Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,522,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
We'sa all gonna die!!!
Well, the two things that are certain in life are death and taxes.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right, but no one fresh from west Africa is hanging around throwing up in my kitchen sink.
How do you know? Are you ALWAYS home? Do you sleep in your kitchen? Could someone even now be barfing in your sink, with you unaware?

\o/ Run for your life, you could be at risk even now!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug, so bar people with temperatures from getting on airplanes. As a FYI this is done in many countries. They use IR cameras to watch everyone.
Thanks - I'm pretty familiar with transcontinental/international flights, including the Bizarro-Land flights and airlines in and out of West Africa, quarantines, isolation, etc. Up until about six years ago, my husband worked in West Africa and flew in and out of Nigeria, Angola, Liberia, Equatorial Guinea, etc and several times he was quarantined or not allowed to leave the country due to widespread disease or vermin. After a few rounds of quarantine, and when westerners began being kidnapped in Nigeria, he decided he was sick of working over there - THANK GOODNESS.

About half of his rotations each year, he would come home sick with some weird sort of funk. Then I'd get it. Then we'd both be sick while he was home, then he'd recover and go back...and we'd cross our fingers and hope we didn't catch another round of weird crap.

He was not allowed to leave a rig several times, till everyone was checked for (fill in the blank). At one point, he had to get off the airplane, I was not allowed to touch him when I picked him up, he had to put his bag in the back of the truck, we were to go straight to a hotel room where he had to put his clothing in a plastic bag, and take a 45 minute shower, washing his entire body three times, with some sort of prescription soap, then I had to do the same, and then we had to burn his luggage and his clothes and throw away his equipment.

There's a lot of crazy funk over there - that needs to stay over there.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,071,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, the two things that are certain in life are death and taxes.
Oh great, now Obozo is gonna hit us with an Ebola tax.

Last edited by hammertime33; 08-04-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh great, now Obozo is gonna hit us with and Ebola tax.
Well, that's not at all what I meant.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I did not read your link as I have read others. Apparently the guy recovered dramatically within 20 minutes of getting the "secret serum". This makes me think all the more that the US military or CIA is behind this virus and has also looked at antidotes. Pretty sick, but hardly a surprise.
The government has heavily invested in 2 companies regarding ebola.
It's public news.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,712,967 times
Quote:
Basically we could get rib of ebola here by these simple rules.

If you have a temp stay at home, and go to the hospital if you feel nauseous. Quarantine your family.

If you're waiting to see a Dr, do not poop, or pee on things-if you do quarantine the area, and cleanup with bleach.

Wash your hands

Before playing in someones blood or other fluids, check their temp.

These people aren't contagious unless they have symptoms.

Don't touch dead bodies without gloves

Do not place dead bodies in wood chippers and bathe in the blood.

Do not play in poop.

Do not believe you can lay hands on people and cure them.

Do not handle bodily fluids of a sick person with your bare hands.
Great thanks Doc! Maybe you can explain these simple rules to Dr. Brantley, who is currently infected. Here's the protocol he was using:

Quote:
He and his team remained uncommonly careful, spending at least a half-hour suiting up before venturing into the Ebola isolation ward. Every centimeter of skin was covered. Gloves were doubled and taped to sleeves. But the hands were skilled. And Brantly’s deep-blue eyes were no less kind and caring behind plastic goggles. He would spend at least a half-hour being decontaminated afterward. - See more at: ‘He Could Have Brought Ebola Here’: Minnesota Widow on Her Husband - The Daily Beast
If only he had read this message board he could have learned how to save himself from Ebola.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,280,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I did not read your link as I have read others. Apparently the guy recovered dramatically within 20 minutes of getting the "secret serum". This makes me think all the more that the US military or CIA is behind this virus and has also looked at antidotes. Pretty sick, but hardly a surprise.
Ebola and aids produced in the same lab by do gooders fighting the good fight against the worlds overpopulation problem

I wonder what the do gooders are cooking up for our current climate change scare.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Great thanks Doc! Maybe you can explain these simple rules to Dr. Brantley, who is currently infected. Here's the protocol he was using:

If only he had read this message board he could have learned how to save himself from Ebola.
Most likely theory at the moment is that one of the worker there did not follow procedures, and contaminated a surface in the cleanup area. IE someone did something amazingly stupid while caring for someone with Ebola. See the "playing around with contaminated blood" rule. Could also apply to poop or pee.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,251,974 times
Quote:
These people aren't contagious unless they have symptoms.
Zaire ebolavirus has been detected by RT-PCR in semen 91 days post infection (and in convalescence), and Sudan ebolavirus has been cultured from semen 40 days post infection and in convalescence (which runs counter to the CDC statements). Those studies were only able to culture from saliva during the acute phase, breast milk both acute and convalescent, and the aforementioned. However various body fluids did test positive with RT-PCR for the virus (whether it's infectious or not given the lack of cultures generated is debatable), but 40 days post infection is still past symptomatic. Fact is that even experts don't really know how infectious it is and what precise vectors it uses, sure we know it's transmitted by body fluids, but not specifically which fluids, suprisingly nasal blood from an acute patient couldn't be cultured. Since medical professionals seem especially susceptible knowing the current state of the art for Ebola, I'm betting that there's more to it's transmission than we know.

Clinical, Virologic, and Immunologic Follow-Up of Convalescent Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Patients and Their Household Contacts, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Assessment of the Risk of Ebola Virus Transmission from Bodily Fluids and Fomites

Now not to put too fine a point on it, people use bathrooms for all kinds of purposes, and just getting over a life threatening virus might make someone want to experience the mile high club with or without company, beating one out from the spank tank or partaking of some company in the bathroom at 30,000 feet might not leave that person (or persons) with sufficient time to be entirely hygenic, now it's not feces being transmitted by hand contact, but something entirely different.

Just sayin'...

Quote:
Shrug, so bar people with temperatures from getting on airplanes. As a FYI this is done in many countries. They use IR cameras to watch everyone.
Won't work, you could be incubating and not yet have a raised body temperature enough to trigger an alarm, other people may have a natural body temperature that will trigger the alarm, human body temps are a range, not a specific value. 97.7 - 99.5 F, someone with a naturally low body temp (97.7) could be running nearly 2 degrees of fever without tripping any sensor. Unless you know someone's baseline body temperature it's too coarse a filter to have any great benefit except those probably already presenting symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies