Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

This Fall you can expect Alaska and the District of Columbia to legalize marijuana, and perhaps even Maryland. The ball is rolling downhill now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
No-pot Fife takes aim at Washington marijuana law

I am not a lawyer, but I can't see how they do not have a solid case. If federal law does not trump state law, then why was the deal struck between Holder and Gov. Jay Inslee necessary? Inslee could have just said '*********' state law trumps. And if federal law trumps state law, how does Holder have the power to modify federal law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Constitution
All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Fife responds to pot-ban challenge, will argue that federal law trumps I-502 | Local News | The News Tribune

Fife, WA, is a town of about 9000 souls, about 30 miles south of Seattle. I think it is best known for Sportco Warehouse, a giant purveyor of sporting goods right off of Interstate 5 in beautiful downtown Fife. The powers that be in Fife have decided to challenge MJ legalization on the grounds that it remains illegal under federal law, and federal law trumps state law. I think they have an excellent case. I am ambivalent about MJ legalization, but not about rule of law. If we wish to change the law, let's do it constitutionally and not by presidential fiat. If the President can change the law by fiat for your benefit, he/she can also change the law to your detriment.

But do they have standing to bring such a lawsuit?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But do they have standing to bring such a lawsuit?
Hell if I know; I am not a lawyer. But if the US Constitution is being shredded. somebody should have standing to do something about it. Otherwise why do we have a Constitution?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default really, it's not the end of civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hell if I know; I am not a lawyer. But if the US Constitution is being shredded. somebody should have standing to do something about it. Otherwise why do we have a Constitution?

The Constitution was shredded when the Supreme Court upheld the federal government's contention that they could use the Commerce Clause to prohibit cannabis production, distribution, or even freely giving it away within a state. The "logic" is that even if all the activity is within a state, and even if no money changes hands, that production, distribution, or give away, still affects the interstate market. How there can be an interstate market in an illegal substance was not addressed, as far as I know. There is no Constitutional Amendment that was ever passed that legitimizes the prohibition of cannabis federally.

I don't think Fife has a case in County Court (a state court), which is where this case is going to be tried, on the merits of the state regulation program, or the legality of cannabis in their state. They are trying to say that municipal statues can negate state law. They are also saying that Federal law negates state law. I don't think that will fly in a state court. The State Attorney General has said he is adding himself to these cases to make sure that state law is both, interpreted properly, and that the laws of the state, and the will of the people, are upheld, which he is required to do.

Some attorneys in the state have interpreted the law to mean that that local communities can restrict where a dispensary can be located, but can not ban it outright. The State Attorney General disagrees and says he believes cities and counties can ban dispensary locations. I don't think he is right, despite the fact that in Colorado, cities and towns do have that right (there it is expressly written in the law). If his opinion prevails, then theoretically, all the counties in the state could ban dispensary locations and the will of the people, who overwhelmingly voted for cannabis regulation, would have been negated.

The Federal Attorney General has stated in a letter that as long as states abide by federal priorities, such as keeping it out of the hands of minors, not allowing interstate distribution, etc., that the Feds will let states "experiment" with alternatives to the Drug War. However, the Feds, in the same letter say that should they see evidence that their priorities are not being met, that they reserve the possibility of intervention in any state, as the Federal Controlled Substances Act remains in full force.

There is precedent for this. During the Clinton Administration, before the federal welfare system was overhauled, several states were given permission to experiment with different models of welfare using federally allocated funds.

So Fife does have a case, but the only viable case they have is a zoning case. Opinion is mixed on whether they will win or lose.

I'm not a lawyer either, but that is what some lawyers in the state are saying about this development. It will be interesting to see if the state court agrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies