Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel like a fellow american?
YES 23 67.65%
NO 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Alabama is a state, not a country...
Where did I claim Alabama as a country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 12:05 PM

186 posts, read 335,451 times
This is what happens with 40 years of mass migration. No, I don't consider a muslim immigrant, or someone from Mexico who can't speak a lick of english as an American.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:21 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Keep in mind that people like live in places like Brazil, Ecuador, Coasta Rica, Cuba, Honduras, Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago, and Canada are also Americans. America isn't just the United States!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Come on now, there has always been a segment of Northeasterners who looked down their noses so to speak at anything coming from the south!
It's a tradition they've carefully perfected since about 1812.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default Blanket statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Look I am just telling you what it sounds like! The # 1 comic in the country is Larry the cable guy, and the blue collar comedy tour . the guy responsible for their success has said that the people in hollywood and new york just dont get it, they dont understand. maybe there is a connection to why you dont relate with a lot of Americans.
Look do I get Larry the cable guy. No do I trash him because of his humor. No. I wish the guy the much success and glad he found his niche in his chosen profession. Although I take a little issue to the blue collar thing. There are still plenty of us up here that work the same blue collar jobs as the people of the south. The blue collar label doesn't just apply to the south.

Quote:
You don't have to get all defensive about it , you made the claim, I am just telling you how it comes off.
1. I understood when I pressed that submit button that I would probably take some flax for my statement. Which is fine. Elitist I don't think is the proper word for what I said but what ever. But you crossed that line by your statement about New Englanders and I called you out on it.

2. Defense? I don't go on the defense when someone throw out a blanket statement about what a typical New Englander is and insult my home and my culture. Don't mistake me or the typical New Englander with a John Kerry who back down from the swifties. When someone jumps on my home...... it's all offense and in your face. I will call you to the carpet when I deem it justified and it was justified this time.
Be prepared as I was to deal with the consequences when you press that submit button.

As far as me being Elitist, I could be, and am accussed of being a lot of things, Elitist has never been one of them.[/quote]

As you said earlier in this post.

Quote:
"you made the claim, I am just telling you how it comes off."

Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Where did I claim Alabama as a country?
Silas777 you didn't, you said something like Alabama is your favorite part of the country. Everyone else understands.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Does that then include the tens of thousands of AMERICAN citizens who live in Canada, Mexico, Barbados, Belize, and pretty close to every other country in the world? {/QUOTE]

Would that in part be due to the fact that, after seven years of Bush, being called an American would be taken as something of an insult in many countries these days?
Obviously, any American citizen is an "American", regardless of his momentary place of residence, military personnel included. And, as you suggest, some of the "glamor" may have been lost, that was formerly associated with being an American. We're not nearly as popular as we once were.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Look do I get Larry the cable guy. No do I trash him because of his humor. No. I wish the guy the much success and glad he found his niche in his chosen profession. Although I take a little issue to the blue collar thing. There are still plenty of us up here that work the same blue collar jobs as the people of the south. The blue collar label doesn't just apply to the south.

1. I understood when I pressed that submit button that I would probably take some flax for my statement. Which is fine. Elitist I don't think is the proper word for what I said but what ever. But you crossed that line by your statement about New Englanders and I called you out on it.

2. Defense? I don't go on the defense when someone throw out a blanket statement about what a typical New Englander is and insult my home and my culture. Don't mistake me or the typical New Englander with a John Kerry who back down from the swifties. When someone jumps on my home...... it's all offense and in your face. I will call you to the carpet when I deem it justified and it was justified this time.
Be prepared as I was to deal with the consequences when you press that submit button.

As far as me being Elitist, I could be, and am accussed of being a lot of things, Elitist has never been one of them.
As you said earlier in this post.[/quote]
this was my original response: "Well no offense but I would say that makes you SOUND like what a lot of people in the rest of this great country THINK, a typical smug, elitist, new england liberal, johnkerry would SOUND like! " capitalized for clarity. Look I got relatives in new england, I am not insulting you or anybody else. do you guys drink a lot of caffeine up there ?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default Do you think I a rube?

Quote:
As you said earlier in this post.
this was my original response: "Well no offense but I would say that makes you SOUND like what a lot of people in the rest of this great country THINK, a typical smug, elitist, new england liberal, johnkerry would SOUND like! " capitalized for clarity. Look I got relatives in new england, I am not insulting you or anybody else. do you guys drink a lot of caffeine up there ?[/quote]

1. I read enough of your past posts to know that your intent was to offend not just me but the Northeast. Do you think your posting to a rube here? I call you on it. So forget about backpedaling what posted is posted. And the intent behind that posting is permanent as well. One more thing please don't pull I know somebody card. It just make it worse.

2. Granted I'm must admit that I'm one of the few baystater that love starbuck. But most of the Baystate is run on Dunkin Donuts.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
this was my original response: "Well no offense but I would say that makes you SOUND like what a lot of people in the rest of this great country THINK, a typical smug, elitist, new england liberal, johnkerry would SOUND like! " capitalized for clarity. Look I got relatives in new england, I am not insulting you or anybody else. do you guys drink a lot of caffeine up there ?
1. I read enough of your past posts to know that your intent was to offend not just me but the Northeast. Do you think your posting to a rube here? I call you on it. So forget about backpedaling what posted is posted. And the intent behind that posting is permanent as well. One more thing please don't pull I know somebody card. It just make it worse.

.[/quote] Baystate, listen up , just take a deep breath, obviously you are out to prove something, If you want to get all up in arms and be offended thats your business, I am not the backpedaling type, I am from the east coast for crying out loud, caffeine referance was, you seem a little amped up! If you actually read my response you would see you are being a tad hypersensitive, maybe that might also have something to do with your relatability issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies