Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times

Advertisements

Just no one start the race thread. This guy received the best care available. For free. The drugs that saved some are not available with no due date on the next batch. The medical system took great care AND risk to try and save the man. It didn't work. We are all truly sorry for that.

Condolences to his family and may they recover soon.

Signed,

A sincere Republican

Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We must assume for the present time that casual contact with an infected person specifically meaning touching them and touching yourself can lead to transmission. To not do so is foolhardy.
You don't need to assume. That is what the CDC recommends. Do not touch an ebola victim, dead or alive.
It can be transmitted via sweat.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Thankfully, the NATIONAL Media isn't reporting everything. Our local news reported last week that a teenage boy was quarantined for "exhibiting flu like symptoms" landing at SW Florida Airport in Ft. Myers but did not say from where. It turned out he did have the FLU. There are NO direct flights from Africa, or most European cities, at this airport. Their international flights mostly are from places like Canada, Caribbean, South America, and Mexico. If he had travelled from Africa, he would have had to made a connecting flight from somewhere else in a US CITY. Think about that one! Are they stopping everyone now with common colds, flu, drunk, morning sickness? Reported also in local news that SW Aiport is now screening passengers. Oh, great. What does THAT mean? Will passengers now have to have their temperatures taken when going through security? BS.

I fly several times a year from Ft. Myers to JFK and will be next week. Will I see passengers wearing masks and gloves (more effective than hand washing) on the planes? lol Hidden message. Make sure you get your flu shots so you won't get the flu (which can kill you and others too?) or other people will think you have EBOLA? I would not put it past the CDC to be using Ebola for this reason as the means to an end.

You have to just keep living your life.
Millions fly each year on US carriers with colds and flu like systems. They also board cruise ships.

200,000 people are hospitalized in the US each year for the flu.

No doubt this will get more attention, this year.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That damn Obama!
Stupid jokes about a deadly disease that is killing hundreds of thousands of people.

I guess this helps me understand the liberal mind a little bit more.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The odds were NOT in his favor to survive.
The other 2 were medical folks that knew what to do when symptoms showed up.
The 2 priests in Spain didn't make it.

Of course it will happen again. This is Ebola here, not the flu.
The odds of surviving are not in your favor.

Being in the US does not guarantee you will survive Ebola.
Clarification. I'm not talking about his general odds of surviving. I'm saying there needs to be accountability for the Dallas hospital turning him away.

Also, we don't really know what the mortality rate is when you have good care from the very beginning. So we can't say what the odds are.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:57 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't need to assume. That is what the CDC recommends. Do not touch an ebola victim, dead or alive.
It can be transmitted via sweat.
For some reason my point is not coming across. Perhaps this will help.

From the NY Times today.

"She (spanish nurse) told the Spanish newspaper El Mundo that she had followed the full safety protocol for treating an infected patient and did not have “the slightest idea” how she could have gotten the virus.

The auxiliary nurse, identified by El Mundo as María Teresa Romero Ramos, was reached by telephone by the newspaper late Tuesday in an isolated unit of Carlos III Hospital in Madrid, where she is being treated and where she had helped look after the missionary, who died on Sept. 25.

In the brief conversation, Ms. Romero said she felt “a little better” since being hospitalized on Monday. She offered no clue as to what could have led to her infection, saying that she stuck to the protocol. She has been a health care worker for 15 years, according to Spanish newspapers, which variously gave her age as 40 or 44".

Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Duncan has died. So much for my supposition that Ebola is not particularly fatal with proper medical care.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Clarification. I'm not talking about his general odds of surviving. I'm saying there needs to be accountability for the Dallas hospital turning him away.

Also, we don't really know what the mortality rate is when you have good care from the very beginning. So we can't say what the odds are.
I think they already made changes.
Software got changed so that EMR and EHR have the same data.
CDC changed their guidelines and checklist.

And it looks like the changes are doing a better job.
That is why you are seeing so many more put into isolation right away now.

Fever + travel to Africa = immediate isolation

They asked about contact with ebola victims previously.
We don't know what Duncan said. That pregnant girl in Africa was diagnosed with malaria, not ebola.

So now healthcare workers don't ask that question anymore.
I followed this to see how it ended and there were changes made to the system and these changes are doing a better job of catching people early to test them.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Duncan has died. So much for my supposition that Ebola is not particularly fatal with proper medical care.
The odds are against you surviving no matter what the care.
It's a level 4 biohazard.

The folks at Emery don't treat it nonchalantly because they have access to proper medical care do they ?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 AM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
My guess is the protective gear in Madrid was paper gowns, not hazmat.
I work in a medical setting that has an admissions area and there are sometimes walk-ins. We currently have a protocol of standard masks (not the spacesuit kind) at the admission area. An assistant is supposed to take the temperature and ask about travel and if it doesn't look good, the person is supposed to go to the one isolation room, where there are paper gowns and normal (short) gloves. Hardly adequate. Also, my place is psychiatric. My personal plan is, if a person needs to go to that isolation room, the door is getting locked if they show any signs of not staying in. Unfortunately, to enforce that someone goes in could be real hands-on restraint. A real bad idea.

I live in an area full of international students and people from all over. Of course, my co-workers are largely west African, mostly Nigerian, and are always coming and going from home visits. No one from the three highly affected countries.

Yes, I follow developments avidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies