Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:01 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
When a huge institution and organization with dedicated and fanatic followers has for centuries openly stated and practiced a policy of demanding that those under their control totally convert and follow their doctrine or else be killed, I pay attention, and so should others. I much prefer killing them first than to wait meekly and be killed by them. Putting it bluntly, I advise the West to be much more forceful in dealing with the Muslim world.
Do you not see that exactly the same thing is true of Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Most of the Christians and Muslims I know do not consider themselves at war with the other.

You're suggesting that the problem with our Iraq misadventure was not enough killing? Not, say, the fact that we ousted a secular ruler who kept a lid on the same extremists you're now frightened to death of?
I was against the Iraq war because I (correctly) thought the extremists would take over if Saddam wasn't in charge. ISIS is actually more extreme than anything I imagined. So even if I was against the previous war I strongly favor going to war against ISIS and destroying them before they get any bigger. The world will be better off if we act now. There has never been a greater terror threat. We need war NOW...not just bombing but boots on the ground.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
LOL exactly!

As if these radical Islams only have problems with the Christians. They seem to haveproblems with everybody else. The gays, the Jews, atheists, even their own people (The moderate Muslims).
To add to that: Hindus, Buddhist and any native religion that may exist in the lands that they conquer. To the Apologist that say Islam has 'mostly' spread peacfully, all you have to look at is the Boko Haram, ISIS and 1400+ years of war between Sunnis and Shia to see that the religion as a whole has not spread peacefully. As we become more nonreligous in the west, Islamic nations become more devout and radical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Not a Christian, but I don't see Christians, Jews, Hindus or any others strapping suicide bombs on children, using churches to store weapons or screaming "Praise Jesus" or "Hari Krishna" before they self detonate or bring down an airplane.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-15-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 09:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Will Islam eventually win?

Nope.

Like every other religious faith, it will eventually end up on the scrap heap of history.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:46 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
I think they won when they attacked us on 9/11 and government now is in an out of control spiral into a police state. When liberty was so easily traded for safety, fear caused surrender. Without liberty, religion has no value and government will tell you what to worship.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 PM

410 posts, read 398,254 times
Quote:
Emphatically NO! No other world religion today is as vile and detestable as Islam.

Just today, 80 yazidis were butchered by ISIS yazidi-massacre
And not to be outdone, Boko Haram abducted a dozen children and men. boko-haram-abduction

Any ideas when were 80 people killed by radicals belonging to any other religion?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
When I see someone post something this ridiculous, I wonder if they really mean it or are just testing us and checking our replies.

Read a Christian bible sometime and see if there is anything in there close to what the Koran calls for.

Our entire western/liberal society is based on the teachings of the Christian bible.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:57 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
No, because it would be factually incorrect.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
When I see someone post something this ridiculous, I wonder if they really mean it or are just testing us and checking our replies.

Read a Christian bible sometime and see if there is anything in there close to what the Koran calls for.

Our entire western/liberal society is based on the teachings of the Christian bible.
I didn't mean that Christians have killed and waged war to advance Christianity, although that has often been the case with colonialism.

But, Christians certainly are no more peaceful than people of other religions; just look at the Holocaust. It was perpetrated by people who largely called themselves Christians. Or, look at the U.S. and its early history of genocide of native people by the Christian Puritans. Or for that matter, look at slavery in the U.S. and all its injustices and violence, often perpetrated and practiced by church-going people proud to call themselves Christian. Born-again evangelicals seem to be some of the most hateful and small-minded people around, and aren't they Christian?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 PM

39,207 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I didn't mean that Christians have killed and waged war to advance Christianity, although that has often been the case with colonialism.

But, Christians certainly are no more peaceful than people of other religions; just look at the Holocaust. It was perpetrated by people who largely called themselves Christians. Or, look at the U.S. and its early history of genocide of native people by the Christian Puritans. Or for that matter, look at slavery in the U.S. and all its injustices and violence, often perpetrated and practiced by church-going people proud to call themselves Christian. Born-again evangelicals seem to be some of the most hateful and small-minded people around, and aren't they Christian?

Is Christian God a vindictive God, a punishing God or a loving caring God?

In Scripture, you'll see only one group that consistently angered Jesus...the religious self-righteous.

Jesus is really okay with everybody else, including prostitutes and criminals. The religious elite saddened Jesus. He saw them as judgmental, arrogant, uncaring, and hypocritical.

If "A," then "B." Prove you are worthy.

what did Jesus say

Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Was Hitler an "honest to God" Christian, or was he simply using religion as a means of control?

Historian Paul Johnson wrote that Hitler hated Christianity with a passion, adding that shortly after assuming power in 1933, Hitler told Hermann Rauschnig that he intended "to stamp out Christianity root and branch."

Also, it seems probable that Hitler, being the great manipulator, knew that he couldn't fight the Christian churches and their members right off the bat. So he made statements to put the church at ease and may have patronized religion as a way to prevent having to fight the Christian-based church.

Why an afterlife is bad

Galatians 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies