Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,122 times

Advertisements

I am glad this thread is not closed or off page 1. Or moved to another spot on c-d that no one can find.

I agree and i post alot less than i used to. There just so much hatred going around which is what this goverment ( both sides) want so we are at each other and we dont see what they actually do.

What is considered an attack on a poster varries by the day. Some thread get shut down for no reason while others should but get to go on. I hope this post doesnt kill this thread as i am not pointing out any one mod... Or even all the mods. I am pointing out no one person at all so please lets keep this productive thread going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You cannot have a political discussion with people who deal in emotion.
Well, you proved the OP right.
Quote:
Most of the threads are full of flame throwing, name calling, ill informed contributions. There seems no positive goal of trying to further a conversation to perhaps reach a common goal. The threads, generally speaking, seem to go nowhere

Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
How is that post any different than yours above it?
Both are saying the same thing.

Talk about the log...

Edited to add:

I've been staying away lately. There is just too much hate being voiced here. I don't need it in my life.
The hate can be frustrating. Especially when the poster isn't even making a valid argument, just arguing to argue. There are a few like that.

I guess I've adapted to all of the hate and just used it as preparation for discussions in the real world. If you can debate here on C-D and make a point, you can debate with anyone in the general public.

Honestly though, there's some very informed and intelligent posters. Even ones I disagree with. I like to debate and am interested in Politics and Social issues so usually I can deal with the immature and irrational posters.

I've been hooked on the site for 7 years now. Learned a TON of information here. I would say that it has been the single best website in molding most of my political views. You here ALL sides on here.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It used to be a lot better. 5 years ago, while there was still tons of cheerleading, it was a good forum overall. Something still keeps me coming back, but it's gone way downhill.
I don't think CD has gone downhill so much as the general tone in American politics has become bitter and divisive. When one side calls the other unpatriotic for disagreeing with GWB, people get ticked off, and when the other side calls people racist or white supremacists for disagreeing with Obama then people get really pi$$ed off.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
politics bring out very passionate people with very strong views most of the time. Actually I have been here for ages and I see both: yes, a lot of flaming, a lot of misunderstanding but I have learned a few things as well. I believe it is an outlet for many frustrations. There are a few on here that are so close minded it is a waste of time to even respond to their posts, most do contribute in some way or another.
Of course it brings out passionate response. There are two types of people here... Those who do not want to be controlled (right) and those who demand to control everyone else (left).

This is not negotiable. Like compromising with someone who wants to kill you, it's an absurdity.

Either you defeat the left, or we live in tyranny, there's no other choices.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Of course it brings out passionate response. There are two types of people here... Those who do not want to be controlled (right) and those who demand to control everyone else (left).

This is not negotiable. Like compromising with someone who wants to kill you, it's an absurdity.

Either you defeat the left, or we live in tyranny, there's no other choices.
Maybe theres a third type of person here who deals in absurd hyperbole?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
For several weeks I've visited this forum and have occasionally contributed. At first I thought perhaps there might be some serious, informed discussion of political issues. I've come to realize that is generally not the case.

Most of the threads are full of flame throwing, name calling, ill informed contributions. There seems no positive goal of trying to further a conversation to perhaps reach a common goal. The threads, generally speaking, seem to go nowhere.

This could be a great forum if only it could attract contributors that are curious enough to go beyond the simple rhetoric so pervasive in a culture driven by division and distaste for other possibilities. Perhaps it is nothing more than a reflection of our current political leadership. At one time I posed the question which now seems more relevant after reviewing content here; can't we do better?
If you put two people in a room long enough, they aren't going to agree on everything with one another.

Thats what we have here. Deeply entrenched political positions that are bolstered by uninformed media sources, like cable news.

The reason I post, the reason I stay here, is that there are some positions that are just so blatantly false that someone has to say something, or other people may believe it. Even if I can change one persons mind, or just open it a little, I feel like I have contributed to something. That includes keeping morons from closing their mind with saying things like, "the world is 6000 years old" or "All (insert party) members are crazy"

Old 08-08-2014, 05:02 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
...It continually reinforces my assertion that for some people, their ignorance is their most prized possession and they'll fight like hell to hold onto it.
So we've noticed...

Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,425,953 times
Now, back to the topic...
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Maybe theres a third type of person here who deals in absurd hyperbole?
Not at all.

That's what it breaks down to, every time. There are no debates here that do not hinge on the premise of some controlling others, and resistance to that control. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies