Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
How long does it take to get the test results back from an Ebola test?
My understanding is that it's a blood test. Is this something that takes several days?
There are several different tests for Ebola, but the most common (and not quite as accurate one) takes about one day from what I understand. It can take a shorter amount of time in some cases.

The question I've been researching is how soon can Ebola be detected in a person? Apparently, the tests aren't accurate until the person becomes symptomatic.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL right - one more.

As for Nigeria - they DID have an outbreak of Ebola. They have managed to contain it but it happened - just a few months ago, July to be exact.

How Nigeria contained its Ebola outbreak - World - CBC News
There have been at least 7 outbreaks in Africa over the past 10-12 years. This one is the biggest.

Nigeria has a healthcare infrastructure and is better positioned to respond than Liberia or Seirra Leone. They also stopped all incoming/ outgoing commercial flights to/ from the infected countries after a passenger presented with Ebola and infected, at the time, unprepared healthcare workers.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Agree with everything here. Moreover, like you, my occupation is healthcare....but I have the additional added risk factor of being married to an airline pilot. His occupation is EVERY bit as risky, and in some ways even more risky than everyone elses' because you cannot get away from the respiratory secretions of other passengers on an airplane Everyone breathes the same tainted air. Add to this the fact you have no idea WHO you're flying on your airplane or WHERE they've come from.

This whole Ebola mess has me very worried

We also have a little 2nd grader on top of it all.
I understand your concerns, that's for sure.

My husband flies through several international airports twice a month, sometimes more often. At least I'm glad to report that he finally stopped actually working in West Africa! That was unnerving even before the Ebola outbreak. He was quarantined several times, and was always bringing home what we called "mystery illnesses" that caused malaise, rashes, even boils. The month he stopped working and traveling over there, we stopped having those weird illnesses.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are a health care worker and are not aware that ebola cannot be spread by air?
Maybe she's aware that viruses can mutate.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Wrong the regulation an in some cases the operation of hospitals and clinics is a state, county or municipal responsibility . States regulate and license all levels of health care professional. Did you know a Doctors Medical License to practice medicine in Texas is is null and void up here in Maryland and if he tried to practice medicine here in Maryland he would be treated as a felon until he got a license to pactice medicine in Maryland from our Medical Licensing Board. Now if he found himself facing an emergency situation rest assured we have a Good Samaritan Law in this state so his expertise would be welcomed (He just can charge for his services). In fact if you are in a position to help and know what to do failure to assist is crime and you could be hauled into court for that. For example lets say he is on I-95 heading into Baltimore for a meeting at Johns Hopkins and he witnesses a car crash....

The Mac Sennett comedy of errors at Presbyterian and with State ,and local authorities shows that the State of Texas doesn't take public health seriously enough to spend much on it. One can have as many mock drills against unlikely senarios until the cow come home but every one will act like excited chickens when it isn't a drill.
All MDs are licensed at the state level.

Dallas and Houston have some of the best healthcare in the world.

Something went amiss with the initial communication within the hospital and as these things go in the public and private sector, it becomes challenging to get to the root cause. It will be sorted out and the entire US healthcare system will benefit from it.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I was actually being sarcastic.. me thinks its a lot easier to get infected than what's being reported..

I figure it will spread though Africa with in one year. all it takes is a few disgruntled to spread it faster than it already is..
The reason it has spread in the three countries is due to a lack of a healthcare infrastructure under the best of circumstances and culture. Life expectancy is age 50-55 , dependent on birth year. About 40% of the adult population is illiterate. Indoor plumbing and potable water are luxuries in some areas.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-04-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 07:10 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are a health care worker and are not aware that ebola cannot be spread by air?
Can I add you to the list of volunteers to stay in the same room as a patient with ebola ? So many of you are sure that ebola isn't airborne, I'd like the CDC or other research facilities to seek volunteers for the experiment.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Here's the deal.

The hospital in Dallas was unprepared for this patient -- meaning they did not have their sh*t together. Just another black guy with symptoms of fever/flu. From intake to discharge no bells rang in any of their well trained heads. These people get bombarded in ER's with thousands of look alike symptoms. They are rushed and want to move the patient along.

NOONE took the time to look at the medical record and the 1st nurse and the 1st doctor who are trained to ask the questions about recent travel either ignored the answer or did not know about Ebola.

This falls squarely on the training offered to these employees. Infection control should be FIRED! and I am sure CDC will recommend as much. In the ER I work in we are trained. If any one like the patent in question presents via the door or ambulance we ask 4 questions. If two are yes we isolate call CDC and call the head of the hospital. We have other protocols as well for contacts.

One cannot underestimate this screw up.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Here's the deal.

The hospital in Dallas was unprepared for this patient -- meaning they did not have their sh*t together. Just another black guy with symptoms of fever/flu. From intake to discharge no bells rang in any of their well trained heads. These people get bombarded in ER's with thousands of look alike symptoms. They are rushed and want to move the patient along.

NOONE took the time to look at the medical record and the 1st nurse and the 1st doctor who are trained to ask the questions about recent travel either ignored the answer or did not know about Ebola.

This falls squarely on the training offered to these employees. Infection control should be FIRED! and I am sure CDC will recommend as much. In the ER I work in we are trained. If any one like the patent in question presents via the door or ambulance we ask 4 questions. If two are yes we isolate call CDC and call the head of the hospital. We have other protocols as well for contacts.

One cannot underestimate this screw up.
I agree, and I hope this is a wakeup call to hospitals, municipalities, and local, state and federal agencies ACROSS THE NATION. They need to work together to establish a clear protocol to follow - like, yesterday.

Clearly, in the Dallas situation, there are too many cooks in the kitchen, and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Only one agency should be tasked with hiring the clean up crew - one agency, one person in charge of having a company on speed dial which has the proper HazMat certifications to transport biohazards. Honestly, that's not that difficult, but it IS difficult if everyone thinks someone else is in charge of doing that.

Hopefully the rest of the nation can learn from the mistakes made in Dallas.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The reason it has spread in the three countries is due to a lack of a healthcare infrastructure under the best of circumstances and culture. Life expectancy is age 50-55 , dependent on birth year. About 40% of the adult population is illiterate. Indoor plumbing and potable water are luxuries in some areas.

yes ,and the way it will be spread here will be because we are so complaicant
and we just got eye witness to that in Texas
now we have at least 10 people who are at high risk
wonder how many more we will get over the next few weeks?
there is already some more folks who have it in NY and I forget where else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies