Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
It would probably be better to use blood from survivors who weren't helped with ZMapp, though.
Was this surviving doctor given ZMapp? If so, I guess the antibodies used to make ZMapp would become part of his own arsenal, correct?

I'm not a scientist--I'm guessing.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:40 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Was this surviving doctor given ZMapp? If so, I guess the antibodies used to make ZMapp would become part of his own arsenal, correct?

Yes, he was.

No way to tell at this time.

Could be combinative.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, he was.

No way to tell at this time.

Could be combinative.
I would like to see some of the "unhelped" survivors interviewed and researched.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:54 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
"In a Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted in recent days, the number of Americans who say the government should be doing more to prevent additional Ebola cases in the United States is almost twice the number who believe the United States is doing all it can to control the spread of the virus.

That includes overwhelming support — 91 percent — in favor of stricter screening for people traveling to this country from West Africa. Such screening began this past weekend at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and soon will begin at four other international airports in the country."

Ebola poll: Two-thirds of Americans worried about possible widespread epidemic in U.S. - The Washington Post

Old 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Default Countries that use biometric chips in passports

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Biometric chips have been implanted in all US issued passports since 2007. Those issued prior to 2007 remain valid for ten years.

One of the intents of this long term international initiative is to trend towards visa less travel between participating countries. The global community has a long, long way to go to be in a position to have the technology and agreements in place to read, record and track international travel. It's also a privacy issue.
This is a map showing what countries currently use Biometric chips in their passports (dark green).
Bright green are the countries that plan to use them in the future.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Let me get this straight. A US 4 star General heard second hand from someone who works at some US embassy that he came across 2 men attempting to cross by foot from Costa Rica into Nicaragua. When asked where they came from and were headed, they replied Liberia enroute to the U.S.

Guess this embassy worker and general never heard of Liberia, Costa Rica.
And I would assume that most people (I could be wrong) could tell the difference between a Spanish accent and an African accent. Maybe not.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I would like to see some of the "unhelped" survivors interviewed and researched.
They could make a fortune if they live in Guinea, and organized for a price setting.

Guinea Digs.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Patient presenting symptoms at Mr. Sinai hospital in New York City.

New York City Hospital Treating Potential Ebola Patient - ABC News

It didn't take long did it?
These are early days in what will be a world altering event. People are already comparing this to aids, as if it is similar, and THAT IS DANGEROUS!

This strain of Ebola makes aids look like the common cold. Obviously, it is highly contagious if a nurse can contract it by a possible breech of her suit.

I pray they are right this thing hasn't become an air born contagion.

The people who are politicizing Ebola need to check their partisanship at the door, and re-engage their brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

That is what the doctors are hoping for. At this point, they're throwing everything against a wall and hoping something sticks. It's simply too early to know what will and won't work, if anything at all. This is a result of BIG PHARMA completely ignoring Ebola for 40 years... because there was no monetary incentive to pursue it. Now they are woefully behind the curve - whether accidentally or intentionally is the question.

Lives are never included in the bottom line, only in ads after the fact.

Last edited by steven_h; 10-14-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 02:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

The people who are politicizing Ebola need to check their partisanship at the door, and re-engage their brains.
The irony is breathtaking.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The director of the National Institutes of Health says an Ebola vaccine would be ready by now if it were not for cuts to the NIH budget.

"NIH has been working on Ebola vaccines since 2001. It's not like we suddenly woke up and thought, 'Oh my gosh, we should have something ready here,' " Dr. Francis Collins told The Huffington Post in an article published Sunday. "Frankly, if we had not gone through our 10-year slide in research support, we probably would have had a vaccine in time for this that would've gone through clinical trials and would have been ready."

NIH director: Budget cuts delayed Ebola vaccine development | TheHill

I bet lots of people here still think massive cuts in spending instead of raising revenue is a great idea...
We've added $7 trillion in new fiscal debt, and you act as if there have been massive cuts in federal government spending. Why not ask where that $7 trillion has been going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies