say it better than this lady:

The Peaceful Majority Were Irrelevant

Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
and this video is pretty Self-explanatory. I think only Muslims have the right to say if they have been ill treated by Israel or not. Obviously, this young Muslim man says Israel is the ONLY hope for Democracy in Middle East.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fbDjpbBHb4

Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't know that younger generations of Muslims have become more religious, or more violent, for that matter.
That contradicts your argument on religion.

Quote:
It only seems that way because 1. They have turned some of their focus on US, and 2. Information flows so much more freely as technology advances.
The focus in the US started to turn after WWII: 1- Israel. 2- Iran. 3- Unconditional support for Israel. 4- Increasing influence in the Middle East (Oil, Iran, support to Iraq against Iran). Speed of flow of information has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
They never really evolved past violence. It's like they are still living in the middle ages. Most religions seem to have matured and grown out of their violent pasts.
Now you're back on making an argument on religion. But, I feel that about many nuts regardless of their religious affiliation. People have always hated people of other beliefs. This is nothing new.

Quote:
For some reason Islam hasn't gotten the message.
And this is exactly the side opposite you thinks. Clearly, the problem did not go away with time. It just takes a new shape, every few decades.

Quote:
I would be complaining about violent Christians torturing people until they agreed to convert and killing those that didn't. But like I said, it is not 500 years ago, so it is not really relevant.
A change in approach does not change the concept. For that matter, this isn't about conversion, this is about pushing on one's own ideology. You didn't notice that ISIS is killing Muslims as well. Did you? How a bunch of nutcases go about executing their plan may be different, the motivation is the same: Propagation of self-righteousness.

On the topic, rise of Zionism in early 20th century led to a fodder for Nazis and Fascists. Economic chaos and Great Depression following WWI further enabled villifying a certain sect. This was also the time of the rise of Haganah, and later, Irgun. When a majority makes an attempt to do what the Nazis were doing, pushing for "pure" Culture, Christianity (a unifying tool) and villifying Jews, communists, gays, diversity and "illegal immigrants" (the Romani gypsies) as being the causes of ills that Germany and the world faced, also worked as a fodder for Zionists to build "State of Israel".

Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That contradicts your argument on religion.

The focus in the US started to turn after WWII: 1- Israel. 2- Iran. 3- Unconditional support for Israel. 4- Increasing influence in the Middle East (Oil, Iran, support to Iraq against Iran). Speed of flow of information has nothing to do with it.

Now you're back on making an argument on religion. But, I feel that about many nuts regardless of their religious affiliation. People have always hated people of other beliefs. This is nothing new.

And this is exactly the side opposite you thinks. Clearly, the problem did not go away with time. It just takes a new shape, every few decades.

A change in approach does not change the concept. For that matter, this isn't about conversion, this is about pushing on one's own ideology. You didn't notice that ISIS is killing Muslims as well. Did you? How a bunch of nutcases go about executing their plan may be different, the motivation is the same: Propagation of self-righteousness.

On the topic, rise of Zionism in early 20th century led to a fodder for Nazis and Fascists. Economic chaos and Great Depression following WWI further enabled villifying a certain sect. This was also the time of the rise of Haganah, and later, Irgun. When a majority makes an attempt to do what the Nazis were doing, pushing for "pure" Culture, Christianity (a unifying tool) and villifying Jews, communists, gays, diversity and "illegal immigrants" (the Romani gypsies) as being the causes of ills that Germany and the world faced, also worked as a fodder for Zionists to build "State of Israel".
It doesn't contradict anything. The violence has always been there. You may be noticing it more now, but that doesn't mean it left and now people are suddenly more religious and more violent. Do I really need to go down a long list of all the religion induced violence in the Muslim world in recent history? There is no denying that there are violent radicals in all religions, but when violence happens in the name of another religion, it is an anomaly. Anyone who is being honest with themselves will come to the conclusion that there is VASTLY more violence tied to Islam around the world than ANY other religion in modern times. Do you disagree?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
It doesn't contradict anything. The violence has always been there. You may be noticing it more now, but that doesn't mean it left and now people are suddenly more religious and more violent.
I didn't say that. If anything, religions likely have been the cause of most violence around the world, and that didn't start in recent decades either, or will end any time in the future. Religion has served as an indispensable tool to organize populace, for politics and power and likely invented for it. Take a look at self: "Islam is an enemy" is a propaganda in vogue here, and similar mindset runs their mind. When you think religion, you're no different.

But, here is your contradiction. You attempted a play with youth being driven by religion towards violence because their religion has refused to keep up with the times (as in, a religion YOU hate). So, I asked, is this due to progressivism? And now you claim, that it has nothing to do with religion.

Quote:
Do I really need to go down a long list of all the religion induced violence in the Muslim world in recent history?
Sure, if you don't mind me adding causes and drawing parallels to it from other religions. Trust me, if you were born a Sunni in Iraq, you'd probably be praising ISIS for doing the good work against the "oppressors". Its all about the attitude.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
The lesson they learned from the Nazis is that when someone tries to exterminate you, you fight back. They clearly learned that lesson very well. It is very easy to avoid Israel's wrath. All you have to do is sit back and not try to exterminate them. It seems like an easy enough concept, but some people are to thick headed to get it.

The fact that Israel is trying to exterminate the Palestinians and take their land eludes you.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The fact that Israel is trying to exterminate the Palestinians and take their land eludes you.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that. If anything, religions likely have been the cause of most violence around the world, and that didn't start in recent decades either, or will end any time in the future. Religion has served as an indispensable tool to organize populace, for politics and power and likely invented for it. Take a look at self: "Islam is an enemy" is a propaganda in vogue here, and similar mindset runs their mind. When you think religion, you're no different.

But, here is your contradiction. You attempted a play with youth being driven by religion towards violence because their religion has refused to keep up with the times (as in, a religion YOU hate). So, I asked, is this due to progressivism? And now you claim, that it has nothing to do with religion.
I want to start off by saying I'm not a big fan of religion in general, but there is one that stands out in modern times when it comes to violent radical fundamentalism. I never claimed it has nothing to do with religion. I only claimed it has nothing to do with genetics. And we are agreeing that religion has been the cause of most violence AND that it is nothing new. I'm not getting what you are inferring with your "progressivism" question. Are you asking if I believe that is the cause of the non-violent transformations of other religions? I don't know. It depends how you define progressivism. It seems that many people who define themselves as "progressives" favor the Islamists. At the same time it certainly is "progress" that other religions have, for the most part, given up their violent ways. So take your pick.

Quote:
Sure, if you don't mind me adding causes and drawing parallels to it from other religions. Trust me, if you were born a Sunni in Iraq, you'd probably be praising ISIS for doing the good work against the "oppressors". Its all about the attitude.
All religions have people that feel "oppressed", but most religions don't have people flying planes into buildings, strapping bombs to kids, and cutting people's heads off. There are no "causes" that you can give me that will justify such behavior, and few parallels from other religions on a large enough scale or, more importantly, in our lifetimes. Drawing anomalous parallels or those from previous generations only bolsters my point.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Google Israeli settlements.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What eludes you is that if that was their plan, they could have succeeded many years ago. They could today, in a matter of hours, possibly even minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies