Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:28 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
But, I still resent the fact that American companies who benefit from American infrastructure, American ingenuity, skilled American workers, and plenty of political cover in Washington DC and in State/Local governments have the gall to leave America high and dry over the corporate tax rate, while still benefiting from the infrastructure, ingenuity, and workforce.
Well put. I was happy to see Walgreen's change their mind on skipping off to Switzerland. Well, not happy - less p.ssed off, I guess.

They have their stores on every US street corner, yet they wanted to somehow argue that they're not actually a US company? Quite happy to benefit from the publicly funded streets that deliver their customers, the public schools that provide them with employees who can read & write, certainly have no problem calling the police and fire department paid for by tax funds - but when the collection plate reached them, suddenly they couldn't find it to contribute? Scr.w that.

They got me to move my prescriptions to CostCo, so there is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 03:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Given this " highest corporate tax rate in the developed world" is a weekly topic on this forum, I know you know there is a difference between statutory and effective tax rates. So, what up with this yet another thread?

I also know you know that corporations are not packing up and leaving town. Instead, in their quest to create better ROI for their shareholders, at the advise of hired guns from Wall Street, some US corporations seek to acquire other corporations in a handful of countries and make it their home office which may be nothing more than a mailing address. The CEOs and their management teams are not relocating.
I hardly think companies would be moving to a lower tax country otherwise... Lost jobs. So debate all you want. Of course Obama trying to figure out how to stop them. I got an answer for that Obama.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And yes they would rather do business here but like you, if it's too expensive and cheaper over there you would do business elsewhere too yet expect them to do what you wouldn't do.
Actually, they seem quite happy to continue to do business in the US. They just want to flim-flam their way out of contributing by pretending their headquarters is a PO box in some tax shelter somewhere.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
It's not like the large corporations are paying taxes anyway...
10. Procter & Gamble | What the Top 10 U.S. Companies Pay In Taxes | Comcast.net
hmmmmm seems like you might be mistaken. Lets also not forget the tax revenue from their employees.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM

If the government doesn't want corporations to flee the country because of high taxes, the solution is to reform corporate taxes, not chain companies to the shore. If they can do it to a corporation, they can do it to you.

Suppose Congress pulled a France and upped the top individual tax rate to 75%? I suspect the exodus of the rich from America would be huge unless the government refused you permission to go.

Obama will have to build a wall and put guards there to keep people from leaving. If Obama can do it to a corporation, he can do it to you.

corporations_fleeing_obamas_idea_of_econimic_patri otism.html

Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
A rash of US corporations renouncing their US citizenship and taking their headquarters overseas, and many more to come, says the Washington Post. The reason? The highest corporate tax rate in the developed world.
Then I guess in accordance with the Constitution, the Republican-controlled House needs to demonstrate its patriotism and write a bill lowering tax rates for corporations.

Is there a particular reason why the GOP is too lame to do that, or is the GOP just lame in general?

Constitutionally...

Mircea

Old 08-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then I guess in accordance with the Constitution, the Republican-controlled House needs to demonstrate its patriotism and write a bill lowering tax rates for corporations.

Is there a particular reason why the GOP is too lame to do that, or is the GOP just lame in general?

Constitutionally...

Mircea
hmmm, the question is.

Will the bill sit on Harry Reid's desk along with the other 352 bills passed by the House

Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
The problem is that our corporate tax rate is far too high. In fact, it's the highest in the OECD. We need to lower our corporate tax rate to be more competitive with the rest of the developed world.
There is a huge difference between the statuatory tax rate of 35% and the average effective tax rate of 12.6% which is comparable to most other OECD countries.

The statutory rate has been unchanged for the past 21 years.

Here's a snapshot of corporate statutory rates for the past 70 years:

1942- 40%
1952- 52%
1962- 52%
1972- 48%
1982-46%

Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
If the government doesn't want corporations to flee the country because of high taxes, the solution is to reform corporate taxes, not chain companies to the shore. If they can do it to a corporation, they can do it to you.

Suppose Congress pulled a France and upped the top individual tax rate to 75%? I suspect the exodus of the rich from America would be huge unless the government refused you permission to go.

Obama will have to build a wall and put guards there to keep people from leaving. If Obama can do it to a corporation, he can do it to you.

corporations_fleeing_obamas_idea_of_econimic_patri otism.html
What does Obama have to do with corporate tax rates?

Quote:
hmmm, the question is.

Will the bill sit on Harry Reid's desk along with the other 352 bills passed by the House
There is no way to know. The GOP blocked the last tax cut proposal, remember?

Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
hmmm, the question is.

Proof Surrogate

Substituting a distracting comment for a real proof.

You didn't answer the question.

How freaking lame is the GOP?

Do I have to tell Boner to write a bill that includes "must pass" legislation, like something for Obamacare maybe?

If I have to do Boner's job for him, then I should be Speaker, right?

The idiot Driehaus runs campaign commercials claiming Steve Chabot voted 8 times against a bill to give body armor for the troops......that much was true....the lying sack of runny excrement Driehaus conveniently forgot to mention the reason why Chabot voted "nay" 8x and that was due to all of the pork the Democrats stuffed into this "must-pass" legislation.

See how that works?

If Boner and the GOP are too damn dense and dumb to study the tactics of garbage like Senator Daniel Inouye who wanted to give France $8 Million US tax-payer dollars to build posh private schools exclusively for Jewish children, then that ain't my fault.

Inouye was the King of Giving Money to Whomever Israel Told Him To Give Money, and so he cleverly attached amendments to "must-pass" legislation.

Why can't Boner attach an amendment rolling back corporate tax rates to 1804 levels?

If you and Boner don't understand politics, maybe you'd do better with women's clothing.

Politically...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies