Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I am just throwing this out there for discussion.
Isn't there already a thread out there about bigotry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
True. They feel they were not allowed to come out or whatever they call it, and resent the fact that they couldn't. But why couldn't they? Embarassment, worried about what their own friends and family would say or think?

I mean if it isn't anything to be ashamed of why is it such a big deal to them. Could it be that inside they know it isn't normal? I am just throwing this out there for discussion.
I think that used to be true. That has thankfully changed in the general population over recent decades as most people no longer consider it much of a big deal at all, although Senator Craig teaches us this has not changed so much yet within the Republican Party.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, that's the name-calling thread. Enjoy....

Old 12-22-2007, 08:17 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well you had me at hello! your first paragraph I agree completely, your second , not so much!
What is there to disagree with about my second paragraph? I admitted that I get offended when people start making it about sex. You disagree that I'm offended? lol

Old 12-22-2007, 08:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
It is not at all seeking special treatment to ask that one be accorded equal rights and equal protection under the law. It is asking to be treated as everyone else is in the face of a long-standing ethos of relentless attacks and baseless discrimination.

Rhetoric aside, there are no rights or protections denied gays or any other American citizens.

Well, gays are supposed to have those inalienable rights, unless you all have decided to defease a few of those. Wouldn't put it past you.

Gratuitous insult noted.

Oh. So this is all that had been going on, and then gays all of a sudden decided to jump up and demand some of that there special treatment stuff, eh? Your apparent capacity for self-delusion is powerfully impressive in this case.
The rights they demand have been there all along. All they've had to do is use them. The self-delusion here is on the part of SOME gay people, and you -- for your habitual tactic of substituting denigration for argument.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I mean if it isn't anything to be ashamed of why is it such a big deal to them. Could it be that inside they know it isn't normal? I am just throwing this out there for discussion.
IMO, because even if you yourself (meaning the gay person coming out) know well that there's nothing wrong with you, the thought of your family not accepting you for whatever reason is enough to cause all kinds of stress. And then when they are accepting in a society like this, it's a gigantic relief and a blessing. Not everyone's so lucky to have family members like that--some kids just get kicked to the curb and disowned, figuratively or literally. Other people make it a big deal, to put it simply.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Ah I knew it wouldn' take long. . . True to form (and this forum!) with the usual suspects.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:28 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
IMO, because even if you yourself (meaning the gay person coming out) know well that there's nothing wrong with you, the thought of your family not accepting you for whatever reason is enough to cause all kinds of stress. And then when they are accepting in a society like this, it's a gigantic relief and a blessing. Not everyone's so lucky to have family members like that--some kids just get kicked to the curb and disowned, figuratively or literally. Other people make it a big deal, to put it simply.
Thank you for your post.

But this is exactly my point. . . if it is the persons own family and friends that are rejecting them it is not society, and maybe they should take another look. Why is there family non-accepting? Are they "bigots" (a word one of our dear forum members has already so predictaby thrown out) Or something else. . .

Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Rhetoric aside, there are no rights or protections denied gays or any other American citizens.
I just thought I'd post that again for its humor value.

Quote:
Gratuitous insult noted.
Hardly an insult. Rather an entirely objective analysis based on statements made such as the one above.

Quote:
The rights they demand have been there all along. All they've had to do is use them.
What happened to the plaintiffs in Lawrence v Texas when all they did was use those rights that had been there all along?

Quote:
The self-delusion here is on the part of SOME gay people, and you -- for your habitual tactic of substituting denigration for argument.
If your arguments are repeatedly being denigrated, perhaps you ought to come up with some better arguments. Or perhaps some more relevant rejoinders. Or, what the heck...throw caution to the wind...do both.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your post.

But this is exactly my point. . . if it is the persons own family and friends that are rejecting them it is not society, and maybe they should take another look. Why is there family non-accepting? Are they "bigots" (a word one of our dear forum members has already so predictaby thrown out) Or something else. . .
From what I've seen, people do take a look at that. Sometimes the person can spend years trying to figure out if it's their fault or their family's. I would compare it to some other issues, though these issues aren't identical by any means. But the point is that I think the family is being unreasonable.

-disapproving of your child dating someone of another ethnicity or religion
-disapproving of your child getting a piercing or tattoo (assuming your child is of the legal age wherever you are)
-I know of a girl who rejected her Pentecostal upbringing. She remained Christian but stopped being a part of that particular denomination, and her family resented this.

Now I have to ignore the faulty parallel structure in my own bulleted list.

Anyway, my point is to argue that just because family (and/or friends) don't accept doesn't necessarily mean that what you're doing is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies