Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

[quote=AeroGuyDC;35959573]What do we gain from doing "better" than our enemies? quote]

alliances and trade with the developed 1st world nations that matter. While these enemies prefer killing themselves, their lives are so pathetic.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I wonder if McCain goes home at night and considers becoming a independent. Hes a old school Republican, and when not following the party line and speaking from his personal beliefs he has impressed me a lot.
He and Lieberman should have run in 2008 on a 3rd party ticket. They would not have won, but they would have beat Perot's 1992 vote total and gotten Electoral votes, truly shaking up the 2 party system..for good.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:38 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Article 3, Geneva convention bars torture.
In HAMDAN v. RUMSFELD the SCOTUS ruled that the US did have to abide by international treaties such as the Geneva convention.
And when was the last time one of our enemies ALSO abided by the Geneva Convention?

Japan, Germany Viet Nam, North Korea, Al Qaeda, the Taliban?

If you want to find out what torture REALLY is, read up on what these people did.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
You know for party so that loves to talk about protecting Christian values, it's hard to take that seriously when you have to explain why torture is wrong.
you know, for a party that loves to talk about being the "party of black people," it's hard to take them seriously when they vote for bills that treat blacks like they don't know how to function in society.

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Water boarding. .
Maybe you also want to read this article, it is an interesting read

"Here's why waterboarding is not torture:

Do you know the U.S. military waterboards hundreds of our own soldiers every year? It is part of the conditioning Special Forces troops undergo to prepare for battle and the possibility of capture by the enemy. In other words, it's OK for us to do this to America's best and brightest, but it's too horrible for our worst enemies? Does this make sense to anyone?

Many Americans are simply confused about the real definition of torture. Because so little sacrifice is required of most Americans today and because so few have experienced combat, they equate momentary discomfort or fear with torture. They are not the same.

My definition of torture is simple: It involves physical or mental abuse that leaves lasting scars. Cutting off fingers, toes, limbs — that would be torture. Forcing prisoners to play Russian roulette — that would be torture. Sticking hot pokers in the eyes of prisoners — that would be torture.

But a few seconds of dripping water on a prisoner's face? That's not torture to me."

Waterboarding Is Not Torture by Joseph Farah on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And when was the last time one of our enemies ALSO abided by the Geneva Convention?

No one above was victorius! Being barbaric sure helped them-NOT!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No one above was victorius! Being barbaric sure helped them-NOT!
I wonder if the Use of Dogs to Scare Prisoners is really barbaric.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My definition of torture is simple: It involves physical or mental abuse that leaves lasting scars. Cutting off fingers, toes, limbs — that would be torture. Forcing prisoners to play Russian roulette — that would be torture. Sticking hot pokers in the eyes of prisoners — that would be torture.

But a few seconds of dripping water on a prisoner's face? That's not torture to me.
An electrode up the vagina doesn't leave lasting scars. I'd still call it torture.

Then again, that's Joseph Farah's opinion, and if I ever found myself agreeing with the Chief Carnival Barker of the Birther movement, I'd be seriously worried.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

If you want to find out what torture REALLY is, read up on what these people did.
You may want to read up on how the Luftwaffe actually got tons of solid intel out of downed Allied airmen during WWII. Google "Hanns Scharff".

Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
An electrode up the vagina doesn't leave lasting scars. I'd still call it torture.

Then again, that's Joseph Farah's opinion, and if I ever found myself agreeing with the Chief Carnival Barker of the Birther movement, I'd be seriously worried.
Do you call water boarding torture though? Do you call using the dogs to scare the prisoners torture also?

Nobody is talking about an electrode up the vagina or up the ass. Do U.S. do that to the prisoners? sheesh

My brother went through SERE training (He was NOT a SEAL, he was a force recon Marine) If he can go through all those ****, that doesn't make any sense that these detainees cannot tolerate water boarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies