Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Columbus. It is only a matter of days until ebola is in your town, your city.

Ohio hospital patient in testing after Africa trip
The patient tested negative for Ebola.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:14 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are no flights between the US and Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone. People going to/ coming from these nations are routed through Europe or Asia. So you are talking about banning almost all international flights.
You don't need to ban all international flights. You simply need every other country in the world to ban flights from west Africa and not accept travellers who have been there. Temporarily, until the epidemic slows down there. Simple. Easy. Problem solved.
But no. Apparently it's somehow preferable to spend money on silly 'monitoring' at airports (which worked oh so well in Sawyer's case) and testing new patients for ebola who have travelled to Africa every day and people like myself having to wonder every morning whether there could be a case in my state. I'm assuming it's because there's funding to be gained for those activities, that wouldn't be the case for a travel suspension. Money over health or anything else, that's how it goes here.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:18 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know - I'm just passing on a news story. But about 40 percent of Ebola patients do recover.
If surviving a disease that dissolves your internal organs and has them leave the body in liquid form is your idea of a good time, go for it.
Me, I'm more terrified of the disease itself than the fact that it's deadly. The idea of surviving this thing is not really any less scary than dying from it, quite honestly. I can think of many, many other ways I would prefer to die.
Those who recover can have serious life-long complications too.

ETA: Sorry, KathrynAragon, didn't notice it was your quote so didn't mean to sound quite so snarky, you are actually one of the rational voices on this on the forum

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
If surviving a disease that dissolves your internal organs and has them leave the body in liquid form is your idea of a good time, go for it.
Me, I'm more terrified of the disease itself than the fact that it's deadly. The idea of surviving this thing is not really any less scary than dying from it, quite honestly. I can think of many, many other ways I would prefer to die.
Those who recover can have serious life-long complications too.

ETA: Sorry, KathrynAragon, didn't notice it was your quote so didn't mean to sound quite so snarky, you are actually one of the rational voices on this on the forum
LOL no problem!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:

Maybe it's a matter of days until someone goes to the hospital to be tested?

Woman tests negative for Ebola in Ohio - NY Daily News

Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Just a thought every time someone yells the word Ebola, don't jump up and start yelling the sky is falling until you actually know it really is.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:

In your estimation, within 2 years from today, how many people in the US will have died from the impending Ebola outbreak?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Okay, I've been seeing a lot of freak out posts from people panicking about Ebola possibly getting loose in the US. Let's all just take a deep breath, calm down, and actually look at the facts. It's not your fault however, it's the mainstream media's.They're always spreading misinformation and trying to scare people, don't listen to them. They have agendas, they want ratings, and they don't really care how they get them. Also stop listening to doomsday conspiracy theorist nut-jobs (*cough* Alex Jones *cough*). This is why it's important to become a critical thinker and do your own research. Consider this a public service announcement.

Here are some facts about Ebola that you need to know:

-You cannot catch Ebola through the air, through water, or through food. The virus (yes it's a virus, not a disease, there's a big difference) is spread through human contact via bodily fluids (vomit, sweat, blood, urine, semen etc...). This puts people that work in hospitals at risk, HOWEVER people with Ebola are NOT infectious until the symptoms appear. Symptoms such as diarrhea, fevers etc...

-Ebola is not a death sentence. There are numerous cases of people surviving the virus. The reason why there are so many reported deaths contributed to Ebola is because the Ebola outbreak is in Western Africa, a poverty stricken and war-torn region part of the world that lacks quality healthcare. They lack the necessary resources to combat and treat the Ebola virus unlike Western Nations.

-Ebola has appeared in other Western countries before. This is due to people traveling to third world countries and bringing the virus back with them. However in every case the people who were infected were immediately found, treated, and contained.

-The Ebola virus will not become an epidemic here in the United States. We have too many resources available. In a worst case scenario it could infect a small group of people here about the size of a village, but even that is highly unlikely. So stop with these "The Walking Ebola" apocalypse scenarios.

Please learn the facts and share the facts. The biggest thing to fear are the uneducated people spewing nonsense and scaring the masses of other uneducated people into hysteria .

Q & A on Ebola | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

7 facts you should know about the Ebola outbreak - Vox

Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
The patient tested negative for Ebola.
How many others are out there who have not been tested?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
Quote:
Some of this information put out by the WHO as well as the CDC is actually contradictory. For instance, the CDC website states that only people who are symptomatic can pass along Ebola. But the Ebola virus stays alive in, for example, the semen of someone who survives Ebola (and there are quite a few survivors) for up to seven weeks after symptoms subside.

From the WHO website:

WHO | Ebola virus disease

WHO | Frequently asked questions on Ebola virus disease

The CDC site also says this:

Prevention | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

CNN reporter Sanjay Gupta states that at least 6 Americans have been tested for Ebola (so far all tests have been negative). The test can be read in one day - sometimes in just a few hours - but usually US tests are sent to the CDC and the results are not made available for 24-48 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiQgN3MyTeE
You didn't read my post or my links. None of it is contradictory, it's just people not understanding it or the media falsely misinforming people.

Ebola is NOT infectious UNTIL the symptoms appear. I'm not saying there's nothing to fear, I'm just saying that this whole thing is being blown out of proportion and people need to keep their heads on and remain collected.

CNN is probably the worst place to get your information about this from. Like I said before, the mainstream media has an agenda, they want hits, they don't care how they get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies