Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,614,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One possible compromise would be to make ALL organized religions illegal. If we get rid of both Islam and Judaism, there won't be any such factions to fight each other. At least not on religious grounds. If people want to practice religion, they should do so individually, without being in organized religions. Most religious people acquire their religion as small children, when they don't have the minds to be skeptical. If religion were illegal, children could grow up free of such influences, and make up their own minds about whatever gods might interest them, when they're adults and not influenced by religious culture.

A lot of people will say that's the opposite of freedom. For the state to prohibit organized religion. But, being organized, the religion itself is a kind of state. I'm not saying to prohibit religion, but just organized religion. With something like a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Israel and Hamas would still be at war with each other, because they're people, and war is what people do. But they could gradually become friends, because they would have less to argue about. Once they become good friends, they might be motivated to stop killing each other.
It does seem that throughout history religion has more often been used to keep people apart and in conflict, instead of bring people together.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:16 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,414,877 times
Yes everybody knows Hamas is a terrorist organization that willingly kills civilians.

And Israel is committing war crimes by willingly killing civilians with bombs. Keep in mind, the Palestinians aren't allowed to leave. They are trapped in Gaza BY ISRAEL'S BLOCKADE.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,941,348 times
I remember reading letters from Roman administrators dismissing the entire area of Judea as a hopelessly violent place, with squabbling sects killing each other with impunity -- only pausing their internal civil wars to occasionally fight the Romans.

Google wasn't helpful. Anyone have a link?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:56 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,011,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One possible compromise would be to make ALL organized religions illegal. If we get rid of both Islam and Judaism, there won't be any such factions to fight each other. At least not on religious grounds. If people want to practice religion, they should do so individually, without being in organized religions. Most religious people acquire their religion as small children, when they don't have the minds to be skeptical. If religion were illegal, children could grow up free of such influences, and make up their own minds about whatever gods might interest them, when they're adults and not influenced by religious culture.

A lot of people will say that's the opposite of freedom. For the state to prohibit organized religion. But, being organized, the religion itself is a kind of state. I'm not saying to prohibit religion, but just organized religion. With something like a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Israel and Hamas would still be at war with each other, because they're people, and war is what people do. But they could gradually become friends, because they would have less to argue about. Once they become good friends, they might be motivated to stop killing each other.
Sounds great, I wish it were possible. It's 2014 for god's sake (). Such divisive and fatuous superstitions are well past their sell-by-date. The dodgy desert trilogy is the worst of the lot.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,119,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
All you are doing is repeating the same thing without adding anything new. You are saying it is not Israel's fault that so many of the victims are innocents. Well, then, who sent the bombs? Israel. Israel had a choice and it chose to kill that many innocents - knowing that they would be killed because of the physical danger they were forced to live in. So, what's your argument? It seems like it is just that Israel had no other choice but to kill them along with the enemy. A sick argument if there ever was one, a morally bankrupt one.

You of course overlook the fact that many Palestinians who were killed and maimed could not possibly have supported Hamas and you make the convenient presumption that the rest of guilty of supporting Hamas - guilty, not proven so, but you will call them guilty and let them die nonetheless. You are judge and jury. It should also be said that according to many the Palestinians cannot speak out against Hamas for fear of sure death of themselves and their family members. Not that you bother to mention this.
Would you be willing to accept daily rocket attacks on your city from Mexico, perhaps killing one of your children? What if they were not supported by most Mexicans .... what if they hid behind innocents?

I sure don't like the idea of war, but Israel has the right to defend itself. The Gazans have been given huge amounts of aid, some of it even by Israel, but they chose to take it and use it to build the tunnels and rockets instead of building up their city and helping fight poverty.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,694,901 times
Hamas continues to say they want to exterminate Israel and all infidels, they use humans as shields, and saying it won't end until all their blood is spilled. They end with a salute to Islam and Jihad. If that isn't modern day Nazi, I don't know what is.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,235,888 times
What do you call it when 2,700,000 people are displaced from their homes, and some were killed, maimed, assaulted, and raped by Orthodox Christians?

Point is that there is evil in all religions. When you consider Jerusalem is the home city for their religion I can understand their anger, but not condone killing over it.

Ethnic cleansing in the Bosnian War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,489,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Would you be willing to accept daily rocket attacks on your city from Mexico, perhaps killing one of your children? What if they were not supported by most Mexicans .... what if they hid behind innocents?

I sure don't like the idea of war, but Israel has the right to defend itself. The Gazans have been given huge amounts of aid, some of it even by Israel, but they chose to take it and use it to build the tunnels and rockets instead of building up their city and helping fight poverty.
Here is my reply: I would not find it possible to send bomb after bomb after bomb over to the other side where the people have nowhere to hide, no iron dome, no shelter, nothing, knowing it is maiming and killing other children. Especially so many!!! I guess you feel you could.

Your last statement is tiresome and old. We all know what Hamas has been doing. Do you really think that the children and old and women have anything to say about this? Are you using the behavior of the Hamas to justify killing the innocent?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,694,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Here is my reply: I would not find it possible to send bomb after bomb after bomb over to the other side where the people have nowhere to hide, no iron dome, no shelter, nothing, knowing it is maiming and killing other children. Especially so many!!! I guess you feel you could.

Your last statement is tiresome and old. We all know what Hamas has been doing. Do you really think that the children and old and women have anything to say about this? Are you using the behavior of the Hamas to justify killing the innocent?
You are trying to blame Israel for Hamas' actions? Silly, just silly.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,279,902 times
Is a hatred that goes beyond religion.

Maybe Jordan and Egypt can open their borders and take these innocent people in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies