Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The people in Austin ain't too happy that they sent his samples there to be tested.
Austin does not have a level 4 lab and they handled ebola.
I don't see why they wouldn't be sent the BSL 4 lab at galveston national laboratory.

UTMB experts battle Ebola | October 1, 2014 | The Newsroom | UTMB Health

Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Call Galveston.

"Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston"-Glenn Campbell

"The Texas Biomedical Research Institute is the only institution in the country to house both a BSL-4 lab and a national primate research center. This combination of expertise and unique resources has given Texas Biomed a key role in a new Research Center of Excellence for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases. Headed by The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, the RCE in Region VI brings together 16 collaborating institutions in five states, all working together to find treatments, cures and improved diagnostics for our country's newest health threats."

https://txbiomed.org/about/extraordi...l-4-laboratory

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...id=S567513UnBn
oops. I see you 'already been there, done that'

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM

The New York Times said that Duncan, in his mid-40s, helped transport a pregnant woman suffering from Ebola to a hospital in Liberia, where she was turned away for lack of space. Duncan helped bring the woman back to her family's home and carried her into the house, where she later died, the newspaper reported. Four days later Duncan left for the United States, the Times said, citing the woman's parents and neighbors.
Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital

Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
They sent his blood to Austin to get tested. Austin does not have a level 4 lab.
I wonder if those workers in Austin are on 21 day watches as well.
I know what you're getting at, but I dare not say.

"Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies
And ev'ryone goes, 'cause everyone knows . . "-NEIL DIAMOND

Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
The New York Times said that Duncan, in his mid-40s, helped transport a pregnant woman suffering from Ebola to a hospital in Liberia, where she was turned away for lack of space. Duncan helped bring the woman back to her family's home and carried her into the house, where she later died, the newspaper reported. Four days later Duncan left for the United States, the Times said, citing the woman's parents and neighbors.
Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
I am not trying to be prejudiced here, but it would appear to me that there is a lack of due concern on the part of some of the people involved in the outbreak. Either they are unaware of how the disease spreads, or they simply aren't concerned.

Someone offered a conspiracy theory that he was sent home on 9/26 because he didn't have insurance. Texas has the highest rate of uninsured in the country. I don't think I believe this one; I'm more inclined to believe it was incompetence on the part of the hospital staff.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I am not trying to be prejudiced here, but it would appear to me that there is a lack of due concern on the part of some of the people involved in the outbreak. Either they are unaware of how the disease spreads, or they simply aren't concerned.

Someone offered a conspiracy theory that he was sent home on 9/26 because he didn't have insurance. Texas has the highest rate of uninsured in the country. I don't think I believe this one; I'm more inclined to believe it was incompetence on the part of the hospital staff.

Talking heads don't want a panic and that's why they seem nonchalant over this comparing it to a flu pandemic.
Parents are pulling their kids out of those 4 schools and are labeled as panicking.
And it seems even many of the parents are not educated on this as one parent said they were going to keep their kid home "for the rest of the week". Duh..today is Thursday so that's 2 days out and that will placate them ?

Wait 21 days and see if there is victim #2 or #3 or #4 and then you will see outright panic.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
When this explodes in the U.S., it should be renamed the "Obola pandemic".

Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Talking heads don't want a panic and that's why they seem nonchalant over this comparing it to a flu pandemic.
Parents are pulling their kids out of those 4 schools and are labeled as panicking.
And it seems even many of the parents are not educated on this as one parent said they were going to keep their kid home "for the rest of the week". Duh..today is Thursday so that's 2 days out and that will placate them ?

Wait 21 days and see if there is victim #2 or #3 or #4 and then you will see outright panic.
I'm talking about Africans. You read the stories about healthcare workers being attacked. I'm just wondering if maybe some of them consider this simply a fact of life. This guy either didn't know he would be infected, or he didn't care.

Then he gets on a plane and flies to Dallas. Then (surprise, surprise) he gets sick. Goes to the hospital and then gets sent home. If it were me, I would say to the hospital staff, "No, you idiots, I carted around Ebola victims in Africa last week. I probably have Ebola. I'm not going anywhere."

But that is not what happened, and I suspect there may be a cultural reason why.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:25 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
I thought the government had this under control, that they could keep from spreading?

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/arti...me-5795509.php

Quote:

The number of people who are now part of the contact investigation has
grown to more than 80," she said.

Neroes
was unable to specify how those initial 12 to 18 people came in contact with the
larger group, nor could she provide specifics about the ages of those being
monitored

Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post

You have your head in the sand on that. This is a failing of the US for profit health care system. The man's nephew is out today saying that HE had to call CDC to get some help for his uncle as no one would take care of him even though they knew of his exposure history. If providers were more concerned about public health than their bottom line the guy would have been admitted and isolated as a precautionary measure and his nephew would not have had to call the CDC to get someone to take this seriously.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...ll-cdc-n216326
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies