Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times

Advertisements

I think some business should post a "no Christians allowed" policy, and see how many people suddenly want to cry how unfair it is to discriminate against the religious.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Whether god exists or not, some Christians are dirt-dumb about interpreting "what the bible says". It doesn't BREAK GOD'S LAW to sell clothing or food or to shelter anyone. If it does then EVERYONE is breaking god's law every damn day. These dirt-dumb businesses need to go down.

Also curious that they only seem to care about the homosexual issue isn't it?

Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I think some business should post a "no Christians allowed" policy, and see how many people suddenly want to cry how unfair it is to discriminate against the religious.
And another business would post "Christians Only" to serve them. They would know where not to shop and where they are welcome. One business might flounder, or both may thrive.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some Christians are dirt-dumb about interpreting "what the bible says".
I agree with you about using the Bible, or Koran, or Mother Goose as determining anything other than what incantations to shout at the sky. And it's dishonest. How about just using our First Amendment rights to honestly say "You disgust me and I don't want to have a business relationship with you." and let it go at that with no further liability on either side.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm sure they would be happy to know so they aren't handing over money to people that are unwelcoming and don't hold their own beliefs.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If they won't serve them I wouldn't want to give them my business. Duh!
This is what I do not understand. Is it right? no, but private business has a right to serve whom they want and if someone didn't want to serve me, I would do whatever I could to give my business to someone else. The exception would be a lack of other choices, but this isn't the case. Our foster daughter is a lesbian and an electrician. She says much of her business used to come from gays. They preferred give their business to her. Is that wrong? No, of course not.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 PM

109 posts, read 91,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you are in the business of selling dresses then you sell dresses to whomever walks through the door and pays the asking price. What weird logic allows you to decide whether the "morals" of your customer are worthy of your wares? Fortunately, your opinion is not going to prevail and people who think like you do will be silenced eventually.
See bolded

Whatever side you are on, the above bolded is wrong no matter what you believe.

I mourn for my nation, and her people.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:46 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, to address your example, I'm not into fat chicks. That's a personal choice and not part of the issue here. To further address it, the very concept of "sin" is silly to me as I have no allegiance to any particular invisible sky friend. And what's the problem with blends? Sounds like you spend way too much time with your Bible.

The problem I have here is that two (or more, very likely more) individuals are attempting to ruin the business and livelihood of someone whom they really have no desire to do business with. They're simply offended that someone else's worldview does not match theirs and as such they will seek to destroy that person financially. Let's say it goes to court. Let's say they "win". Will they at that point want to buy their wedding mumus from this particular shop, or will knowing that they caused ruin of that shop be enough for them? What's their real goal? Seems pretty clear to anyone with two or more brain cells, and that is what makes the situation so disgusting. They're petty, hateful, narrow minded, spiteful, harmful, awful people who demand acceptance of their choices while seeking to destroy those who disagree with them. How very accepting, right?
Damn you nailed it, flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
One question: Is this the only bridal shop in town or within driving distance? If no, then it's an attention-grabbing politically-motivated stunt where the end goal is destruction of a business who's owners have a different worldview than the actors here and thus must be punished as they attempt to "normalize" their chosen lifestyle.

Disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I just don't see the benefit to society overall with the new attitude of "your personal beliefs must match ours or we will destroy your business."
That's their game- publicity to destroy these business owners.

Great posts, guys

Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Okay, I read each story that had a link to it and I don't see how the two women who were denied service are trying to destroy the business. They are publicizing the shop's policy - which they have every right to do. If the shop owner is so devout, she should be glad as this will no doubt send all lesbian couples elsewhere and she won't have to deal with them. It also promotes her business to those who share here beliefs so they can shop there (and since she only wants customers who agree with her on this - she can be glad to be catering to kindred spirits).

Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 PM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
I never saw a requirement in the Bible that you can only sell wedding dresses to straight girls.

There's a restriction in Leviticus against wearing clothes of mixed fibers -- I wonder how many of those Ms. Miller sells every day of her life?
Nowhere in the bible is homosexuality condoned, since you brought it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies