Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,776,594 times

Advertisements

SOURCE

"In the past, people never thought that human activity could have such a big impact, but it can," said Christian Klose, a geohazards researcher at Columbia’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

It turns out, actually, that the human production of earthquakes is hardly supervillain-worthy. It’s downright commonplace: Klose estimates that 25 percent of Britain’s recorded seismic events were caused by people.

Most of these human-caused quakes are tiny, registering less than four on geologist’s seismic scales. These window-rattlers don’t occur along natural faults, and wouldn’t have happened without human activity — like mining tons of coal or potash. They occur when a mine’s roof collapses, for example, as in the Crandall Canyon collapse in Utah that killed a half-dozen miners last year.

But some human actions can trigger much larger quakes along natural fault lines.

Here are the five things that result in human caused earthquakes, according to the article:

1. Build a Dam
2. Inject Liquid Into the Ground
3. Mine a Lot of Coal
4. Drill a Gusher Dry
5.Create the World’s Biggest Building

Number 5 should be self evident, considering all the quakes in Manhattan what with the WTC and the WFC buildings at the southern end.

As for the rest, well, I guess we need to drain all reservoirs, cease mining coal and drilling for oil, fracking, and otherwise get ourselves back to the stone age, to a time when there no quakes at all.

Wonder what solutions the liberal left will suggest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM

68,299 posts, read 54,193,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
SOURCE

"In the past, people never thought that human activity could have such a big impact, but it can," said Christian Klose, a geohazards researcher at Columbia’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

It turns out, actually, that the human production of earthquakes is hardly supervillain-worthy. It’s downright commonplace: Klose estimates that 25 percent of Britain’s recorded seismic events were caused by people.

Most of these human-caused quakes are tiny, registering less than four on geologist’s seismic scales. These window-rattlers don’t occur along natural faults, and wouldn’t have happened without human activity — like mining tons of coal or potash. They occur when a mine’s roof collapses, for example, as in the Crandall Canyon collapse in Utah that killed a half-dozen miners last year.

But some human actions can trigger much larger quakes along natural fault lines.

Here are the five things that result in human caused earthquakes, according to the article:

1. Build a Dam
3. Mine a Lot of Coal
4. Drill a Gusher Dry

Number 5 should be self evident, considering all the quakes in Manhattan what with the WTC and the WFC buildings at the southern end.

As for the rest, well, I guess we need to drain all reservoirs, cease mining coal and drilling for oil, fracking, and otherwise get ourselves back to the stone age, to a time when there no quakes at all.

That conservatives stop their foolishness?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
I've argued in many threads against AGW but I'm still on the fence as to a link between earthquakes and things like fracking. Seems to me the science is still open there.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,387,446 times
It helps to know what causes an Earthquake....

Earthquakes are tectonic plate movements caused by stress build up. It is common sense that drilling into the Earth's crust could cause unintentional stresses, no?

Next thread... combustion is a "liberal" consipracy as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,896,085 times
Quote:
SOURCE

1. Build a Dam
3. Mine a Lot of Coal
4. Drill a Gusher Dry

When it comes to drilling near high density population areas, use methods that do not result in earthquakes or wait until you have the technology or knowledge to do it correctly.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM

78,011 posts, read 60,193,878 times
What's funny is that a number of years ago there was a bible thumper group making pretty much the same claims....drilling oil out of the middle east....earths crust collapse...apocalypse type stuff.

There has been so much dishonesty surrounding the effects of fracking that it's hard to take any of these claims at face value.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 PM

78,011 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It helps to know what causes an Earthquake....

Earthquakes are tectonic plate movements caused by stress build up. It is common sense that drilling into the Earth's crust could cause unintentional stresses, no?

Next thread... combustion is a "liberal" consipracy as well.
Yeah but it's also a "scale" thing. Meaning you have a tectonic plate the size of Texas......just how much drilling would be required to have a noticeable impact.

Just like there has always been minor earthquakes and gas leaks to the surface and even crude oil bubble up to the surface etc......no all attempts are being made to link these thinks to coal mining, fracking or anything else related coincidentally to everything envrionmentalists oppose.

I'm not sold on it either way but I know when someone is trying to scapegoat something with flimsy evidence.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,949,040 times
Quote:
SOURCE

1. Build a Dam
3. Mine a Lot of Coal
4. Drill a Gusher Dry

Has geology been added to the list of things that are enemies of conservative Republicans and therefor freedom and America?

1. Be certain to engineer dams to withstand the stresses from the water and possible seismic activity. Nuclear and associated hydro plants in the US started doing this seriously after Fukushima.
2. Consider not injecting waste water and hydraulic fracking fluid into the ground. Recent minor tremors in Ohio and PA have been attributed to this activity.
3. Looks like that one's taking care of itself ala "the war on coal" tm
4. Displacing volume underground will cause movement. See coal mining above.
5. The weight on some soil types could cause heaving. It would take a building bigger than most anything we've built thus far, but it's possible in certain unsuitable soils. The highrises of NYC are sitting on two domes massive bedrock domes. One in lower Manhattan and the other starting in Mid-Town.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,387,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Has geology been added to the list of things that are enemies of conservative Republicans and therefor freedom and America?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
1. Be certain to engineer dams to withstand the stresses from the water and possible seismic activity. Nuclear and associated hydro plants in the US started doing this seriously after Fukushima.
2. Consider not injecting waste water and hydraulic fracking fluid into the ground. Recent minor tremors in Ohio and PA have been attributed to this activity.
3. Looks like that one's taking care of itself ala "the war on coal" tm
4. Displacing volume underground will cause movement. See coal mining above.
5. The weight on some soil types could cause heaving. It would take a building bigger than most anything we've built thus far, but it's possible in certain unsuitable soils. The highrises of NYC are sitting on two domes massive bedrock domes. One in lower Manhattan and the other starting in Mid-Town.
Sums it up quite nicely.

Bottom line, anything that limits ("pro-business") conservatives from doing whatever the hell they want is a "liberal conspiracy." I'm curious as to what they will come up with next...

Old 08-06-2014, 01:54 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,776,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That conservatives stop their foolishness?

1. Build a Dam
3. Mine a Lot of Coal
4. Drill a Gusher Dry

To judge from your response, I take it that you favor more and more of all of these things ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies