Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 PM

123 posts, read 245,990 times

Advertisements

I am getting more concerned about ebola!

I have decided to STOP eating at salad bars. AND I am no longer going to try on the lipstick samples at Sephora. Both of these activities can lead to the spread of Ebola!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 PM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
Because the truthers about global warming need a place to whine about global warming . Fundamentally they don't have a life....and have to inject their message into everything......
In a way they are pretty much like the bible thumper's that knock on your door trying to sell everyone their particular brand of Jesus....They both have the same become a true believer or burn in hell message.....

Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I've been RN for 25 years. I have never heard of a virus with this kind of lethality and so easily transmissable. We have two nurses now who have tested positive with minimal exposure, a "face touch" and "unknown". Add this ease of transmission combined with the lethality and you have a killer. For this reason many will just refuse and someone in the CDC is honest that will only increase. Now I understand what a level IV Biohazard means.
On the other hand, the man's girlfriend who lived in the same home, probably slept with him, cared for him when he took ill looks like she will not get Ebola. It's hard to figure. It apparently is much more contagious as it goes on in a person. So people with initial symptoms might be relatively non-contagious. That would limit its ability to infect large numbers of people providing those afflicted take prompt action to get to medical care.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
On the other hand, the man's girlfriend who lived in the same home, probably slept with him, cared for him when he took ill looks like she will not get Ebola. It's hard to figure. It apparently is much more contagious as it goes on in a person. So people with initial symptoms might be relatively non-contagious. That would limit its ability to infect large numbers of people providing those afflicted take prompt action to get to medical care.
21 days aren't up yet, who knows.
Also there's some evidence that a large number of west africans may have natural immunity to ebola, while westerners do not.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
21 days aren't up yet, who knows.
Also there's some evidence that a large number of west africans may have natural immunity to ebola, while westerners do not.
Some native Africans do show evidence of previous asymptomatic infection with Ebola. It will be interesting to see if a genetic basis for that can be found.

It is possible, since there are some with natural resistance to other infections. Some are even resistant to HIV. My DH has genetic resistance to Norovirus, discovered when he had DNA testing done with 23AndMe.

Such a gene may or may not be found just in African populations.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's such a fluid situation. Virus and Bacteria are amazingly clever. If you want to read something eye opening, read about the flu virus and how clever it is in morphing/mutating/how it changes to keep alive and in a relatively short time. I think that's what we are dealing with hear potentially and something that is deadly in 70-90% of people who get it. And with this thing all over the place, for us to know what it has morphed into, regardless of what the "experts" say, I think is impossible. I'm far from a paranoid person but I have a feeling those in the field who understand this stuff way better than I have a few sleepless nights on where this could all end up. I think if this thing fizzes out, it will be more dumb luck than anything.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:58 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
It's such a fluid situation. Virus and Bacteria are amazingly clever. If you want to read something eye opening, read about the flu virus and how clever it is in morphing/mutating/how it changes to keep alive and in a relatively short time. I think that's what we are dealing with hear potentially and something that is deadly in 70-90% of people who get it. And with this thing all over the place, for us to know what it has morphed into, regardless of what the "experts" say, I think is impossible. I'm far from a paranoid person but I have a feeling those in the field who understand this stuff way better than I have a few sleepless nights on where this could all end up. I think if this thing fizzes out, it will be more dumb luck than anything.
But they do know what this virus is like. They can sequence its entire genome --- all of its RNA. It only makes seven proteins.

ViralZone: Ebolavirus

Protein secrets of Ebola virus -- ScienceDaily

Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How then was it possible for Duncan to take 3 flights between Monrovia and Dallas 25 days ago and spend serious time in Belgium and Dulles on layover and not one of the people who he flew with or sat next to in multiple airports are sick?
The incubation period is between 2 and 21 days.

From contraction to death is less than one month.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Wait until it hits Asia.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But they do know what this virus is like. They can sequence its entire genome --- all of its RNA. It only makes seven proteins.

ViralZone: Ebolavirus

Protein secrets of Ebola virus -- ScienceDaily
I think you missed my point. Viruses are constantly morphing/changing to survive/become more efficient at surviving and transmitting to hosts. It's like trying to predict a flu shot for the seasons flu virus. This is what you're dealing with in the flu virus:

How a virus can morph into a killer - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News

"Influenza could become a pandemic threat because its genetic information is constantly shifting. The virus can change two ways — the common and subtle "antigenic drift" and the rare but drastic "antigenic shift." "

And since ebola is a virus, it can do similiar things. oh, don't read this before bed.:

Genetic evolution: how the Ebola virus changes and adapts

The more hosts(people!) this gets spread to, the more funky things can happen. This is why prevention is so key to all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies