Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,065,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
I have a friend who's a surgeon at that hospital.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM

21,402 posts, read 10,480,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I think they could work in one of these . . .

95 Gallon Clear Liners for Rolling Trash Carts, 2.0 Mil, | PlasticPlace.com

Maybe, one over the head, and a second one to stand in, taped to the upper one.

A little clumsy to work from, but doable, especially in poor countries.

Or, they could be modified.

Would need to take a chlorine shower before removing, but, hey, that should be the overall protocol, anyway.
Don't be an ass.

If biologists in level 4 containment facilities can do research with tiny petri dishes full of this stuff in the level 4 suits, then why couldn't the healthcare workers? It's all one piece, so you walk into a decontamination room and wash off in a shower of whatever they're using to decontaminate, then you remove the tape and the suit. These multiple layers of gloves and aprons and plastic suits does not seem to work very well as they're so easy to breach.

Actually, I think the only people who should be working on our small caseload of Ebola cases and potential cases would be those in the four facilities set up to handle this type of thing. Hopefully it will never get so bad that those four hospitals are unable to deal with the infected. Private local hospitals have no business being forced to deal with these situations.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM

36,997 posts, read 41,030,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The CDC is utterly failing us. It has the blood of the thousands of Americans who have died from Ebola on its hands.
So far the only American I know of who died was Patrick Sawyer, who died in Nigeria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Not according to this:

Genetic evolution: how the Ebola virus changes and adapts

"Within the 99 genomes sequenced from this outbreak, researchers have recorded approximately 50 other changes to the virus as it spreads from person to person."

"As the virus replicates, it is expected that the virus genome will change. This natural change of virus genomes over time is why influenza virus vaccines must be updated annually and why HIV mutates to become resistant to antiretroviral drugs. Changes are also expected when a virus crosses from one species to another."
However, none of those changes affect the mode of transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Considering how many healthcare workers have come down with Ebola (and more than half of those infected have died), I think level 4 suits may actually be necessary, especially if around projectile vomiting and changing diapers of people with diarrhea.
The unit at Emory did not routinely use Level 4 suits. No one got infected.

Quote:
It has been done:

Ebola: Woman saves three relatives from death - CNN.com

"Her father. Her mother. Her sister. Her cousin. Fatu took care of them all, single-handedly feeding them, cleaning them and giving them medications.
And she did so with remarkable success. Three out of her four patients survived. That's a 25% death rate -- considerably better than the estimated Ebola death rate of 70%.
Fatu stayed healthy, which is noteworthy considering that more than 300 health care workers have become infected with Ebola, and she didn't even have personal protection equipment -- those white space suits and goggles used in Ebola treatment units.
Woman cares for her family with Ebola This team picks up Ebola's dead Ebola overwhelms new hospital in Liberia Desperation grows in heart of Ebola zone
Instead Fatu, who's in her final year of nursing school, invented her own equipment. International aid workers heard about Fatu's "trash bag method" and are now teaching it to other West Africans who can't get into hospitals and don't have protective gear of their own.
Every day, several times a day for about two weeks, Fatu put trash bags over her socks and tied them in a knot over her calves. Then she put on a pair of rubber boots and then another set of trash bags over the boots.
She wrapped her hair in a pair of stockings and over that a trash bag. Next she donned a raincoat and four pairs of gloves on each hand, followed by a mask."

Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
That's what passports are FOR.
My passports do not show stamps from half the countries I have travelled to.

There is no international law that requires a passport be stamped. Some people prefer their passports not be stamped. Some countries charge a fee if the traveler wants a stamp.

It's obvious that there is now some semblance of coordination with Monrovia and the 2 commercial carriers that continue to fly between Monrovia and Cassablanca or Brussels and connecting flights to the U.S.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,571,753 times
Duhhhhhhhhh

Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,825,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Don't be an ass.

If biologists in level 4 containment facilities can do research with tiny petri dishes full of this stuff in the level 4 suits, then why couldn't the healthcare workers? It's all one piece, so you walk into a decontamination room and wash off in a shower of whatever they're using to decontaminate, then you remove the tape and the suit. These multiple layers of gloves and aprons and plastic suits does not seem to work very well as they're so easy to breach.

Actually, I think the only people who should be working on our small caseload of Ebola cases and potential cases would be those in the four facilities set up to handle this type of thing. Hopefully it will never get so bad that those four hospitals are unable to deal with the infected. Private local hospitals have no business being forced to deal with these situations.
I can start working on a dry ice, carbon escape mechanism, to keep the workers cool.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:38 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,825,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My passports do not show stamps from half the countries I have travelled to.

There is no international law that requires a passport be stamped. Some people prefer their passports not be stamped. Some countries charge a fee if the traveler wants a stamp.

It's obvious that there is now some semblance of coordination with Monrovia and the 2 commercial carriers that continue to fly between Monrovia and Cassablanca or Brussels and connecting flights to the U.S.
I thought all passports had refried chips in them.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Maybe you Ebola apologists should read the letter with corrective lenses and get it right.

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/files/doc...FAA_Letter.pdf
Thanks for the link. Did you take note that I couched it with " assuming he did so"?

Question #5 is outrageous.

Might be better to direct it to the UN.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,799,101 times
Default Ebola must be airborne - Ebola Among Health Workers: More Than 240 Sick, More Than 120 Dead

How else do you explain this?

"Even more measures were taken to keep doctors and nurses from getting the disease, but now just a couple of weeks later we have learned that a total of 240 health workers have contracted the virus and more than 120 of them have died."

Ebola Among Health Workers: More Than 240 Sick, More Than 120 Dead

Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM

21,402 posts, read 10,480,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Dear Senator Cruz:

We are deeply touched by your concern regarding the terrible outbreak of Ebola in West Africa. We, like you, are very anxious to keep Ebola off all flights to and from the United States. We are currently following all protocols and recommended procedures as provided us by the CDC, the foremost expert on disease control in the United States, and the organization you should be addressing your questions to.

Sincerely,

the Federal Aviation Administration
What the hell's the matter with you people? I like the post above that called you "Ebola apologists." I read Cruz's letter and it was full of common sense questions that were perfectly acceptable for a senator from a state that has had handled two Ebola cases to ask.

Why are you guys so willing to accept everything the CDC says? Obviously the CDC has already said they will not restrict travel (something I and millions of people strongly disagree with), so why not address it to the FAA? In fact, I hope lots of people are sending letters and emails to their representatives, senators, president, CDC Director, and the FAA Director. These people need to get a clue, and so do you who have obviously given up all common sense and blindly accept what the government tells you, even though they've been wrong so many times.

Please start thinking critically. These people are not handling this well, and it appears they're learning this as they go. Considering the extremely short time we have from infection to recovery or death, and the extremely high percentage of death, I think it behooves us to question our government when they're making mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies