Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times

Advertisements

Despite Legalization, Colorado Teenagers Stubbornly Refuse to Smoke More Pot

Quote:
"Once again, claims that regulating marijuana would leave Colorado in ruins have proven to be unfounded," says Mason Tvert of the Marijuana Policy Project, who was a leader of Colorado's legalization campaign. "How many times do marijuana prohibition supporters need to be proven wrong before they stop declaring our marijuana laws are increasing teen use? They were wrong when they said regulating medical marijuana would do it, and they were wrong when they doubled down and said making marijuana legal for adults would do it."

Once again, the prohibitionists are proven conclusively wrong. This is just too fun, as legalization takes hold and continues to establish itself, the sky refuses to fall per the predictions of prohibitionists.

Now the question remains, do any of them have the intellectual fortitude to admit they were wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Now the question remains, do any of them have the intellectual fortitude to admit they were wrong?
I doubt it, I don't think they care. Once FL and TX legalize it we should see more change at the national level.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:55 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

But the fact remains, Colorado teens smoke pot. Personally, I think that no one under the age of 21 should be smoking pot, smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol. Sure they are going to sneak it, but the practice should not be condoned.

Smoking anything is bad for the lungs. And since the young adult brain doesn't fully finish developing until the age of 25, their substance abuse should be kept to a minimum while they are young.

So count me unimpressed by your thread.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I doubt it, I don't think they care. Once FL and TX legalize it we should see more change at the national level.
How are the efforts going in those states? Just curious... I know Oregon and Alaska are commonly considered next in line. I figure once it goes to over 5-6 states legalizing, they will have to at the least, de-schedule it at the federal level, leaving it up to the states.

When that happens, I bet you see a majority of states move to legalization very rapidly.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But the fact remains, Colorado teens smoke pot. Personally, I think that no one under the age of 21 should be smoking pot, smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol. Sure they are going to sneak it, but the practice should not be condoned.
Derp. Who said anything about condoning it?

Are you implying that they don't do it in other states? Lets see about that:

Toking teens: 17 top states for marijuana use

Colorado doesn't even rank in the top 5....

Quote:
Smoking anything is bad for the lungs. And since the young adult brain doesn't fully finish developing until the age of 25, their substance abuse should be kept to a minimum while they are young.
Not what this thread is about, it is about the rediculous claim that legalzation leads to more teen use. Statistics says otherwise, period.

I wouldn't advise teens to inhale burning plant material, but that is NOT what the thread is about.

Quote:
So count me unimpressed by your thread.
Count me as unimpressed by your post that completely ignores the issue the thread is centered around, which is whether or not legalization leads to more teen use...

(In fact, if you don't want teens smoking... and teen usage has dropped since legalization, you must be for legalization, right?)

Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
How are the efforts going in those states? Just curious... I know Oregon and Alaska are commonly considered next in line. I figure once it goes to over 5-6 states legalizing, they will have to at the least, de-schedule it at the federal level, leaving it up to the states.

When that happens, I bet you see a majority of states move to legalization very rapidly.
I don't know about TX, but FL is in the works now. They legalized low THC strains two months ago and have a more expansive law on the ballot for November. I do know that Perry said something about decriminalizing and letting states decide, but he is stepping down.

Florida Became 24th State/District To Legalize/Decriminalized Medical Marijuana Today - FloridaMarijuanaInfo.org
Florida
United for Care
Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, Amendment 2 (2014) - Ballotpedia
Rick Perry urges move toward marijuana decriminalization - The Washington Post

Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:

Once again, the prohibitionists are proven conclusively wrong. This is just too fun, as legalization takes hold and continues to establish itself, the sky refuses to fall per the predictions of prohibitionists.

What a stupid title.

And a stupid argument, too.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:27 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:

That's awesome. Love our youth.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Once again, I support legalization but I am not sure that the claims here prove anyone wrong yet.

Pot was legalized in 2014 so what happened in 2013 is really irrelevant. It's going to take more time to come to any conclusions.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What a stupid title.

And a stupid argument, too.
Do you think the Prohibition of the early 1900s was a success?

I'm failing to see the failure in the legalization of marijuana argument.

Not only is pot less harmful than alcohol or tobacco, it may even have health benefits. Studies suggest that it can boost creativity, reduce stress (I think even those against it's legalization are aware of this one), and may even stop cancer growth. Tobacco is a carcinogen and it's legal, yet a natural method to slow the spread of cancer is illegal simply because we're too proud to admit we were wrong in claiming it as a dangerous drug? How pathetic this country truly is.

I think it's worth noting that often countries with few or not drug laws have less of a drug problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies