Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do rioters steal from stores? (opinion)
It's wrong. Period. 21 17.65%
It's terribly wrong. They are using the event as an excuse to steal from stores. 73 61.34%
Sure. Let them "smash and grab."Somebody needs to pay for their anger. 6 5.04%
The innocent store owners do not deserve the vandalizing and destruction of their stores. 19 15.97%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
Who has treated you like crap? It would have to have been someone in your work place or someone you personally came in contact with I might venture. None of the rioters have treated me like crap on a personal basis. I only stated that those engaged in the rioting cast a shadow over their race, which even you must admit they do. It's not your fault though.
Who? I shouldn't have to explain myself,but if I must, I will. I've been subjected to harassment. Currently, I'm living with my parents temporarily(and waiting on a job to come through). I've been subjected to racial harassment quite a few times. Some people have driven past me and screamed racial slurs at me. My days in high school, I saw racial tensions first hand. I remember a few students who basically said they were going to "lynch me".

That is some of the overt stuff. I was in a bookstore one afternoon, minding my own business. I was reading the books. The clerk kept following me around the store, basically keeping her eye on me, the one Black guy in the store. A surprise surprise, I wasn't dressed like "a thug". I was dressed like I came out of church. 10 or 15 people in the store, and I'm the only one who gets followed. After getting hassled, I left the store, vowing never to return. I felt like if someone was going to treat me like some kind of criminal, maybe they don't deserve MY money. I can take my money elsewhere.

Similar incidents happened to me in two gas stations. I got followed around like a criminal. And this was in a small town. I decided never to spend my money there ever again.

As for those rioters, well, I know nothing about those rioters. I can't control what they do. I can only control ME and what I do. There is a difference between the rioters and the protesters. The protesters are going about things peacefully. Rioters are not. Looters just don't care. You have the protesters who are trying to do something constructive. You have rioters who want revenge and believe that the only violence will get the message across. And then you have opportunistic looters. However, no one seems to tell the difference between protesters, rioters, and looters. Same thing in the Black population at large. No one seems to care to tell the difference between diligent Black people and the underclass. I care because I'm not part of that criminal element. You asked earlier(in another thread) if I was looking for a pat on the back. No I am not. I want to be treated just like anyone else. What is bothering me is that there are those who don't differentiate between regular Black people and underclass Blacks and lumping the diligent Black people in with the crooks and criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM

201 posts, read 148,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Who? I shouldn't have to explain myself,but if I must, I will. I've been subjected to harassment. Currently, I'm living with my parents temporarily(and waiting on a job to come through). I've been subjected to racial harassment quite a few times. Some people have driven past me and screamed racial slurs at me. My days in high school, I saw racial tensions first hand. I remember a few students who basically said they were going to "lynch me".

That is some of the overt stuff. I was in a bookstore one afternoon, minding my own business. I was reading the books. The clerk kept following me around the store, basically keeping her eye on me, the one Black guy in the store. A surprise surprise, I wasn't dressed like "a thug". I was dressed like I came out of church. 10 or 15 people in the store, and I'm the only one who gets followed. After getting hassled, I left the store, vowing never to return. I felt like if someone was going to treat me like some kind of criminal, maybe they don't deserve MY money. I can take my money elsewhere.

Similar incidents happened to me in two gas stations. I got followed around like a criminal. And this was in a small town. I decided never to spend my money there ever again.

As for those rioters, well, I know nothing about those rioters. I can't control what they do. I can only control ME and what I do. There is a difference between the rioters and the protesters. The protesters are going about things peacefully. Rioters are not. Looters just don't care. You have the protesters who are trying to do something constructive. You have rioters who want revenge and believe that the only violence will get the message across. And then you have opportunistic looters. However, no one seems to tell the difference between protesters, rioters, and looters. Same thing in the Black population at large. No one seems to care to tell the difference between diligent Black people and the underclass. I care because I'm not part of that criminal element. You asked earlier(in another thread) if I was looking for a pat on the back. No I am not. I want to be treated just like anyone else. What is bothering me is that there are those who don't differentiate between regular Black people and underclass Blacks and lumping the diligent Black people in with the crooks and criminals.
I guess it comes with the territory. I haven't been exposed to it as much as you but being part Choctaw, I was the beneficiary of some discrimination especially in school. I was a whole lot darker in skin color than were the other students. I didn't let it get to me too much and after the other students got to know me, we all got along fine. It is true you have no party with the looters and rioters but their actions will trickle down to affect Black people in general. it's just the way things are and there is nothing anyone can do about it except the "low class" element themselves.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I guess it comes with the territory. I haven't been exposed to it as much as you but being part Choctaw, I was the beneficiary of some discrimination especially in school. I was a whole lot darker in skin color than were the other students. I didn't let it get to me too much and after the other students got to know me, we all got along fine. It is true you have no party with the looters and rioters but their actions will trickle down to affect Black people in general. it's just the way things are and there is nothing anyone can do about it except the "low class" element themselves.
Being part Choctaw might get you some issues, but being Black comes with alot of problems. I would have you think about this. In Oklahoma, Blacks were not allowed to intermarry with Whites or Native Americans. However, Whites and Native Americans were allowed to intermarry. The way I see it, Native Americans have been treated badly. However, I don't see people having a problem claiming their Native American ancestry.

Blacks are hated much worse than anyone else, and they have been hated much more than anyone else for years. This dates back to the Reconstruction days and before. The reason I have a problem with it is because this has been a problem for years, and I figured we would be over these issues by now. I can't really trust if it is really about bad behavior or if this is just a continuation of the same prejudice and now people just have an excuse.

The "it is what it is" train of thought, I have an issue for this reason. I'm not going anywhere. I'm living here. If I am going to live here, then I feel I should be able to live my life without having to worry about how people will perceive me based on my race.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 PM

^What I'm trying to say is this. Why should anything the underclass do stick to the rest of the Black population? What is the benefit of that?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:23 PM

201 posts, read 148,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
^What I'm trying to say is this. Why should anything the underclass do stick to the rest of the Black population? What is the benefit of that?
Unless you wear a sign declaring yourself to not being one of them, there is no way anyone can separate you from them. If you watch the news today, the fact that a young Black man was shot is hardly even at issue. The news is all about the rioting and looting. The whole issue of the shooting has been overshadowed by the rioting and looting. This is what the people see. This is what the people will remember. The lawless actions of the few will do great and lasting injustice to the entire Black community. That may seem a bitter and unfair pill to swallow but it is what it is.

I had one coach in high school who never let go of the fact that I was dark and part Choctaw. The jerk made it a point to bring it up in a most derogatory manner at least three or four times a week. I might have enjoyed having that dude's scalp hanging from my belt.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:27 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It seems when there is an uprising, the rioters break into store windows and steal everything they can. What does this have to do with the cause of what happened?

Do you think Looters use this opportunity to smash and grab?
They are already predisposed to thieving, the uprising is just an opportunity to provide cover for the act.
Sadly the legitimate protesters all get labeled as such.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-17-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 06:26 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Default Mayor says majority of looters were from out of town...

Mayor makes startling disclosure on looters

The mayor said the majority of looters were out-of-towners, who burned, stole, smashed, looted and destroyed.

They came into our town and destroyed businesses and left our town in ruins. So, it was not a Furgeson issue but a crime of opportunity for those not living here.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Who has treated you like crap? It would have to have been someone in your work place or someone you personally came in contact with I might venture. None of the rioters have treated me like crap on a personal basis. I only stated that those engaged in the rioting cast a shadow over their race, which even you must admit they do. It's not your fault though.
No, they cast a shadow over themselves. You use it as an excuse to cast a shadow over a whole race because you are prejudice.

When a white people go on a killing sprees does it cast a shadow on the whole white race? Does white poverty in WV, Mississippi and Kentucky cast a shadow on white America?

You are cherry picking bad events to paint a race in a negative light.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
[/color][/b]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^trash like freebies^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup. It's just an excuse to steal. I feel for the store owners because they don't deserve this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies