Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think this is a false flag attempt { and a poor one at that } by someone who is obviously having a slow night..... That's what I think.
Definitely. No thinking required, as no thinking was used to write the OP.

SYG laws do NOT mean "shoot first", and they definitely do not give anyone the right to kill anyone else. Deadly force must always be justified, whether in a SYG state or not.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
As Tea Partiers and NRA advocates do we need to strengthen and enhance Stand You Ground Laws across the country? Does it bother you that in Michigan a man was convicted of killing a teen after firing his 12 gauge point blank at her face?

Homeowner Who Shot And Killed A Girl On His Porch Found Guilty Of Murder | ThinkProgress

Michigan has a stand your ground law but it didnt protect this man. So what do you think 2nd amendment, Tea Partiers and conservatives in general?

Wafer Testifies About Shooting McBride -- NYMag
Before going partisan, your current president also supported SYG laws when he was senator.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Knocking on a door does not constitute an emergency... stand your ground laws require an aggressor, there was no aggressor.... castle doctrine requires someone breaking into your home, there was no break in... you liberals fail in your anti-gun propaganda... what he did was illegal...

Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
I have been in this individuals situation more than once, awakened by someone banging on my door at Zero dark thirty. I waited in my house, door locked, and waited for the police.

No bad things happened.

Now if the individual banging on my door had broken in, bad things would have happened to that individual, and I would have been justified in protecting my life, etc.

The key here is that the shooter cannot show he was actually defending himself or his property. The age, prior history and sex of the individual shot in this incident also played a part. If the person beating on the door was a 20-something 6' 210 pound man with an arrest record for numerous crimes, the odds are that the shooter would be no-billed. The fact that this was a teen-age girl that had not been in any trouble tends to show that the shooter was not facing a threat.

You are responsible for your safety. Not the police, not your neighbor. You. The average police response time is in some areas as much as an hour. At the same time, you are also responsible for your actions.

You cannot be either a vigilante or cower in our home in fear. Take whatever action is necessary to protect yourself. But remember that when you make the decision to use a firearm, you have to accept the consequences that go with it. That is the same if you decide you don't want a firearm. You have to accept those consequences. The difference is that if you are in a potential life threatening situation, you do have the possibility to defend yourself if you have a firearm. Otherwise, you are a victim. Period.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whaaaaah? There are any number of situations and influences on the individual over the course of a routine day that could lead to poor decision making and you're going with a 5AM wake-up call being enough to throw off his common sense and logical restraint?
I'm going to say it again, half asleep with an adrenaline rush is not going to lead to good decisions. I have been awoken to an emergency situation similar tho this I can assure you correct decision making was not easy.

Quote:
The man had many options open to him ~ like calling 911, staying hidden inside his house, not responding at all to the front door, viewing the threat from a window in another part of the house from the front porch, not interacting at all with the noise from his porch while talking on the phone with a 911 dispatcher.
The correct course of action here would have been to get the weapon and identify who is banging on your door and why.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
I have been in this individuals situation more than once, awakened by someone banging on my door at Zero dark thirty. I waited in my house, door locked, and waited for the police.
How do you know your house wasn't on fire? What if someone was dying on your front lawn?

I don't think you can ignore someone pounding on your front door at 5AM but you need to proceed with caution.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM

29,480 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
As Tea Partiers and NRA advocates do we need to strengthen and enhance Stand You Ground Laws across the country? Does it bother you that in Michigan a man was convicted of killing a teen after firing his 12 gauge point blank at her face?

Homeowner Who Shot And Killed A Girl On His Porch Found Guilty Of Murder | ThinkProgress

Michigan has a stand your ground law but it didnt protect this man. So what do you think 2nd amendment, Tea Partiers and conservatives in general?

First off, He F'd up by pulling the trigger. He might have been scared but his life was not in danger at that moment. He was in a secured house, yes things could have changed very quickly had the senario been different and people had actually broken in.
Now I don't think he should have gotten the 2nd degree murder conviction. Negligent homicide or manslaughter sure. Our judicial system here in Detroit is a joke. This guy get's second degree murder with no parole. A group of thugs robbed and almost beat a man to death and only one got jail time , the others got probation. There is a lot of racial tension in the D and I think a lot of the outcomes of these trials are due to that.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:57 AM

29,480 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How do you know your house wasn't on fire? What if someone was dying on your front lawn?

I don't think you can ignore someone pounding on your front door at 5AM but you need to proceed with caution.
You sure can, and especially now that the thugs are using this tactic to lure people out and rob them. Error on the side of caution , or it could be your life.

Now just this week, Tuesday night this very situation happened as I was getting into the shower. I dressed and ran to the front door to see my neighbor running away screaming at the top of her lungs. I rushed out and into a situation that I was not prepared for. She had just gotten home with her kids , opened the garage door to find her boyfriend had hung himself. I cut him down, and my wife , the girlfriend and I tried to revive him. Had it not been my neighbor I might not have even answered the door.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I think the law in Montana is just fine the way it is.
See MCA 45-3-103
No changes are needed, IMO.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:

I think the verdict was right in this case. Beating on a door is not a threat to your life. If she had broken through the door and attempted to force entry that's a different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies