Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,281,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Just read this tragic and sad article:

Frisco teen charged in parents' deaths 'was very sheltered,' friend says | Dallas Morning News

I have never met normal, well adjusted parents who homeschool. Almost without fail, those I know of who homeschool have an extremist religious or political agenda, are over-controlling nutbars (like in the case of the article), or conspiracy theorists who rail against "government schools..."

Why is the percentage of unbalanced people who homeschool their kids apparently so high?
No I dont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,450,038 times
Quote:
Uhh, yes it is. As a parent who teaches your kid you should certainly know this.
Depends on the state.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,102,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Depends on the state.
Education is compulsory in every state. If you opt out of the public/private school system, in every state I know of, there are standards in place to insure the child is actually being educated. Some states do have stronger regulations than others.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,712,967 times
Quote:

Frisco teen charged in parents' deaths 'was very sheltered,' friend says | Dallas Morning News

I have never met normal, well adjusted parents who homeschool. Almost without fail, those I know of who homeschool have an extremist religious or political agenda, are over-controlling nutbars (like in the case of the article), or conspiracy theorists who rail against "government schools..."

Why is the percentage of unbalanced people who homeschool their kids apparently so high?
Since he homeschooled, I guess you could call it a "school shooting." But those never happen in public school, right?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,664,120 times
Quote:
Education is compulsory in every state. If you opt out of the public/private school system, in every state I know of, there are standards in place to insure the child is actually being educated. Some states do have stronger regulations than others.

It varies a lot from state to state. HSLDA | Home School Laws

Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Maybe you just attract people with screws loose.
Birds of a feather . . .

Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,927,441 times
Yes, I do know people who home school their children. Several of them.
They are all nice people.
I also know people who WOULD home school their kids, if they had the time and the expertise, because they hate the way the public schools are being taken over by the Federal Government; they don't like "No Child Left Behind", they don't like the "New Math", they don't like the lack of some subjects (shop classes, Home economics, Civics, etc.), they don't like the revisionist histories that are being taught, etc.
Yes, in some cases, religion has something to do with it, but not in all cases. Mostly it is simply anger at the public education system.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
No because in a public school setting there are other normalizing influences. Not so with a child who is isolated in a homeschool situation.
Schools are actually an artificial socialization setting. Historically, the majority of human beings didn't ever attend school. And NONE of the children that I know who are homeschooled are isolated. They have brothers and sisters and cousins and friends. More than that, they are involved with numerous community programs. They play sports, they volunteer, they are in scouts and 4H programs.

I think you have a misperception about home-schooling. And I think you've idealized schools and the socialization experience there.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 AM

From the article, here are the things considered extreme:

Quote:
Neighbors said the parents were strict with their son. He couldn’t drink soda, his Internet use was monitored, and he always had a certain time to be home.
“He was very sheltered,” said friend Jonathon Marcum, 15. “If he broke the guidelines, he got punished.”

As an example, he said, the teen wasn’t allowed to watch R-rated movies. PG-13 movies had violent scenes edited out by a service before the teen could watch them, he said.

She said she saw the teen out mowing the lawn every week.
It also said his high school aged sibling went to public school, but this kid wanted to be homeschooled.

His parents wanted him to eat healthy, avoid bad stuff on the internet, not watch R rated movies, obey a curfew and mow the law every week. Oh the horrors!

My middle school aged kids go to public school and I make them eat healthy, check their Instragram accounts occasionally, and only let them PG13 movies that have some value (historical, an important message). I guess that makes me an extremist whack job too. Most people just call me a good parent.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM

58,684 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:

"I have never met normal, well adjusted parents who homeschool."

You really need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies