Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 02:47 PM

47,954 posts, read 21,930,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I am a married man and totally heterosexual and I do not fear homosexuals; neither do I think they are all pedophiles nor perverts. I would like to make a few comments here and ask that you take them as they are presented...constructively!

For those who think that homosexuals are that way by choice, let me ask you, would you as a heterosexual choose that lifestyle? I certainly wouldn't but, then again, God made me heterosexual...as he made some homosexual.

There are only three complaints I have about the homosexuals that I know:
1. The discussion is always sex oriented, not relationship oriented.
2. They misuse the word "gay". I dislike that as it screws up the meaning of many old songs and sayings, like "Have a gay old time". Lesbians call themselves lesbians and that is honest!
3. They think that every heterosexual is talking about them behind their backs and are "out to get them".. Puleeez, I have other things to do besides bashing others.

My two cents for what it's worth in this thread.
You really didnt need to start off with your credential as a totally heterosexual married man. But God forbid anyone think for a second that you are homosexual.

With regard to your #1: I can assure you that my partner and I do not discuss our sexual life with others. It is private. We are very openly "out" to everyone, but do have sex oriented discussions with anyone. TO THE CONTRARY I find straight society to be obsessed with their sexuality and to continuously shove it everyones face! Straight sexuality is displayed in public displays of affection everywhere; provocative pictures are everywhere; it is difficult to avoid hearing dirty sex jokes no matter how often you tell people that they are of no interest and even offensive; Movies, television, magazines, are all obsessed with straight sexuality; t-shirts carry sexual messages etc etc etc.

#2 The term "gay" sure beats the clinical term "homosexual" and it sure beats the insults that straights use to designate us like the term for a bundle of sticks, or "fairy" or "light in the loafers"! I do understand what you mean about setting up double entendres like When Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" but think about straight terms such as the term for an immature felilne that gives a whole new meaning to many childhood poems.

#3 I have had to endure one to many limp handshake mincing stepped lisping impersonations to agree with you that straights don't ridicule and mock gays behind our back. You probably are insensitive to how common the gay bashing comment and humor is in our society!

I think you have good intentions but you are totally insensitive to the damage done to my community by this type of humor. Suicide amongst gays is much higher than in the total population, violent crimes against gays, and even the unhappiness that occurs when gays marry trying so hard not to be gay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 02:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,127,515 times
Quote:

There are only three complaints I have about the homosexuals that I know:
1. The discussion is always sex oriented, not relationship oriented.
Actually, I don't mean to just carry on, but does anyone think it would be productive if I (or someone else) started another thread about this issue? I'm always interested discussing this. It would be like this thread but more specific, I guess.

I'll share a personal story. Years ago, this one girl I'd been introduced to at a party came into one of the restaurant's on our college's campus, saw me eating alone, and asked if she could join me. I said "sure," and she proceeded to tell me that she heard I was gay. She took it several steps further and told me she was bisexual, that she'd just met another girl at a party who was really hot and they'd had the best night the night before. She told me about what they did that night in way too much detail...as any detail at all would've been too much. I had no interest in hearing about this, and I was in complete disbelief that this person I had just met was telling me about her sex life. I was speechless and tempted to just leave but I sat there and endured her rambling politely and left sooner than I'd intended to.

That's an extreme example but it's that kind of thing that makes me not want to interact with people.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
TO THE CONTRARY I find straight society to be obsessed with their sexuality and to continuously shove it everyones face! Straight sexuality is displayed in public displays of affection everywhere; provocative pictures are everywhere; it is difficult to avoid hearing dirty sex jokes no matter how often you tell people that they are of no interest and even offensive; Movies, television, magazines, is all obsessed with straight sexuality; t-shirts carry sexual messages etc etc etc.
You know, this is a really good point. Sometimes I forget that straight society is just as sexualized. Well, maybe it is mainly a problem with society as a whole.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
You really didnt need to start off with your credential as a totally heterosexual married man. But God forbid anyone think for a second that you are homosexual.
A lot of times when people qualify like that, I figure they're doing so because they want to make the point that gay people aren't the only ones who support gay rights and equal treatment in general.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,405,406 times
I must break rank and support Mikey_NC here. He explained himself thoroughly and provided us with his opinions in a respectful manner. I happen to disagree with some of his beliefs, but at least he didn't take the cowardly path of "gay-bashing," which is far too common on this forum. I'm gay myself, and I DO find an extreme overemphasis is placed upon sex. I had a hard time finding a partner who didn't want to go down on me on the first date. Then again, most of my straight male peers are just as horny when it comes to eyeing up chicks, so I don't really buy any arguments that gays are more promiscuous than straights---if anything it is just easier for us to engage in intercourse because it is easier to get two men to consent to sex on a first date than it is to get a woman to (in most cases) due simply to our hormones. If a straight guy had the opportunity to have an attractive woman go down on him on the first date, I'm sure 95% of them wouldn't pass up such an opportunity. Guys in general are pigs---gay or straight. LOL!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I must break rank and support Mikey_NC here. He explained himself thoroughly and provided us with his opinions in a respectful manner. I happen to disagree with some of his beliefs, but at least he didn't take the cowardly path of "gay-bashing," which is far too common on this forum. I'm gay myself, and I DO find an extreme overemphasis is placed upon sex. I had a hard time finding a partner who didn't want to go down on me on the first date. Then again, most of my straight male peers are just as horny when it comes to eyeing up chicks, so I don't really buy any arguments that gays are more promiscuous than straights---if anything it is just easier for us to engage in intercourse because it is easier to get two men to consent to sex on a first date than it is to get a woman to (in most cases) due simply to our hormones. If a straight guy had the opportunity to have an attractive woman go down on him on the first date, I'm sure 95% of them wouldn't pass up such an opportunity. Guys in general are pigs---gay or straight. LOL!
I also found Mikey's post refreshing. And he said that his beliefs are based on the people he knows, and that's logical enough. And I don't think he was judging a whole minority group--he just said the people he knows are that way.

About the sexuality issue...is it really just men? Like I said in my post (okay one of the hundred in this thread, lol), I've encountered some gay and bisexual women who were way too sexual for me. I wonder if it's a youth issue. Whatever the case, it has been bothering me for years and I've been avoiding mostly for that reason.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:19 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,110,864 times
Thumbs up Thank you for your intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
My post was exactly that - my opinion and it WAS based upon the gay people that I know personally. I am sad that some of you took offense and immediately went on the defensive as I was not generalizing but simply stating my own beliefs based upon what I hear from gay friends.

I thought my post was respectful and I fail to see why anyone thought it was gay bashing.

Anyway, you didn't and that leaves hope for mankind and the old adage
Live and Let Live".

Old 12-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Thumbs up Yet more intelligence here in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I also found Mikey's post refreshing. And he said that his beliefs are based on the people he knows, and that's logical enough. And I don't think he was judging a whole minority group--he just said the people he knows are that way.

About the sexuality issue...is it really just men? Like I said in my post (okay one of the hundred in this thread, lol), I've encountered some gay and bisexual women who were way too sexual for me. I wonder if it's a youth issue. Whatever the case, it has been bothering me for years and I've been avoiding mostly for that reason.
Thank you for that. You are correct in stating that I was not judging an entire group but my facts are based upon those that I know personally.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
My post was exactly that - my opinion and it WAS based upon the gay people that I know personally. I am sad that some of you took offense and immediately went on the defensive as I was not generalizing but simply stating my own beliefs based upon what I hear from gay friends.

I thought my post was respectful and I fail to see why anyone thought it was gay bashing.

Anyway, you didn't and that leaves hope for mankind and the old adage
Live and Let Live".
I hope I don't get called out for speaking for someone, but I don't think the one poster who (might've) wanted to debate with you thought you were "gay bashing." He said he thought you were being insensitive, but I don't think anyone could've interpreted your post as gay bashing.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I hope I don't get called out for speaking for someone, but I don't think the one poster who (might've) wanted to debate with you thought you were "gay bashing." He said he thought you were being insensitive, but I don't think anyone could've interpreted your post as gay bashing.
He is entitled to his opinion but I will bet that he will change his mind if he only takes the time to read my post as I intended it to be read..."constructively". I am a lot of things but insensitive is NOT one of them.

Merry Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies