Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you identify your belief system?
Liberal 59 27.19%
Conservative 72 33.18%
Neither 77 35.48%
None of your business!! 9 4.15%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
What about free and accessible healthcare? You believe in the right to get an abortion but do you believe in the right to get proper healthcare if you can't afford it? How about the right to breathe clean air or drink clean water over someone else's right to pollute the same water in the process of making profits? Which one takes precedence? Just curious
Probably not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway

I think that it is a reasonable expectation that the government be responsible for protecting the citizens (note: CITIZENS, not just entities) from predatory, exploitative, or injurious practices and for impartially resolving any disputes that arise between citizens, between entities (including governments), and between citizens and entities.

With those expectations in mind:
1. Free & accessible healthcare -- YES. Protecting the citizens from profiteering by insurance companies and other healthcare agencies, while ensuring adequate healthcareis available to all citizens for prevention or reparation of injury. We provide this for education, why/how is healthcare any different?

2. Clean air & drinking water -- YES. Protecting the citizens from predatory, exploitative and injurious practices. Citizens (natural persons) before entities (legal personas). People before profits. Life before business. In this case, the Libertarian principle wins out over Capitalism -- the rights of an individual or entity (to do business however they want) only extends until it infringes on the rights of another individual or entity (to live/exist free from injury). As long as the individual/entity is not prohibited entirely from doing any business at all by requiring that they operate in a fashion that is not predatory, exploitative or injurious their right to do business and make a profit is not infringed.

Conversely, no law should be instituted that infringes the ability to do business and profit from a mutually agreed upon private contract that does not directly injure another party (i.e. no more "nanny" laws that are intended only to "protect us from ourselves"). If some wants to sell/use drugs, sell or solicit sex, consume/provide raw milk, enter into a same-sex union -- as long as the transaction is a fully-disclosed, direct, private contract between two parties with their mutual agreement and with mutually satisfactory conditions without exploiting, predating or injuring another party, then government should have no right to prohibit it... only to provide regulatory guidelines for the protection of the general populace and a method for contract dispute resolution.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-12-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 11:30 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Doom and gloom without an ounce of truth. We have ended our wars, the economy has recovered, and major health care reform was passed under the current administration. The last two administrations were hardly equal.

I am most closely defined as a liberal. I'll be conservative when American society reaches its apex. Given our resistance to efficient infrastructure, universal health care, and subsidized higher education, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Do you truly believe that diatribe?
What wars have ended?
What economy has recovered?
ACA was rammed through against the wishes of the American public.

LWNJ is more fittting.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
ACA was rammed through against the wishes of the American public
Tell us what you perceive are the wishes of the "American public" when it comes to healthcare coverage and system? I personally think most Americans want free and accessible healthcare and most are sick and tired of being bent over. What do you think?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Tell us what you perceive are the wishes of the "American public" when it comes to healthcare coverage and system? I personally think most Americans want free and accessible healthcare and most are sick and tired of being bent over. What do you think?

Lessee...most Americans with any sense realize "free and accessible healthcare" is a ridiculous possibility unless brainwashed into thinking they deserve such by liberal progressives - the only people on earth to believe this universal dream should be real.
Who will pay for the utopia? Seriously...do you people ever consider the actual cost of this or are you still hoping and praying for all of the invaders to make it safely here so you feel good about them being in the USA so they can enjoy the "free and accessible healthcare" Americans aren't.

To acheive said utopia each and every American will be "bent over" and by your own words "most are sick and tired" of that position aleady.

That about explains the wishes of the American public when it comes to having ACA forced upon us.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,289 times
Quote:
Lessee...most Americans with any sense realize "free and accessible healthcare" is a ridiculous possibility unless brainwashed into thinking they deserve such by liberal progressives - the only people on earth to believe this universal dream should be real.
Who will pay for the utopia? Seriously...do you people ever consider the actual cost of this or are you still hoping and praying for all of the invaders to make it safely here so you feel good about them being in the USA so they can enjoy the "free and accessible healthcare" Americans aren't.

To acheive said utopia each and every American will be "bent over" and by your own words "most are sick and tired" of that position aleady.

That about explains the wishes of the American public when it comes to having ACA forced upon us.
I didn't ask you about ACA - I asked you about free healthcare. ACA is as about close to free and accessible healthcare as a corporation is to being a person.

So, you think the current system is OK? The hidden price lists, the prices you can negotiate down sometimes 10 times or more below what is being charged, the denials of coverage for people who have spent their whole lives working and paying into the system, the fact that the insurance companies are effectively the dreaded "death panels", so on and so on. You think that is perfectly fine and there is no better way?

Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Americans want everything to be free, accessible, entertaining, and most of all, not requiring any decisions or effort on their part.

The ancient Romans had bread and circuses. Americans have football and food stamps.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
I would love to see the republicrat duopoly lose influence to a third and fourth party. I would also like to see mandatory open primaries for all national offices.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Americans want everything to be free, accessible, entertaining, and most of all, not requiring any decisions or effort on their part.

The ancient Romans had bread and circuses. Americans have football and food stamps.
Consider that quote stolen!!!!! Love it!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,941,237 times
Quote:
Hmmm... I wonder how the national public health systems have been successully in place in most of Europe, Australia and Japan for decades if it's so ridiculous? Are we Americans just too stupid to figure out how to make it work? Or are we just too invested in the current health insurance and private healthcare system to replace it with something that would actually work?

Really, the US is about the only developed nation without national healthcare.

I'm still waiting to hear how tax-funded public healthcare is any different than tax-funded public education, or tax-funded public roadways....

Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What the hell does this have to do with the conversation?

You literally have no better response to my post but useless rambling.
I'd expect you not to understand.

Most other people here got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies