Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"They felt compelled to speak out because several Republican members of the committee are believed to have written a dissenting section of the report that contends that torture helped save American lives."

while NEVER serving in the military. (although Dick Cheney did guard the deferment office religiously)

Benedict Arnold was more loyal to the USA than those traitors.

McCain forgets, he is NOT talking to sane people.

Benedict Arnold was loyal to no one but himself and as such is the true father of today's America.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
So we should play by the rules in spite of the fact that our enemies don't? I'm not sure I can buy into that. I say give it as good as you get it. If an enemy is willing to behead civilians or drag soldiers bodies through the streets, I fail to see how water boarding and stress positions are so bad.
One of us is supposed to stand for good and justice and the other is under no such obligations, either we are better than them or we are just like them. Never been water boarded have you, if it is not so bad then you would not mind if some one did it to your wife, girlfriend, mother or child, after all it would only be a little uncomfortable. Those that have made the claim and actually tried it never said it again. Just you know people have died while being water boarded something most that support it avoid discussing, it puts the body under great stress and sometimes the human body simply cannot take any more.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Ah the old our enemies do it, so it's ok argument. You're really setting a high bar there aren't you? You're a pretty sick person when it has to be explained to you why making another human being suffer is wrong.
If our enemies do it, then why does it matter if we do it? Are you suggesting that America has some sort of moral superiority in the world?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Article 3, Geneva convention bars torture.
In HAMDAN v. RUMSFELD the SCOTUS ruled that the US did have to abide by international treaties such as the Geneva convention.
Are you suggesting that America has some sort of moral superiority in the world? If so, how did you derive this conclusion? Why are we better than anyone else? Why are we worse than anyone else?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
You know for party so that loves to talk about protecting Christian values, it's hard to take that seriously when you have to explain why torture is wrong.
What torture?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Are you suggesting that America has some sort of moral superiority in the world? If so, how did you derive this conclusion? Why are we better than anyone else? Why are we worse than anyone else?
I think many would suggest that our enemies shouldn't be the good guys, or the guys that are as bad as us. We should be the good guys, and how we act can determine that.

Torture is almost universally recognized as being a "bad guy" thing.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Ah the old our enemies do it, so it's ok argument. You're really setting a high bar there aren't you? You're a pretty sick person when it has to be explained to you why making another human being suffer is wrong.
When only one side has to play by an arbitrary set of rules, they will loose every time.

For instance, you and I sit down for a friendly game of. Tic-Tac-Toe.

The arbitrary rules state that you are limited to making only "X" marks and can only make a maximum of two marks per game.

I on the other hand, am not bound by these rules.
I can make as many "X" or "O" marks as I like.

Who do you think is going to win?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
Sure, water boarding sucks but it's a lot more effective than saying "pretty please" when it comes time to get information. It's not near as bad as some other forms of torture.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:09 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why is torture wrong?
That would make a marvelous discussion in the philosophy forum, but for now I'll go with "universally condemned in civilized societies".

Quote:
Do you think our enemies care that torture is considered "wrong?" Of course not.
We should probably strive to be better than our enemies. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
When only one side has to play by an arbitrary set of rules, they will loose every time.

For instance, you and I sit down for a friendly game of. Tic-Tac-Toe.

The arbitrary rules state that you are limited to making only "X" marks and can only make a maximum of two marks per game.

I on the other hand, am not bound by these rules.
I can make as many "X" or "O" marks as I like.

Who do you think is going to win?
Please. The people we fight aren't exactly capable of winning. Your analogy is horrifically flawed.

We're talking about torture, not tic tac toe. Does torture work? Theres a large body of evidence that suggests it gets mixed results. And thats the direct results. The indirect include-horrifying our allies and losing their support, and making it more likely our soldiers will be tortured. Additionally its harms our countrys morals. It justifies the end no matter the means. it makes us the monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies