Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,104,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
You really didnt need to start off with your credential as a totally heterosexual married man. But God forbid anyone think for a second that you are homosexual.

With regard to your #1: I can assure you that my partner and I do not discuss our sexual life with others. It is private. We are very openly "out" to everyone, but do have sex oriented discussions with anyone. TO THE CONTRARY I find straight society to be obsessed with their sexuality and to continuously shove it everyones face! Straight sexuality is displayed in public displays of affection everywhere; provocative pictures are everywhere; it is difficult to avoid hearing dirty sex jokes no matter how often you tell people that they are of no interest and even offensive; Movies, television, magazines, are all obsessed with straight sexuality; t-shirts carry sexual messages etc etc etc.

#2 The term "gay" sure beats the clinical term "homosexual" and it sure beats the insults that straights use to designate us like the term for a bundle of sticks, or "fairy" or "light in the loafers"! I do understand what you mean about setting up double entendres like When Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" but think about straight terms such as the term for an immature felilne that gives a whole new meaning to many childhood poems.

#3 I have had to endure one to many limp handshake mincing stepped lisping impersonations to agree with you that straights don't ridicule and mock gays behind our back. You probably are insensitive to how common the gay bashing comment and humor is in our society!

I think you have good intentions but you are totally insensitive to the damage done to my community by this type of humor. Suicide amongst gays is much higher than in the total population, violent crimes against gays, and even the unhappiness that occurs when gays marry trying so hard not to be gay!
It is too bad you think I am insensitive as I am not. Certainly you have the right to debate what I said, but I do believe I was being fair and honest. I was neither insulting nor patronizing; Neither do I engage in gay bashing nor make lame jokes about gay people. I am not a deeply religious man but I do not make fun of God's work.

That being said, I do sympathize with the plight of gay people as you sure do take more than your share of lumps.

Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM

47,862 posts, read 21,884,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I am a married man and totally heterosexual and I do not fear homosexuals; neither do I think they are all pedophiles nor perverts. I would like to make a few comments here and ask that you take them as they are presented...constructively!

For those who think that homosexuals are that way by choice, let me ask you, would you as a heterosexual choose that lifestyle? I certainly wouldn't but, then again, God made me heterosexual...as he made some homosexual.

There are only three complaints I have about the homosexuals that I know:
1. The discussion is always sex oriented, not relationship oriented.
2. They misuse the word "gay". I dislike that as it screws up the meaning of many old songs and sayings, like "Have a gay old time". Lesbians call themselves lesbians and that is honest!
3. They think that every heterosexual is talking about them behind their backs and are "out to get them".. Puleeez, I have other things to do besides bashing others.

My two cents for what it's worth in this thread.
Quote:
It is too bad you think I am insensitive as I am not. Certainly you have the right to debate what I said, but I do believe I was being fair and honest. I was neither insulting nor patronizing; Neither do I engage in gay bashing nor make lame jokes about gay people. I am not a deeply religious man but I do not make fun of God's work.

That being said, I do sympathize with the plight of gay people as you sure do take more than your share of lumps.

Merry Christmas
Mikey

I really didnt mean to sound so argumentative, and I apologize for the edge that got into my response. It is a very emotional issue for me. It is more than "taking lumps" it is being aware of the tragic and fatal consequences of bigotry. I can see your attempt to be fair and respectful and appreciate that (as you know from the rep points that I sent to you for your comment) and from this apology. I still disagree with your 3 points and feel that they perpetuate the atmosphere where gay teenagers are at risk of physical violence and emotional abuse from peers, parents, teachers and clergy.

I am not a Christian, but I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Let me start by saying it is not my place to judge homosexuals and it sickens me to see the bigotry among fundamentalist Christians against this particular group of people.

That being said, does anybody think conservatives would have a change of heart toward the homosexual community if gay rights activists would stop dressing up like fairies and having parades or they stopped hosting street fairs where everybody runs around naked having sex in public?

Of course not all gays are like that, in fact most probably aren't, but that is all many people see of the gay community through the media. When the perception of gay people is that of this type of promiscuousity, its pretty obvious why they aren't accepted by the family values crowd.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:26 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,104,012 times
Thumbs up Understood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Mikey

I really didnt mean to sound so argumentative, and I apologize for the edge that got into my response. It is a very emotional issue for me. It is more than "taking lumps" it is being aware of the tragic and fatal consequences of bigotry. I can see your attempt to be fair and respectful and appreciate that (as you know from the rep points that I sent to you for your comment) and from this apology. I still disagree with your 3 points and feel that they perpetuate the atmosphere where gay teenagers are at risk of physical violence and emotional abuse from peers, parents, teachers and clergy.

I am not a Christian, but I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
elston: An apology is unnecessary as i know where you are coming from. You have every right to disagree with the three points I made as we, as Americans, have the right to disagree with each other.

Since I do not know what your religious preference is I cannot wish you a Merry or Happy....?? but I CAN wish you a double Happy and Prosperous New Year

Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM

385 posts, read 1,551,463 times
So, some of the points here are that if we return to the closet and do not have parades we will be accepted by society? Am I reading that correctly?

And we are not accepted by the family values crowd-speak for yourself. I am pretty well accepted by that crowd considering that is the crowd I hang out with. By family values, I mean we have a family to include children, we particpate in our childrens' school activities, our children excel academically, we go on family vacations with other families
gay and straight, we are invited to lots of family parties...I am not sure who these people are? If you mean, Fundamentalist Christians (or Methodists which is Mr. Bush's stated religion), then I would agree. But even they will often privately say one thing and do another quite publicly, so as far I am concerned, the jury is still out on them.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:49 PM

No, no, you took it wrong. There is a big difference between the closet and what goes on at many of these street fairs. If you want to see for yourself, here is a link.

WARNING: These pictures might be offensive to some
http://www.zombietime.com/folsom_sf_...rt_1/index.php

Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,900,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Let me start by saying it is not my place to judge homosexuals and it sickens me to see the bigotry among fundamentalist Christians against this particular group of people.

That being said, does anybody think conservatives would have a change of heart toward the homosexual community if gay rights activists would stop dressing up like fairies and having parades or they stopped hosting street fairs where everybody runs around naked having sex in public?

Of course not all gays are like that, in fact most probably aren't, but that is all many people see of the gay community through the media. When the perception of gay people is that of this type of promiscuousity, its pretty obvious why they aren't accepted by the family values crowd.
to be honest with you, I would be willing to bet that the dressing up and parades are in direct response to unacceptance by the family values crowd.
If you read earlier in this thread, many people have bluntly said that homosexuals are sinners and that god doesn't approve of it. So its fair enough to say, there's nothing gays can really do to gain the acceptance of these people, and why should they have to?
I'm not a rocket scientist, but basic psychology tells me outlandish, extreme provacative actions are done for the sake of attention, and in direct response to disapproving authority (society)

Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
to be honest with you, I would be willing to bet that the dressing up and parades are in direct response to unacceptance by the family values crowd.
If you read earlier in this thread, many people have bluntly said that homosexuals are sinners and that god doesn't approve of it. So its fair enough to say, there's nothing gays can really do to gain the acceptance of these people, and why should they have to?
I'm not a rocket scientist, but basic psychology tells me outlandish, extreme provacative actions are done for the sake of attention, and in direct response to disapproving authority (society)
True. Neither side is willing to give any compromise, and for this reason gays and Christians will probably remain at war for at least another 20 years until progressive Christianity gradually overtakes fundamentalism. Sad.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
elston: An apology is unnecessary as i know where you are coming from. You have every right to disagree with the three points I made as we, as Americans, have the right to disagree with each other.

Since I do not know what your religious preference is I cannot wish you a Merry or Happy....?? but I CAN wish you a double Happy and Prosperous New Year
Merry Christmas is just fine with me! I get into the swing of the season and consider Christmas to be a secular as well as a religious holiday. The Merry part is well within my tradition. Peace On Earth

Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
No, no, you took it wrong. There is a big difference between the closet and what goes on at many of these street fairs. If you want to see for yourself, here is a link.

WARNING: These pictures might be offensive to some
http://www.zombietime.com/folsom_sf_...rt_1/index.php

I am gay and I have no intention of going to the site that you posted, and I wouldnt recommend you spend too much time there, any more than I appreciate the Mardi Gras and Carnival excesses (If you have been to New Orleans you know what I am talking about.) On motorcycle weekends in Daytona there is similar excess of straight sex in and on the streets and beaches. Strip clubs, lap dances and nudie shows are in the same catagory. Bad taste is bad taste whether it be gay or straight and it really doesnt define the either community. I will say that the Gay Pride parades since "stonewall" have had a tremendous positive impact on the acceptance of the gay community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies