Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yesterday, a man sneezed during flight and shouted" Ebola". Plane made an emergency landing. He was not sick.

There is increasing pressure on Obama to decline anyone traveling on commercial flights from Liberia via Morocco or Belgium from flying to the U.S.

WHO/ UN and CDC do not agree.

The potential for relatively unfounded global hysteria vs impeding people's right to international travel ......not a decision that the U.S. can make in a vacuum. One can connect to just about anywhere from Cassablanca and Brussels, including Canada.
That man learned the hard way that you can't joke on an airplane about sickness or bombs. They have protocol, and even the flight attendant knew the guy was joking but once he said Ebola procedures had to be followed.

The U.S. shouldn't have to make that decision in a vacuum. Common sense ought to say that the entire international community should be in agreement about travel restrictions. And apparently, all one has to do to get into any country is make it to Cassablanca and Brussels? No need for a passport or visa from the destination country? Why do we even have passports then, or DHS, or any security measures at all? I have a hard time believing people can just fly here from African nations without permission, no matter which country they fly to first.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:55 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That man learned the hard way that you can't joke on an airplane about sickness or bombs. They have protocol, and even the flight attendant knew the guy was joking but once he said Ebola procedures had to be followed.

The U.S. shouldn't have to make that decision in a vacuum. Common sense ought to say that the entire international community should be in agreement about travel restrictions. And apparently, all one has to do to get into any country is make it to Cassablanca and Brussels? No need for a passport or visa from the destination country? Why do we even have passports then, or DHS, or any security measures at all? I have a hard time believing people can just fly here from African nations without permission, no matter which country they fly to first.
wish I could give you more reps, but you know the deal

why the heck is this so hard to figure out....common sense dictates it, or should?

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Macedonia : a Brit died yesterday and was suspected of having Ebola despite not having traveled to Africa. Today, the reports are that Ebola is unlikely and the cause of death will more likely be attributed to alcohol poisoning, while on holiday.
Meh. I was recently hospitalized and kept in quarantine. I was suspected of having Ebola. Every doctor, intern, resident, student and nurse kept asking me "Are you SURE you haven't been to Africa lately?"
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd remember going to Africa.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
wish I could give you more reps, but you know the deal

why the heck is this so hard to figure out....common sense dictates it, or should?
Wait until we have a case in Washington, D.C., or we start getting several popping up in different cities around the country. Suddenly all these people will be demanding some travel restrictions, but by then it will be too late. It may already be too late.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Meh. I was recently hospitalized and kept in quarantine. I was suspected of having Ebola. Every doctor, intern, resident, student and nurse kept asking me "Are you SURE you haven't been to Africa lately?"
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd remember going to Africa.
Really?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Really?
Really.
I had nausea, vomiting and fever. It was either a viral gastroenteritis of unknown origin or poisoning with a toxic mushroom.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Default Ebola Conundrum

Let me get this straight...

Conservatives are petrified of Ebola becoming airborne (mutation), but don't believe evolution exists?

Got it!

Old 10-10-2014, 03:24 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Let me get this straight...

Conservatives are petrified of Ebola becoming airborne (mutation), but don't believe evolution exists?

Got it!
What do you bet that correlation goes right over their heads...

Old 10-10-2014, 03:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:

Are you perhaps limiting consideration to only Liberian Nationals?

There's a global community of healthcare, humanitarian, relief workers ( albeit nowhere near enough) and media there and they come from everywhere. Who is going in if there's no way out?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-10-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 03:36 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Are you perhaps limiting consideration to only Liberian Nationals?

There's a global community of healthcare, humanitarian, relief workers ( albeit nowhere near enough) and media there are they come from everywhere. Who is going in if there's no way out?
As usual it is the US (or American Christian volunteers) doing the dirty work, while the rest of the world holds the jackets. I understand, for example, that Canada is letting them run lab samples there for its contribution. We have turned the world into dependents who expect us to come and solve every problem for them like we have our own population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies