Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lots of people envisioned Utopia when Obamacare passed.

Now finding out there is no such thing.
Ain't this the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Of course he was, because you know better than a trusted MD just because you are a koolaid drinker. Aetna is one of the best providers, and doctors still take it without question. I wont take the time to explain what my doctor told me as to way he was dropping Aetna along with others, but it has to do with new averages based on Obamacare private insurance companies can pay via the exchanges. I am certainly going to believe him before some partisan internet hack who is trying to explain through the fence of a reeducation camp why this is best for us.
Aetna desirability for docs must be regional. In AZ it's meh, same as it ever was. As a doc I would have no idea if my patients new or old have exchange policies, unless for some reason they tell me. I service mainly a conservative population, and some come in apologizing for their Obamacare policy. I see no to little difference, and it just has not been an issue.

Far and away more docs have been dropped from plans and then more patient inconvenience has been created by the privates on the exchanges through their limiting of docs on their approved panels. Not from docs declining the plans.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM

89,015 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Indeed they were and will continue to do so. Only difference is that now some blame it on Obamacare.
Why wouldn't they? Obama, et al, allowed the insurance industry to draft the bill:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Let's remind everyone exactly who has voted AGAINST the House and Senate health care bills (R's), and who really runs Obama's government:

"If President Obama is going to succeed in passing health-care reform legislation this year, he’ll need to go through Ignagni. As president of America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), Ignagni is the voice for the companies that offer health, dental, disability and long-term care coverage to millions of Americans. She’ll play a key role in negotiating any legislation that changes the way those companies do business."
https://web.archive.org/web/20090327231342/http://www.whorunsgov.com/Profiles/Karen_Ignagni
Why did the Dems pass a bill that benefits insurance companies and big pharma at taxpayers' expense, while the Republicans consistently voted against it?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
My doctor doesn't take them.
Maybe your doctor paid attention to the AMA warning that providers might be stuck with non-payment of huge bills because of an Ocare provision giving a premium payment grace period to subsidized exchange plan enrollees:

"But if the patient does not pay his or her health insurance premiums in full before the end of the grace period, the health insurer will not extend coverage for the second or third months of the grace period and will deny claims for services provided during that time. In this case, a patient is then responsible for paying the entire bill for services rendered during the second and third months."

It is also vital that your practice proactively take steps to minimize any potential non-payments from health insurers that are due to cancellation of coverage at the end of the grace period."

Affordable Care Act "grace period"

Who knows how many providers decided the heck with it for that or other reasons and flat out decline exchange enrollees.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why wouldn't they? Obama, et al, allowed the insurance industry to draft the bill.

Why did the Dems pass a bill that benefits insurance companies and big pharma at taxpayers' expense, while the Republicans consistently voted against it?
Exactly. The system we had prior to obamacare was bad but this legislation only made it worse.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:06 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Indeed they were and will continue to do so. Only difference is that now some blame it on Obamacare.

Employers who offer healthcare insurance to their employees also change insurers with some frequency.
My former long time employer did so annually. This required the annual shuffle of medical records between MDs because the current plan PPO had different medical participants than the former PPO. This was ten years before the ACA.
Perhaps, but the problem is that people not eligible for medicaid have 2 options for coverage: be covered under an employer or go on an exchange plan. We're under an exchange plan (w no subsidies) and despite being with the same company from which we were covered privately, previously, my choice of drs has imploded. The reimbursements are just too low. This isn't about drs wanting to get rich, it's about drs being paid so little it's not worth it to see patients. So what you're left with are the kind of drs who accept medicaid and hope to make up for the low reimbursements with volume. Unless employer based insurance eventually disappears (which it might, more employers are doing things like offering medical savings accounts to purchase exchange plans) we are going to end up with a deeply stratified medical system where people insured through large employers have access to superior drs and hospitals than those covered via the exchanges.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
What was happening before the ACA and now after is that insurance companies aren't paying a lot. It isn't really about Obamacare except that the insurance companies can only now charge so much and must cover so much that they are doing things like limiting physician networks (to the lower tier physician groups) in some areas, or not contracting with those who keep wanting more and more money. Again, it's NOT new, it was happening before and that why reform was needed. We didn't actually get reform, what we got was someone people now get help paying the premiums.Some companies did leave certain markets too, because they couldn't charge what they wanted.

I've had Dr's moving in and out of groups, plans, etc. since the 80's. I've had to switch Dr's a few times and our employee policy changed a few times. It's par for the course.

It's true that some physicians are pulling out of medical groups and becoming independent, or only contracting with insurance higher end insurance plans that aren't always available to the public because they are GROUP policies written exclusively for employers. I have such a plan and when I shop on the open market that company doesn't even offer insurance in my state. THAT is the two-tier system we have now. Private (including "obamacare") vs corporate. That was there before the ACA as well, I could NEVER buy the plan I have now on my own because it was never offered to individuals.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
It is beginning. More and more doctors will be refusing to see Obamacare patients because of Obamacare's low payments to them for medical services.

Doctors Begin To Refuse Obamacare Patients | The Daily Caller
More and more? How many more? Based on what data? Are you doing that thing that people do here where you whine with no data to back up your position?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
More and more? How many more? Based on what data? Are you doing that thing that people do here where you whine with no data to back up your position?
Try googling the info for yourself.

Medicare, medicaid and exchange plans are being dropped by doctors because of the low reimbursement rates.

Obamacare never addressed the increasing costs of health CARE.
Lowering the reimbursement costs to doctors is not the answer.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:15 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truestar View Post
I know better because I don't rely on anecdotes from "trusted MDs" to make my opinion.
Your MD simply dropped Aetna and quoted ACA as an excuse while ACA has nothing to do with that: it's still a private insurer.
The AMA warned doctors they run a big risk of non-payment when treating subsidized exchange patients. Patients themselves report rejection for being in exchange plans. NPR and Kaiser Health News report on doctors refusing exchange members. On and on. But noooooo, they're all wrong, and for some reason you know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies