Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In my misspent youth's Catholic upbringing it was the Church itself that tried to produce feelings of guilt including telling me I'd be doomed to hell if I even set foot in any other church. They should be proud, there's nothing could have been more effective in driving me from organized religion.
Sounds like a flat out lie to me.

Eternal life is not about the "where" or the "what"... it's about the "who"

Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I won't bicker details (use vs misuse) but at least you concede they are consistent with its use.
No, I'm conceding that they consistently misuse it.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So one would think, but they've already paid the Baptists $280 million so far this year to provide care for the illegal minors:

http://theconservativetreehouse.file.../bcfs-2014.jpg

Child Migrants Find Shelter With Baptist Charity In Border Crises - TIME

But school vouchers for students so inner-city kids aren't purposely trapped in public schools and consequently kept dumb and poor? NO WAY!

Hypocrites! The lot of them!
That's just one front group. It is not representative of all Baptist organizations.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sounds like a flat out lie to me.

Eternal life is not about the "where" or the "what"... it's about the "who"
I usually identify myself as a recovering Catholic and when someone asks what that is I say I'm still trying to get over all the lies they told me when I was young and gullible.

And if you're accusing me of lying I know at least 2 other people who grew up in different parts of the country who were also told the same BS about stepping foot in another church condemning you to hell.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I usually identify myself as a recovering Catholic and when someone asks what that is I say I'm still trying to get over all the lies they told me when I was young and gullible.
I understand.

However, there is a truth that exists.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I understand.

However, there is a truth that exists.
And there are many unknowns that exist.

I believe from observation there are forces in the universe NO mere mortal can understand and that includes those who stand with their hands out telling me they do.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:

And if you're accusing me of lying I know at least 2 other people who grew up in different parts of the country who were also told the same BS about stepping foot in another church condemning you to hell.
I grew up in NYC and went to Catholic school and I remember that so you can up that to 3.
We were going to hell for a lot of reasons back then.

I still have my faith and I have read the Bible as well as "the rest of the story" about the Catholic Church and have rejected all organized religions.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
And there are many unknowns that exist.

I believe from observation there are forces in the universe NO mere mortal can understand and that includes those who stand with their hands out telling me they do.
There was a time when I would agree with you - but that is not the case now. Some (not all) things can be understood that were not possible for me in the past.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM

89,007 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
That's just one front group. It is not representative of all Baptist organizations.
Matters not. Public money is going to a religious organization for the care of minor illegals, but the same Dems refuse to allow school vouchers because they object to public money going to a religious organization.

Hypocrites, the lot of them!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I grew up in NYC and went to Catholic school and I remember that so you can up that to 3.
We were going to hell for a lot of reasons back then.
WOW! I didn't even go to Catholic School, they tried to do all their shaming in an hour or so of weekly 'Sunday School'.

Quote:
I still have my faith and I have read the Bible as well as "the rest of the story" about the Catholic Church and have rejected all organized religions.
The more I read and age the more I can identify with the Deists. I most definitely have trouble with the other consistent Catholic teaching I've heard from others that it's the only 'true' religion. I'll probably never be a 'God-fearing' man because I really don't understand the concept of worshipping a deity one need fear and I have real doubt that any mere mortal will ever be able to explain the unexplainable. I try to live a decent moral life which and don't believe that requires a 'religion' to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies