Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,899,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I am an expert on small arms. I have spent more money on guns and rifles than anyone here. For the most dangerous game ("Black Death"), I would advise using the standard weapons for hunting - not military weapons.
What is your definition of 'military weapons'? Because most of the hunting rifles of today were either adapted from a military weapon, were a former military weapon or are currently used by both hunters and the military.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Jeeez, I wish they did go pfft, I was very disappointed when I heard my first round fired through a suppressor, I was thinking that did not reduce the noise that much and I still want to keep my ear muffs on. It helps with the noise travelling as far and as loud but right next to it the sound was still plenty loud. I am sure some are better than others and in some places in Europe they are required to reduce the noise pollution but for me I do not ever see the need for one, but I also do not see why they are even regulated.
I bought a Spectre II for my GSG 1911 .22 for "backyard" plinking. When I use the Gemtech subsonic 22 rounds, that thing is crazy quiet. Additionally, the Spectre II doesn't have FRP issues.

Quote:
You don't need a suppressor on your hunting rifle. Citizens who are not serving on active duty in military service have no need to have military weapons. Get used to it.
What about when I don't want to disturb other people with loud noises?

Additionally, can you define "military weapons" for us. I know some people who collect and shoot military weapons from the civil war era.

Quote:
I am an expert on small arms. I have spent more money on guns and rifles than anyone here.
Quite the bold statement. I'd also wager money that is not the case.

I'd bet you have spent more than me, but I'd also bet others on CD have spent much more than you. The odds just aren't in your favor unless you are a multimillionaire whose main hobby is firearms, because there are lot's of those guys and one or two could be on CD forums.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I bought a Spectre II for my GSG 1911 .22 for "backyard" plinking. When I use the Gemtech subsonic 22 rounds, that thing is crazy quiet. Additionally, the Spectre II doesn't have FRP issues.

What about when I don't want to disturb other people with loud noises?

Additionally, can you define "military weapons" for us. I know some people who collect and shoot military weapons from the civil war era.

Quite the bold statement. I'd also wager money that is not the case.

I'd bet you have spent more than me, but I'd also bet others on CD have spent much more than you. The odds just aren't in your favor unless you are a multimillionaire whose main hobby is firearms, because there are lot's of those guys and one or two could be on CD forums.
You are talking a .22 try one on a .40 or .45 and see how that works out, heck one on a 9mm makes more noise than your .22 without a noise reduction device. Granted they does reduce sound to more tolerable levels but none are anything like one sees in some Hollywood movie.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
I am an expert on small arms. I have spent more money on guns and rifles than anyone here. For the most dangerous game ("Black Death"), I would advise using the standard weapons for hunting - not military weapons.
Big deal many of us have the same or better qualifications, I qualified expert for 8 years straight on rifle, pistol, machinegun and grenade and ran ranges for both military and civilian (law enforcement agencies) personnel and served several tours in combat as a Grunt (11B). There are several people here that have as good, or better, experience that I have so I would not toot your horn too loudly. Thanks for your service by the way.
As for spending more money, my wife might disagree with you on that, but hey spend what you want, there does come a point when enough is enough unless you are a major collector or want to start your own militia. I disagree with your idea that a hunting rifle is better than a military style weapon for serious defensive or aggressive work. Military style weapons are specifically designed for warfare and the designs have proven themselves to be the best choices for the purpose intended, I'll take a good 7.62 NATO AR, a good automatic handgun and good quality fighting knife over any other weapon combination in the world and know my changes are better than most to come out a winner once again. Black Death is a game, entertaining but nothing like reality even a warped one like they use in the game. Just thought you should know not everyone here are couch warriors, many here, both Liberals and Conservatives, were proud to serve this Nation when called upon and some still do.
For the picky here there is a 7.62 NATO round it is also a .308, several manufactures make ARs in this caliber, and it is the same caliber used in the M60, M1A and M14 and several variants are still in use, especially in Afghanistan since it has more range and hitting power over the usual 5.56mm round used in most ARs such as the M16 or M4. I have nothing against the 5.56mm round, it served me well but for real power and long range accuracy I will take the 7.62 NATO over the 5.56mm any day, and I own both variations, one is a bit more weight but you get used to it.

Last edited by Casper in Dallas; 08-06-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 11:41 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL. Out of uniform, in a theater of war.

EDIT: Deleted your post? Why?
Leading your men to sure death by firing squad? No way to defend yourself... Nut job on a death wish.
The Gung-ho idiot, was the name we had for those passive fools.
He is a liar.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I served two tours in Vietnam, and never carried a weapon. What is your military service?
What branch, what is your serial number?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
What? what did you say?
Could you repeat that, I didn't hear you?

Surprising that rifle scopes and red dots aren't on that list.
That is a legacy law that may have had some relevance in a quiet circa1933 town. alerts local game warden who sleeps with windows open that a deer has been jacked. Oops! crossbows are now legal.

theoretically anyone in sight of a crime is alerted and can note any suspicious behavior after the shot.
then again in places like Detroit 90 something % of the murders go unsolved because the witnesses refuse to cooperate with police.

Then again, though supressors are illegal, it makes you wonder why gangs appear to not typically use them. Guess they don't see any advantage to using a supressor.
Those gang members can barely shot most of the them let alone clean their weapons, I don't then they would even know to to clean a suppressor let alone how to use one.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Notice the silence about military service of those that advocate the need for military weapons.
Because we have the right to them.

Furthermore why should I have permanent hearing loss for having to defend my life in my home?

But then again you would know the value of suppressors if you were in the military.

You do understand that suppressors are not "military weapons" right?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You advise and say alot of things that are not true...

Let people use what ever tools they so choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.