Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually that is only in the case of where a small car is involved in an accident with a large care or truck. But on the original claim; I saw an Austin Mini get into a head on with a midsized SUV Ford, guess which won and was still drivable and which driver was fine, you guessed it the driver driving the better built car, the Mini. The devil is in the details.
It's not just SUVs and it's when a small eco-car is hit by a semi-truck, buss, wall, tree, train, tractor, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I've had a couple family members killed in car accidents. My aunt who was driving a 62 Falcon (pre-CAFE) and a nephew driving a Toyota (post CAFE). If all vehicles are lighter, then E=MC2 comes into play. Two light vehicles impacting expel far less energy than two heavy vehicles.

You can't argue with the data. Since 1969 highway deaths are falling. Lighter, better built cars with safety technologies combined with public awareness of driving under the influence, has made the roads far safer.
You are skewing the facts here. How safe would cars be if safety was paramount, and gas mileage was not forcing unwanted changes to the car materials, design and construction?

The point that cars have become safer, more stable under high speed, better breaking, more maneuverable, better construction. However, at the same time we've had mandatory CAFE standards reducing their safety by making them lighter and using inferior materials.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You are skewing the facts here. How safe would cars be if safety was paramount, and gas mileage was not forcing unwanted changes to the car materials, design and construction?

The point that cars have become safer, more stable under high speed, better breaking, more maneuverable, better construction. However, at the same time we've had mandatory CAFE standards reducing their safety by making them lighter and using inferior materials.
That's a specious argument. As evidenced by the fact that there are very heavy cars in production, and yet they're not using the weight for extra safety features. The Hummer H2 was all the rage not that long ago, and it weighed in at 6600 pounds. Yet the list of safety features is embarrassing as compared to, say, a comparably priced (and lighter!) Mercedes sedan of the same era.

And it is, of course, much easier to make a car brake and handle well if it's not overly heavy. I have no idea where the "inferior materials" argument came in. Making a light car that can still protect its occupants calls for better materials. Higher grade steel, more advanced welding.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Funny little thing. The highest total number of motor vehicle deaths occurred in 1972, during the Nixon years. The next ten deadliest years(by total numbers) in terms of motor vehicles: 1973, 1969, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1979, 1980, 1966, 1967, 1978.

Sounds like 1966-1980 in general was quite bad for motor vehicle deaths.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
It's not just SUVs and it's when a small eco-car is hit by a semi-truck, buss, wall, tree, train, tractor, etc...
It still does better than when a car from years ago does the same. I love old cars, I own a 1956 Pontiac but cars today regardless of size are safer than ever.

I drive a "eco" car. It's right at the top of the green lists. A VW TDI Jetta Wagon. I'd rather be in it in an accident than any car, large or small from 40 years ago.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:

Lighter does not necessarily equate to inferior. Older cars were thicker, heavier steel. It didn't give. In an accident something has to give. If not the car, it's going to be you.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM

195 posts, read 153,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
More people drive trucks.

I will not let my wife or daughter drive a sit low to the ground car.

My truck T-boning a car in the drivers door, my bumper is even with the drivers head.
I couldn't imagine T-boning one of those little fiats or a smart car. That would be carnage.

You're a good man.

My husband is the same way. I drive a F-250. He has the dually.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It should be blamed on the hack, not as "a conservative myth."

I hate to break it to you, but most people have different opinions and beliefs. To frame anything so obviously non-partisan as being some kind of political ideology is insane.

It's like saying "conservatives want more car deaths"

What is an acceptable level of extreme wackoism? At some point both sides have to jump off the partisan merry go round and call out BS for what it is; most importantly from their own party.
The OP cited the Carter years as the cause of all this alleged carnage.

IMO, once you throw mud over the fence you'd be pretty damn silly not to expect it be thrown right back at ya.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Dang! I didn't realize this, but it does explain why more and more of my vehicles seem to have some get up and go compared to the older ones.
The automobile manufacturers have done some really amazing things to improve overall performance and safety. I saw a brand new Corvette with a 6.2L engine getting 29 mpg highway.

I don't even think there is a car made that does not have an electronic control module that continuously adjusts the fuel to air ration, and ABS and cruise control are just about standard on everything. Living in the northern part of the country I won't even buy a vehicle now unless, at a minimum, it has AWD and traction control.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The OP cited the Carter years as the cause of all this alleged carnage.

IMO, once you throw mud over the fence you'd be pretty damn silly not to expect it be thrown right back at ya.
Typical.

It was in 1978, during the Carter presidency, that CAFE standards first went into effect to regulate fuel standards on cars, and then in 1979 they went in effect to regulate light trucks. You may not like the truth, but there it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies