Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:42 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Touched surfaces that had bodily fluids on them. Didn't wash his hands. Touched his face afterwards...
Spoke with an acquaintance tonight who's a communicable disease expert and while you'll not get it from just standing in a room with an infected person, people are nasty and people don't wash their hands.

Wash your dang hands.
I'd like for your acquaintance or anyone else who's sure ebola isn't airborne transmitted to volunteer to remain in a quarantined room with an infected patient.

Perhaps some terminally ill people as a public service would volunteer to join them.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:47 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Duncan proved that screening in these countries is a farce.
Unless they have a fever they will get through.
That questionnaire means nothing.
He has lied since day 1. Nothing he says can be taken as the truth.
There is a fair chance he may have been sick while on the planes coming over.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
My concern is that this happened in a big refugee community.
Are these people informed ?

Here's what one man in the neighborhood said:

Ebola victim left Africa after direct contact with the virus | Dallas Morning News
“Ebola? Oh, Ebola,” said Bobby Turner, who lives in a neighboring complex. “I never heard of Ebola.” When he learned what it was and how close it might have been, Turner’s eyes widened. “I’m gonna move the hell out of here. I ain’t gonna get no Ebola.”

Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This is the same with EVERY... OTHER... DISEASE.

HIV, Bird Flu, H1N1, SARS, West Nile... those are all still around, some of them even more spread out than Ebola, yet no one's talking about them? Why? Because of "bandwagon panic".

Yes, it's fine to be concerned. It's ok to want to learn more about it. But when you start ASSUMING things and creating "what ifs" that are totally unreasonable, you make the situation much worse than it probably is.

The majority of people who die from this are people in areas where medical attention is either limited or virtually non-existant, which, sad to say, is typically some countries in Africa.
I am speaking for some of us here.
Yes, we are concerned but we are NOT panicking, waving our hands up, screaming while circling around the kitchen island.
Alot of us who you perceive as "paranoid" are actually voicing our contempt on how officials have been handling the situation.

There are other factors that made us concern more about this virus:
1. That there are still alot of unknown to this virus. The only way to recover once ones contract it is to ensure ones get enough electrolytes, blood and whatnot.
2. Sure, the healthcare system in the US is great. We don't have to worry. The chance of survival here is greater than that in Africa. But who wants to get sick while constantly vomiting as well as oozing liquids from their various orifices?
3. Finally, sure if we contract it, there is a huge chance for us to survive since we have "the best" healthcare system. But think of all the medical debt we have after we are released from the hospital.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
My concern is that this happened in a big refugee community.
Are these people informed ?

Here's what one man in the neighborhood said:

Ebola victim left Africa after direct contact with the virus | Dallas Morning News
“Ebola? Oh, Ebola,” said Bobby Turner, who lives in a neighboring complex. “I never heard of Ebola.” When he learned what it was and how close it might have been, Turner’s eyes widened. “I’m gonna move the hell out of here. I ain’t gonna get no Ebola.”
how can one have lived in this country for the past 2 months and not have even heard of ebola?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Ok but Ebola is not HIV. I wouldn't dismiss the concern.
When a virus jumps to a new host anything is possible as it moves from host to host.
I choose to not live my life with an anything is possible mindset as it relates to viruses.

Had the US temporarily banned visas for Liberian citizens, Duncan would not be in Dallas. If not Duncan, it would have been someone else from somewhere else, sooner or later.

I have posted before how I could buy a R/T ticket on a US carrier to London with a return flight 30 days later. In the interim, I could travel anywhere in the world and not be tracked. Passports do not have to be stamped. There is no international database of immigration or travel intineraries.

The day before my return, I could take a train to Belgium for a bit of touring and lunch and become exposed to Ebola. Once back home I could come down with the stomach flu and not think anything of it beyond my immediate discomfort. Nothing about my recent travel would suggest I would be at risk for Ebola. As the virus progressed I could potentially infect thousands.

The only thing that might mitigate this exposure would be isolation, disallow all international flights, cruise ships and land border crossings from Mexico and Canada. And yeah, I would be more concerned about Canada than Mexico. Too bad for the US people who chose to leave the US on business or for tourism. We won't let them come home.

Given the impracticality of this course of action, some blame Obama.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
over 30 million people worldwide have aids. Currently less then 8,000 have Ebola.

AIDS is 3,750 times more likely to suddenly become airborne.

So yeah, im not too worried about Ebola becoming airborne
what do you base such a claim on?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:15 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
The answer is simple. Quarantine the affected countries until the disease burns itself out.

Treat them like Hotel California, you may checkin but can never leave........................

Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
A microbiologist and emergency trauma physician says that the CDC is lying. He's saying the same thing I've been saying that the U.S. government is going to say anything not to cause a panic, but to also cover their ass.

Doc protests health officials' handling of Ebola threatI don't see why anyone should listen to you or this doctor over the CDC or the zillions of other health professionals that continue to claim that Ebola is a manageable situation. A couple mavericks disagree with the massive body of educated opinion and you go running to their camp. Where have I seen this before?

Mo. doctor protests CDC by showing up at Atlanta airport in Hazmat gear: 'CDC is lying' - NY Daily News
I don't see why anyone should listen to you or this doctor over the CDC or the zillions of other health professionals that continue to claim that Ebola is a manageable situation. A couple mavericks disagree with the massive body of educated opinion and you go running to their camp. Where have I seen this before?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 AM

there's a separate outbreak now in the congo, unrelated to the other one.

Congo outbreak of Ebola unrelated to escalating West African epidemic | Science/AAAS | News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies