Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times

Advertisements

What is the penalty for killing a squirrel?

Maybe he could turn himself in for the reward and have a net gain.

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I love squirrels. They wait outside my front door in the morning because they know I'll give them peanuts.
I do the same but it's my back door.
Attached Thumbnails
,000 Reward for Arrest of Squirrel-Kicker-dsc_1926-20140521-1024x802-.jpg  

Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do the same but it's my back door.
Awww, what a cutie! I see he's doing his morning calisthenics.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i agree it's their money to do with as they please. i just think they could do a lot more good for animal welfare with 17 grand than spend it getting some dumb cruel frog arrested who would likely just get a small fine anyway.
6 months in prison and up to $5,000 fine. Not exactly chump change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yet no one even knows if it died. Squirrels weigh almost nothing. Not enough to splat. What probably happened was just a long @#$ climb back up the side for the poor squirrel. Hopefully it bit frenchy in the hanes on the way back.
People keep saying the squirrel fell 6,000 feet. Well from rim edge to the river at the bottom is 6,000 feet, but the canyon has a 'staircase' formation. The squirrel probably only fell between one and two hundred feet. Enough to kill it to be sure, but a big difference from the alarming 6,000 foot figure.

At any rate, I think an effort should be made to find these guys. Not only did they break a federal law that protects our parks and wildlife, but the behavior is an indication that they are capable of other sick acts. Most killers have a history of torturing and killing animals without remorse. Normal people do not kill animals for kicks (no pun intended).

Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
The guy probably kicks dogs and cats too. Animal cruelty is lame, and if these people want to post a reward with their own cash... BRAVO!

I need to go throw some peanuts to my squirrels now :P

Originally Posted by weltschmerz
I love squirrels. They wait outside my front door in the morning because they know I'll give them peanuts.

Wow! Awesome!
I had a squirrel (Scrat) that used to run into my back door and she'd hide walnuts we gave her all over the house. She also loved her ears to be scratched. The cutest thing ever. The cats were confused as hell, but put up with her.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i agree it's their money to do with as they please. i just think they could do a lot more good for animal welfare with 17 grand than spend it getting some dumb cruel frog arrested who would likely just get a small fine anyway.
Exactly. If the guy was smart he would urn himself in and plead guilty and pay the small fine out of the reward.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The guy probably kicks dogs and cats too. Animal cruelty is lame, and if these people want to post a reward with their own cash... BRAVO!

I need to go throw some peanuts to my squirrels now :P

Originally Posted by weltschmerz

Wow! Awesome!
I had a squirrel (Scrat) that used to run into my back door and she'd hide walnuts we gave her all over the house. She also loved her ears to be scratched. The cutest thing ever. The cats were confused as hell, but put up with her.
I have one who comes in my house to perch on my shoulder when I'm online to remind me I'm late with a meal. His name is Squirt.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Around here, squirrels are overpopulated pests so I have no problems with them being killed if that's what it takes, but this goes way beyond pest control (wasn't the guy's job anyways) and well into the torture realm. I can't stand animal cruelty and think the eye-for-an-eye punishment would fit since animals can't understand. Kick this guy off a cliff and see how he likes it (make sure he lives, but don't tell him he'll live).

Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving squirrels. Squirrels are the clowns in your back yard. They are incredibly clever, friendly, and lovable. They are hands down the easiest critter to get to eat out of your hand.

First time I, an NRA life member, am donating some bucks to PETA.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
You're supposed to feed them cashews, bread and cantaloupe and watch them play in your backyard not kick them over cliffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies