Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7waterfall View Post
it has nothing to do with the education system, i believe us has way better education system than china, the problem is how much effort the parents/students are willing to put to help their children/themselves to be successful academically.
its awkward to me that americans are so used to blaming personal failure on external factors rather than themselves. when i was preparing for GRE test, no public school would teach that, i studied 16 hours a day for 2 months straight.
Nobody taught me spanish, i taught myself.
Rep for that. It is not our schools that have deteriorated. It is our families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I tend to agree with Ogbu's voluntary versus involuntary minority theory on education.

A bit on his theory:

Immigrant vs. Involuntary Minorities (Ogbu)

Immigrant vs. Involuntary Minorities (Ogbu)

Definition
Wells, Jacquelyn J.

John Ogbu, a Nigerian-American anthropologist, questioned the academic performance of minorities in American schools. He asked why some minorities succeed in American schools and some do not. He found a link between the students' identity of self and school performance. Minorities in the US, he concluded, are affected by their access to their racial heritage, culture, and language. After extensive studies in the Oakland, CA public schools, he found that there are two types of immigrant groups. (Ogbu 1978) Ogbu interviewed the parents of the minority children and found that parental involvement in learning, or lack of, plays an instrumental role in student performance.

Involuntary Minorities or Castelike Minorities are those who have been incorporated into society against their will. These groups have been systematically exploited throughout centuries, therefore their culture has been depreciated from slavery and colonization.(Diaz-Rico & Weed 2010) Because of long periods of discrimination, this group harbors a distrust of the host country's institutions, such as school. Involuntary minorities, due to discrimination and loss of identity, can have an oppositional approach to schools. Some students in this category feel as if the teachers treat them unfairly or they are not liked by the teaching staff. Some stuies suggest that these students can feel disconnected from the school's curriculum. Ogbu's interviews with the parents found that the parents mistrusted schools and teachers. Parents may feel that academic success will never help their child progress economically. (Jaynes 2005)

Voluntary Minorities chose to immigrate to the host country and they view the society in a positive way. This group takes an instrumental approach to the host country's institutions of schooling. They view schooling in terms of what they can get out of it. This group sees the school's teachers as experts. Though this group faces racial or religious discrimination, they do not internalize the mistreatment. Voluntary minorities attempt to adapt to the dominate culture and see this change as positive. They are willing to learn accept the cultural norms of the dominant group. (Foster 2004) Ogbu found that the families of this group encourage their children's academic performance.
Agreed to a point.

An example of the 1st group were the Irish: in 2014 most of us are doing well, maybe because so many of the drunkards and hooligans either stepped up or are now dead. I don't know.

Too: the 'Black problem" in schools seems to be more on the dudes; the younger Black ladies really seem to be stepping up and taking care of business like talking proper and NOT "acting the fool".

Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed to a point.

An example of the 1st group were the Irish: in 2014 most of us are doing well, maybe because so many of the drunkards and hooligans either stepped up or are now dead. I don't know.

Too: the 'Black problem" in schools seems to be more on the dudes; the younger Black ladies really seem to be stepping up and taking care of business like talking proper and NOT "acting the fool".
Thomas Sowell has pointed out that unlike almost all other ethnic groups females dominate among higher IQ African-Americans. The lack of a father in the home seems to be especially detrimental to young males.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Thomas Sowell has pointed out that unlike almost all other ethnic groups females dominate among higher IQ African-Americans. The lack of a father in the home seems to be especially detrimental to young males.
Mr Sowell also said many of the same things that hurt the "Black community", the Irish went through a LOT of the same stuff. Our history was damn nasty but; most of "my" people didn't sit around and moan about it, at least when sober and that was about 40 years ago.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And white students in Charleston only performed "14 and 33 percent higher" than ESL students. That is shameful. But hey, a thread that disparages minorities from EdrawdA!
It isn't even so much that. There is another thing to consider, that has not been talked about. South Carolina ranks quite low when it comes to education. SC ranks 40th in the nation as far as persons with high school diplomas. South Carolina ranks 37th in the USA as far as the percentage of adults over 25 with a Bachelor's degree. SC also has some of the lowest high school graduation rates in the USA.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Mr Sowell also said many of the same things that hurt the "Black community", the Irish went through a LOT of the same stuff. Our history was damn nasty but; most of "my" people didn't sit around and moan about it, at least when sober and that was about 40 years ago.
New York City draft riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
......and?

Does this mean Republicans will do something to help the black community?

(I doubt it.)
will the black community do something to help the black community? This all begins in the home.... unless you believe that blacks are incapable?

Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
I'm not surprised at all. Many students that speak English as a second language makes a contentious effort to write proper English.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
space_bar_broken

Of_course_they_test_poorly.
If_they_hear_bad_English_at_home,_they_won't_do_we ll.
Kids_who_learn_it_as_second_language_usually_don't _hear_ANY_English_at_home.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Lessee....You made this political,
im pretty sure the OP made it political by posting it in the politics thread instead of the education one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies