Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you identify your belief system?
Liberal 59 27.19%
Conservative 72 33.18%
Neither 77 35.48%
None of your business!! 9 4.15%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:17 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

I guess it would depend on whether you're talking socially, fiscally, legally, etc. I'm liberal on some aspects and conservative on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 PM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
Neither really, sometimes one, sometimes the other.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Fiscally conservative, socially moderate. I consider myself a moderate conservative.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
I suppose you could call me a libertarian but I consider real libertarianism to be something quite different than the left/right wing stuff. In my opinion a libertarian puts personal liberty ahead of government and the business community. In essence, there's no such thing as a corporate libertarian if you ask me! Furthermore both the left and right tend to be often clones of each other. To me both the Tea Party and OWS are basically the same movement: "we're mad because Wall Street sold us crap and we want our $$$$ back!" (even though they knew it was a turd they were buying, LOL) If either group seized power they might decide to make the prepper lifestyle a bit harder.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
To me both the Tea Party and OWS are basically the same movement: "we're mad because Wall Street sold us crap and we want our $$$$ back!" (even though they knew it was a turd they were buying, LOL) If either group seized power they might decide to make the prepper lifestyle a bit harder.
I think you have grossly misunderstood what either Tea Party or OWS stand for.

Many times people are peons in other people's games. He who has the capability or leverage to change things at a high level, has much more understanding of the pieces of the puzzle than someone who is a piece in the puzzle themselves, no? Think of it this way, you can be a bus factory owner, bus designer/engineer or a bus driver. As a driver you cannot be expected to understand the reasons behind why an engineer did something he did with a certain part or why the owner of the factory made a certain business decision. To liken this to your example, with the information you had as a mortgage borrower, you decision field was limited compared to the guy at JPM or whatever packaging bad securities with good ones, over-leveraging the firm etc. You have no way of knowing what is going on at the Bank when you sign the papers.

Think of the farmers plowing the plains before the Dust Bowl happened.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM

156 posts, read 193,582 times
I used to be a sworn centrist, but lately, a lot of the stuff I've been hearing from the right has been pushing me further to the left. The democrats are very flawed, but at least you don't see them going on about how teachers are overpaid, not all rape is "legitimate", and how only people like them are "real Americans." And the vast majority of the bigoted and hateful comments I see online every day are from right-wingers.

And it's not even the presence of the extremists in the GOP so much as the way moderate conservatives seem to be just standing back and letting them take it over.

That doesn't mean I approve of Tumblr warriors or people like Cynthia McKinney, though. I'm still pretty moderate.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I disagree. While there are genuine "moderates", given a litmus test of major social and fiscals issues, most people will come out on one side or the other.
`
Of course you'll come out on one side or the other when all is said and done. It's actually thinking of yourself on one side or the other that limits free thought.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Similar to what one poster has already said, I consider myself a fiscal conservative and a social moderate. I call myself a social moderate because I support gay marriage, but I am against things such as abortion and gun control. I believe in the maximum amount of freedom, and the Republicans (and possibly Libertarians in the future) offer that; the only thing that the Democrats offer is less gun rights, socialized medicine, political correctness, and putting the blame on Bush even though Obama has held the office for more than six and a half years.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I'm biblically conservative which isn't listed.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Neither, I believe in logic. Conservatives and Liberals do not coincide with reality. They are nothing but philosophies with a fixed set of principles to follow.

I do what I think is necessary based on my own experience and knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Of course you'll come out on one side or the other when all is said and done. It's actually thinking of yourself on one side or the other that limits free thought.

I think the point is that very few people, who are not career politicians, will come out firmly on one side of the aisle in every issue.

For example, for myself, I am very anti-gun-control but am also very pro-environment. In the current political scheme, those two views are opposing along party lines. Therefore, I either change my views in order to fit into a neat, little political mold - or I continue to have my own rational opinions, and consider myself a moderate. I consider myself a right-leaning moderate, but will never consider myself a Republican.

I think for the most part, like me, most people are also in somewhere in the middle of the hard-and-fast, semi-concocted, black-and-white viewpoints of either party in today's political landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies