Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:39 PM

15,469 posts, read 10,385,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
"Sue me? I only screwed up a little! And I was so nice to you!"
Perhaps they will just sue a little bit then. The physician should be fired and the hospital should pay some compensation and/or not bill. I don't think they should be taken to the cleaners. A lot of the Liberians on the NE side of town work for all the various health agencies in and around Presbyterian. They are well respected and vice versa. I just don't see any sense in blowing that all up. All the ZMapp is gone, the odds were stacked against the guy from the get go.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,912,763 times
If the risk [re: the deputy] is "low," and the deputy didn't touch Duncan, and the symptoms he's now reporting turn out to be Ebola symptoms, then what? Assume he merely touched the apt door handle?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM

20,395 posts, read 12,295,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You mean our WIDE open southern border?

no. I mean our idiotically undefended WIDE open southern boarder that our idiot president hung a welcome sign on.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:44 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,992,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If the risk [re: the deputy] is "low," and the deputy didn't touch Duncan, and the symptoms he's now reporting turn out to be Ebola symptoms, then what? Assume he merely touched the apt door handle?
THAT is what I am saying. Casual contact door handles water glasses, you know. If that proves to be a vector for transmission it will be important to monitor ones activities. We already have a high lethality virus. Add easy transmission and things are much much worse.

Deputy
Spanish Nurse
Duncans family and close contacts

Old 10-08-2014, 05:02 PM

16,860 posts, read 10,496,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

You deluding yourself if you think protocols don't exist to stop all passangers on commercial flights entering the US from a specific country
Exactly. It's amazing how many ebolists (my name for people who want ebola to spread) are saying it's impossible for the government to prevent. Back in the 90s the irs sent auditors to Meryl lynch to question employees about how much free soda they took from the kitchen so they could tax it. If they can micromanage soda in a kitchen they can restrict travel to and from ebola cesspools.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,347,192 times
The notion that health workers in Dallas should know that a patient has Ebola is proposterous. Before this case no one at my hospital or state was even talking about it. Now they have protocols in place. Americans are too spoiled. Health care workers are not gods. Just today my CFO a Wharton grad got Liberia and Nigeria confused. He has even worked in Africa how much more some admitting nurse. Mistakes, oversights happen. Maybe if he or his family was more forthcoming he would have been admitted but I refuse to blame the hospital.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,691,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
May have walked across spot where Duncan threw up. Even cleaned by girlfriend it would not be disinfected. I wonder about the kids in that apartment touching everything Duncan touched. Miracle if they do not come down with it...and I hope they do not. I am confident that the media is not telling the masses everything...

Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,368,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
You notice the 500lb gorilla in the room?

The two white guys that had Ebola and came to the US were treated and now recovering from Ebola. The black guy that came to the US with Ebola was treated and died.

What can we conclude from this?

1. That Ebola takes a heavier toll on blacks and blacks are susceptible to Ebola

2. The white men were treated better.

3. Hospital choice matters.
None of the above.

In case you didn't know, the man who died didn't get the antidote. They are out of the vaccine.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,368,723 times
We don't know if he's out of the woods yet.

If he does have it, the family claims he did NOT come into contact with any bodily fluids.

So if he does have it we should assume it's mutated into something airborne now.

Quote:
“We were told by federal officials, county officials that you would have to come in direct contact with Duncan or direct contact with bodily fluids, and he did not,” said Monnig’s son, Logan, about the possibility of his dad contracting Ebola. Logan said it’s a very scary time for his family, but they do not expect that his dad will test positive for the virus.
Ebola Scare Sends Dallas County Sheriff’s Deputy To Hospital

Why the full body hazmat suits? The face masks with air filters? Why the head to toe space suits?

When people aren't projectile vomiting? Why aren't gloves and face masks enough? People are covered head to toe with protection. The cleaning crew had oxygen tanks.

I remember the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, when things were unknown about how the virus was transmitted. All of that led to better safety protocols in our hospitals, rubber gloves etc. But even AIDS wasn't like this. HIV is transmitted the same way - bodily fluids.

Yet for Ebola? There's still so much unknown that they have to take every single safety precaution available.

And still it's not enough.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:42 PM

16,860 posts, read 10,496,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
We don't know if he's out of the woods yet.

If he does have it, the family claims he did NOT come into contact with any bodily fluids.

So if he does have it we should assume it's mutated into something airborne now.

Ebola Scare Sends Dallas County Sheriff’s Deputy To Hospital

Why the full body hazmat suits? The face masks with air filters? Why the head to toe space suits?

When people aren't projectile vomiting? Why aren't gloves and face masks enough? People are covered head to toe with protection. The cleaning crew had oxygen tanks.

I remember the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, when things were unknown about how the virus was transmitted. All of that led to better safety protocols in our hospitals, rubber gloves etc. But even AIDS wasn't like this. HIV is transmitted the same way - bodily fluids.

Yet for Ebola? There's still so much unknown that they have to take every single safety precaution available.

And still it's not enough.
That's one thing that really bothers me. People are acting like they know everything about Ebola Zaire and how it spreads. I don't think we know much at all. Until now the only place it was studied was very small outbreaks in rural Africa. We don't even know if animals can spread it to humans or which animals. Bats, maybe, in theory. Again we don't really know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies